George Caulkin

Tooj

Great piece. I think football has changed forever now though, certainly at the top level.

Not sure what you mean by that. Recent cup finals show that there is actually more chance of a surprise package ending up there, not less.

Just that PL survival is everything to a lot of clubs. Essentially the approach to the cups from Sunderland was the same as ours, the difference is they got to later rounds and had something in their sights, whereas we failed immediately.

A actually now kind of hope Sunderland stay up. Otherwise it'll be another thing we get thrown at us as to why we can't try to win a cup - "Look at Sunderland, do you want that?"

Even though the reality is that the mackems were rooted to the bottom of the league long before their first cup game and have actually done better since as they've used their cup success as a springboard to improving their league form and confidence.

Even though the reality is that the mackems were rooted to the bottom of the league long before their first cup game and have actually done better since as they've used their cup success as a springboard to improving their league form and confidence.

tbf I think their springboard to improved form was more about ditching the unhinged Italian nutjob who was managing them previously.

Great piece. I think football has changed forever now though, certainly at the top level.

Not sure what you mean by that. Recent cup finals show that there is actually more chance of a surprise package ending up there, not less.

BUT YOU INEVITABLY GET RELEGATED!!!!

While several other clubs had recently suffered relegation after winning a domestic cup, NUFC still put out a strong team against Cardiff City which was capable of progressing into the next round of the FA Cup.

"Do you want us to be the next Wigan, Portsmouth, etc" is the new "Do you want us to be the next Portsmouth, Leeds, etc"

People have probably said "I think football has changed forever now though" every year since 1888. It's the same as "I don't think anyone can break into the top X now" where X happens to be the number of dominant teams in the current season, but almost inevitably some team does in the following year or two. It's all just bollocks to justify not trying.

BUT YOU INEVITABLY GET RELEGATED!!!!

While several other clubs had recently suffered relegation after winning a domestic cup, NUFC still put out a strong team against Cardiff City which was capable of progressing into the next round of the FA Cup.

"Do you want us to be the next Wigan, Portsmouth, etc" is the new "Do you want us to be the next Portsmouth, Leeds, etc"

People have probably said "I think football has changed forever now though" every year since 1888. It's the same as "I don't think anyone can break into the top X now" where X happens to be the number of dominant teams in the current season, but almost inevitably some team does in the following year or two. It's all just bollocks to justify not trying.

:thup:

• 1 month later...
Guest twickmag

Missed it, but the only article in the hard copy by Caulkin is a brief one about Mackems failure to retain Colback