Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

check a video called 'Sol Campbell Returns' - obviously shows recent footage of him

the music choice for the video is strange however, it's like....too suductive :lol:

Richard Dunne outpacing him at 0:30. Dennis would never have allowed him to sign for us based on damning evidence like that.

I think his slow pace could be a serious problem for us. Coloccini is slow as well. Two slow defenders are not good omen. And can our fitness regime keep Campbell fit and agile ?

I appreciate that he is still an excellent game reader and a real physical presence. But we don't have anyone to cover his pace. Hopefully I am just being too pessimistic

He should be club captain anyway.

It would solve a problem, because there are doubts about the existing candidates. Nolan and Smith might not hold down a first team place in the Premiership. Barton has his wild moments. I don't think there's anyone else.

If someone's going to lose their job, it may be better if it's not to someone from within.

check a video called 'Sol Campbell Returns' - obviously shows recent footage of him

the music choice for the video is strange however, it's like....too suductive :lol:

Richard Dunne outpacing him at 0:30. Dennis would never have allowed him to sign for us based on damning evidence like that.

I think his slow pace could be a serious problem for us. Coloccini is slow as well. Two slow defenders are not good omen. And can our fitness regime keep Campbell fit and agile ?

I appreciate that he is still an excellent game reader and a real physical presence. But we don't have anyone to cover his pace. Hopefully I am just being too pessimistic

I really wouldn't say Campbell is slow, not like Colo is slow. The other significant thing with that video is that when a player did get past him, he somehow managed to nick the ball, or get his body in the way. When Colo is beaten, he stays beaten.

Seems you missed the earlier discussion.. He's apparently the fastest player in the Premier League along with Walcott :lol:

Don't know what the problem is - as cover he is better than any other covering player we have. Even on £35,000 a week, if it is a 1 year deal then it is a low financial commitment. Less risky than an unknown kid on a 4 year deal at £20K.

And you shouldn't underestimate the value of having an experienced defender who has been one of the best in the world (for admittedly short periods) in the squad. Who has Taylor had to learn from in the past? Even training with a top defender can have a positive impact on some of the younger defenders still learning how to defend.

Guest Stephen927

check a video on youtube called 'Sol Campbell Returns' - obviously shows recent footage of him

What a challenge that is at 1:20.

I'm quite bewildered by anyone's thought processes who is unhappy with this deal.

I think the thought process doesn't extend much further than "I want someone who is young, really good, ready to fit in straight away in the premiership and who is free" which happens all the time obviously so it's a fair set of demands and makes a mockery of any team that spends lots of money on players.