Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronnie Gale saying that he won't be made captain

CHRIS HUGHTON today confirmed that Sol Campbell will NOT be appointed captain at Newcastle United.

And this leaves the door open for Kevin Nolan or Alan Smith to step into the breach that has been left vacant since Nicky Butt quit the Magpies last season.

Chroniclelive revealed on July 23 that Nolan was in the box seat to be made new captain, but Hughton is still to reveal his decision, with Nolan, Smith and Joey Barton skippering the Magpies this summer so far.

However, after ruling out a player-coaching role for the 35-year-old yesterday, Hughton again insisted he wants Campbell to focus on playing.

He told the Chronicle today: "I can categorically say that Sol will not be captain.

"I can completely rule that out and there is no truth in the talk that he will skipper this season.

"That is still to be confirmed."

Campbell was again being put through his paces at the club's Benton base today, but has been working away from the main group after his honeymoon.

And he is highly unlikely to be anything but a spectator for the home game with PSV Eindhoven this weekend.

Guest Stephen927

Giving him the captaincy would have ensured he'd play most if not all the games. At 35, I don't think he's upto it. I think Sol is the kind of player who doesn't need to be captain to lead by example.

You can only judge him on his goalscoring, because that's all he had to his game.

Scoring goals (alone) isn't enough to make a player world class , unless it's a standout brilliant record, which Owen's clearly isn't.

I think it is. Just because a player doesnt have an all round game doesnt mean he isnt worldclass in my view.

Kevin Philips.

Kevin Philips only scored 15 premier league goals + in 1 season once. If he had went on to consistently score 30 goals a season, then fair enough, he'd be world class, however following up his 30 goals season with 14, 11, 6 and 12 goals seasons is why your point doesnt really make sense.

You can only judge him on his goalscoring, because that's all he had to his game.

Scoring goals (alone) isn't enough to make a player world class , unless it's a standout brilliant record, which Owen's clearly isn't.

I think it is. Just because a player doesnt have an all round game doesnt mean he isnt worldclass in my view.

Would people say Dennis Bergkamp was world class? His technical ability definitely was, but his statistics seem to prove otherwise for Arsenal. So no Owen was not a world class player, but from say 2000-2004/05 he had a world class goalscoring record.

Out of the two I'm pretty sure who people would go with, regardless of stats

Bergkamp. World Class? Aye, just a bit like. :)

Yep no question.

And before the statisticians go apeshit he wasn't a poacher but a genuine Number 10. The man should have been Brazilian. But anyone who says he wasn't world class doesn't know football.