Ashley to keep club, put £20m in and consider stadium naming rights

Ashley17

Badly in need of a new PR man, but fair play.

Expand?

upon?

How we need a new PR man?...

And:

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zptc1y.png

Better?  :aww:

'Upon' needs to be swapped with 'for' or 'embraced by' if you want to attract the more cosmopolitan toon fans.

Well you're right about Keegans appointment. It was an ill thought out desperate attempt to get the fans on side and bring back days that were long gone. The club had changed, football had changed and Keegan had changed. Anyone with a degree if sense could see it would end badly. Adding Wise and stooges simply pressed the fast forward button to the inevitable.

The annoying thing is I gather it was very much Ashley's decision, and lots of people were advising him against it.

As I said, he brought to the job this attitude of wanting to be one of the fans, and while I don't think any of them were putting forward Keegan's name as he sat there in the stands, Ashley had this head-in-the-clouds mindset and it seems he couldn't resist organising the Messiah's return.

Ashley has a history in business of achieving success through bold and unorthodox decisions. Despite all the indications that Keegan would be a round peg in a square hole, he still backed his judgement against people who were in a position to know better. It's been a big dose of humble pie ever since.

So this in effect makes Ashley incredibly stupid as he was obviously aware of the role those 'above' Keegan played. A man with his history of success would surely realise that KK would not go with what resulted in KK being vindicated in the tribunal hearing? The guy is a fucking idiot, that is clear and he is not fit to run a football club.

Expand?

upon?

And:

'Upon' needs to be swapped with 'for' or 'embraced by' if you want to attract the more cosmopolitan toon fans.

Actually from just an English grammar perspective, it should read 'associated with' and its '117 years of tradition and identity associated with St James' Park and the city of Newcastle Upon Tyne' if we want it to make sense in the language it's written.

TU, I would remove the 'or may not' have heard, may have heard covers both possibilities anyway, that's what it means.

I would refer to Ashley as 'Mike Ashley', makes it seem more professional IMO.

I would go for 'tradition and identity in the city of Newcastle'.

Does anyone else see a bit of black humour in amongst the hysteria surrounding the SJP naming rights furore ?

In amongst everything that has gone wrong in the last two years and PR gaffes by the bucket full, a mere proposition - a cosmetic one at that and one which will probably never be carried through, has become THE issue. THe tabloid press must be loving it.

I'd hate to see SJP renamed and don't think it really could be - it simply won't work - although in another country HSV Hamburg's 60,000 fans seemed to adapt to the AOL Arena quite well - does anyone know how much is involved in these deals ?

I also remember certain "conservatives" saying that that clubs were selling out when they "emblazoned" their shirts with sponsor's names. That all seems like a long time ago - bloody hell we even had "Greenalls" on them once upon a time.

Traditionalists similarly said renaming the F.A. cup would signal the end of that competition.

Perhaps we should blame the businesses ( mostly Geordie and NE based) who have deserted SJP, for the drop in finances which have led to crackpot ideas like this to increase funds.

In the farce of Newcastle United I can see this as no more than a minor sub-plot, mere dramatic relief, and I'd be much more concerned about how we get promoted and the framework of our scouting policies etc.

Still once again it gives the "politician fans" something to bang their drum about and will provide the nation at large with even more amusement at our expense.

Does anyone else see a bit of black humour in amongst the hysteria surrounding the SJP naming rights furore ?

In amongst everything that has gone wrong in the last two years and PR gaffes by the bucket full, a mere proposition - a cosmetic one at that and one which will probably never be carried through, has become THE issue. THe tabloid press must be loving it.

I'd hate to see SJP renamed and don't think it really could be - it simply won't work - although in another country HSV Hamburg's 60,000 fans seemed to adapt to the AOL Arena quite well - does anyone know how much is involved in these deals ?

I also remember certain "conservatives" saying that that clubs were selling out when they "emblazoned" their shirts with sponsor's names. That all seems like a long time ago - bloody hell we even had "Greenalls" on them once upon a time.

Traditionalists similarly said renaming the F.A. cup would signal the end of that competition.

Perhaps we should blame the businesses ( mostly Geordie and NE based) who have deserted SJP, for the drop in finances which have led to crackpot ideas like this to increase funds.

In the farce of Newcastle United I can see this as no more than a minor sub-plot, mere dramatic relief, and I'd be much more concerned about how we get promoted and the framework of our scouting policies etc.

Still once again it gives the "politician fans" something to bang their drum about and will provide the nation at large with even more amusement at our expense.

Another way of looking at it is that it is an issue which almost unanimously unites our usually fractured and increasingly apathetic support.  Good thing imo, but I know what you mean about it not exactly being the biggest issue - it's more just a cheeky, humiliating kick in the bollocks when we're already lying in the gutter.

The thing about the naming rights is that it's an issue that we might have a chance to effect.

It depends on external companies (potential sponsors) who will not want to enter a hostile atmosphere. I don't think it makes us look bad in the tabloids at all... I think it's getting to the point now where they mainly feel sorry for us.

Expand?

upon?

And:

Stay behind where?

Why have you got TU.com on the poster when that isnt your website?

Another way of looking at it is that it is an issue which almost unanimously unites our usually fractured and increasingly apathetic support.  Good thing imo, but I know what you mean about it not exactly being the biggest issue - it's more just a cheeky, humiliating kick in the bollocks when we're already lying in the gutter.

Which really makes me quite suspicious about all of this. On the day they make 2 major announcements they throw this snippet in too, knowing the hysteria it will cause.

I'm not sure why, but the hysterical ones may be playing right into their hands like some kind of 3 card trick ????

Expand?

upon?

And:

Stay behind where?

As someone said earlier, getting many Newcastle fans just to stay in the stadium until the final whistle would be quite an achievment.

I intend to do my 5pm protesting in a nearby bar, perhaps one with smaller queues than normal.

Which was renamed/rebranded to the HSH Nordbank Arena two years ago and will be the Imtech Arena from next year on because due to the current banking crisis the sponsor cancelled the deal.

The result? The stadium is more than often referred to by its old name not only by the fans but also by the media, though latter quite often speak of the (non-existent) HSV-Arena...

Guest Micktoon

Expand?

upon?

And:

Stay behind where?

As someone said earlier, getting many Newcastle fans just to stay in the stadium until the final whistle would be quite an achievment.

I intend to do my 5pm protesting in a nearby bar, perhaps one with smaller queues than normal.

Protesting will bring media attention. However Ashley won't give a flying fuck. He's proven on more than one occasion that he doesn't give a toss what we think, why should it be different this time.

Just watch the new kit will be emblazoned with sports direct and will consisist of red and white stripes. Probably rename us Cockney mafia United.

Face it the club's his toy and he'll play with it whichever way he wants.

Which was renamed/rebranded to the HSH Nordbank Arena two years ago and will be the Imtech Arena from next year on because due to the current banking crisis the sponsor cancelled the deal.

The result? The stadium is more than often referred to by its old name not only by the fans but also by the media, though latter quite often speak of the (non-existent) HSV-Arena...

Sorry about the minor detail  :blush:  but I suppose that proves how futile attempting to re-brand a stadium is. I have never referred to the Leazes or Gallowgate as anything other than Leazes and Gallowgate and SJP would be the same.

The time for ALL  football fans to worry is if the Millerntor Stadium was ever offered for commercial sponsorship, although strictly speaking that is the Willem Koch Stadion -but that is leading us onto another discussion altogether.