Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

He's been a great club man and in my opinion, and many others I know who watched them both, he was at least Given's equal.

It was Given's more dominant personality which kept him in the number one spot.

Harper's an intelligent and likeable person, it's a shame they can't find a position in the club for him but I'm sure he'll have no shortage of offers in media etc.

I can't help thinking there's more to this than meets the eye. This could easily be part of an elaborate cover-up. What do we know about Steve Harper's sexual preferences?

Well he does know a bit of French

Reckon he might sign on with Birmingham to join up with Lee Clarke and replace Butland? He should still be decent for the Championship and won't demand much from a cash-strapped club.

Hope he comes back in some capacity, maybe a Gk coach for the reserves or youth sides once he decides to hang up his gloves.

Great servant to the club and I agree that if were not for Shay Given, Harper would have been capped by England at some point. Surely he is will overdue and deserving of a testimonial? I know I would go along to such an event.

Maybe have him play up front too :thup:

Incredible. It seems like he has been here forever and yet I have only been following Newcastle for half his time here. It's crazy seeing his name alongside the legendary players that I wish I was around for. Good luck in the future Steve!

Guest firetotheworks

Nice guy, used to be quite good too. Sad to see him go.

:thup:

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: f***ing unbelievable he's still here.

:clap: Fair play to the lad. It's been said over and over, but he could have forged a pretty good Prem career elsewhere. There were times when you could argue there was little difference between Harper and Given. If he'd been number 1 at a club for 10 years poor lad may have played for England.

Feel like we've cheated him a little. Bloody appreciate his loyalty though.

Cheers Steve :thup:

Don't get me wrong I think he's been a great servant for the club, but how can we know this given how little he actually played? It's one of those kind of folklore myths that he was as good a Shay and because it can't be disproved everyone seems to have gone along with it. Given was one of the best in the league for a fair period - it's difficult to conclude that someone who has barely played 200 games in nearly 20 years was on a comparable level.

Just before the Chelsea FA Cup Semi Final is the exact point when there genuinely was very little between them imo.

You can't question his loyalty to the club even though you can (and I have, on numerous occasions) question his career choices. Now's not the time for that though, I wish him all the best. He's rarely let his club down and was a major player for us in our promotion season when it could have quite easily gone to complete shit. And for that I'm grateful to him.

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: f***ing unbelievable he's still here.

:clap: Fair play to the lad. It's been said over and over, but he could have forged a pretty good Prem career elsewhere. There were times when you could argue there was little difference between Harper and Given. If he'd been number 1 at a club for 10 years poor lad may have played for England.

Don't get me wrong I think he's been a great servant for the club, but how can we know this given how little he actually played? It's one of those kind of folklore myths that he was as good a Shay and because it can't be disproved everyone seems to have gone along with it. Given was one of the best in the league for a fair period - it's difficult to conclude that someone who has barely played 200 games in nearly 20 years was on a comparable level.

Just before the Chelsea FA Cup Semi Final is the exact point when there genuinely was very little between them imo.

I'd even go as far as the Troyes 4-4. Given dropped a bollock at Chelsea, had a 'mare that night against Troyes and there was talk that Harper was going to be brought in after that. Bobby stuck by Given and he ended up in the Premier League Team of the Season.

I'd even go as far as the Troyes 4-4. Given dropped a bollock at Chelsea, had a 'mare that night against Troyes and there was talk that Harper was going to be brought in after that. Bobby stuck by Given and he ended up in the Premier League Team of the Season.

Maybe and perhaps I am showing my age, but I just find it difficult to accept as fact that he was Given's equal. Shay has played over 400 games in the PL and was twice in the PFA team of the year. Harper has 50 odd PL appearances, the majority of which came out of necessity. We can speculate he might have been as good, but it's by no means the certainty that some people make out IMO.

I'm rather gutted by this news like but we all knew it was going to come eventually.

I've always liked Harper, he really has been a magnificent servant for us these past two decades. Sure, he could/should have moved onto pastures new a lot earlier in his career but I won't hold that against him too much - he has shown some great loyalty. And certainly for me whenever he has featured for us, he has always done a solid enough job and was very much a reliable keeper for us (yes, even at times this season although it is fair to say that he's not the keeper he used to be a couple of years ago but that does happen with age). Hope he comes back in some coaching capacity, he is very much a likeable bloke.

Going to be weird seeing a Newcastle squad without Harper being in it next season. You'll be missed Harps, best of luck.

I'm rather gutted by this news like but we all knew it was going to come eventually.

I've always liked Harper, he really has been a magnificent servant for us these past two decades. Sure, he could/should have moved onto pastures new a lot earlier in his career but I won't hold that against him too much - he has shown some great loyalty. And certainly for me whenever he has featured for us, he has always done a solid enough job and was very much a reliable keeper for us (yes, even at times this season although it is fair to say that he's not the keeper he used to be a couple of years ago but that does happen with age). Hope he comes back in some coaching capacity, he is very much a likeable bloke.

Going to be weird seeing a Newcastle squad without Harper being in it next season. You'll be missed Harps, best of luck.

:lol: Gutted.

You are too lovely sifu, you'll never realise your potential, you could be an admin but you will never commit. The forums Steve Harper.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/feb2008/6/1/412DB441-F511-B7D5-5A7D3A9025F76E6B.jpg

:lol:  fucking absurd when we decided to do that.

Forgot we ever signed Hartson, mental!

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe and perhaps I am showing my age, but I just find it difficult to accept as fact that he was Given's equal. Shay has played over 400 games in the PL and was twice in the PFA team of the year. Harper has 50 odd PL appearances, the majority of which came out of necessity. We can speculate he might have been as good, but it's by no means the certainty that some people make out IMO.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, tbf. Most people will either say he wasn't as good, he was as good as Given at one point, or there was little between them at one point.

You can't question his loyalty to the club even though you can (and I have, on numerous occasions) question his career choices. Now's not the time for that though, I wish him all the best. He's rarely let his club down and was a major player for us in our promotion season when it could have quite easily gone to complete s***. And for that I'm grateful to him.