Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

However despite all this my professional opinion is that we won't be able to prevent planning permission being granted.

Good. Last thing we ought to be doing is trying to close down revenue streams for the club.

How much money do you see this bringing in?

No idea.

Have a guess.

Why? I haven't got a clue what this kind of advertising might be worth to the right company. Obviously the club thinks it's enough to be worth the bother. As long as we're still making a loss, whatever comes in, is good.

It is going to be Sports Direct based on what is included in the application. Therefore sponsorship won't get sold to anyone.

Nah, that'll just be a placeholder. They're obviously hoping to sell the space.

I look at these applications every day, and this is for a fixed design.

Show us (or quote us or whatever) the bit that says that.

I can see why planning permission is needed to erect a billboard. I'd need some convincing that every design it was used to display required a further, separate permission.

It is in the application form. They are applying for red and blue letters on a white background for each one. The pictorial one would have to be agreed with the council as a planning condition.

You know Argos changed all their signs recently for a modern design? These all had to have new planning permissions and were verysimilar to the planning application we see here.

OK. I'll take your word for it. Seems weird, though. How could they ever sell the naming rights, if use of the buying company's logo was subject to subsequent planning permission?

In determining advertisement consent applications the local authority can only take into account 'amenity' and 'public safety'. The content of the sign can not be considered. So, unless for reasons of amenity or public safety a condition restricting the detailed design of the sign has been attached to the consent (which I have personally never seen done), and as long as the size/illumination of the sign does not change, the content can be changed without consent.

Ah, thank you, that sounds more plausible.

People are only complaining of the advertising because it's Ashley

what a load of bollocks - the sign looks cheap & nasty, it sends shivers down my spine seeing it there. And the flashy bollocks they have whizzing around the pitch side now is cheap & nasty, how long until they start painting shit on the pitch?

have a look at australian football/rugby to see where all this is going.

Does out ever shock you anymore with this c*** in charge? He is the UKs sports biggest retailer yet none of the big 2 wanted to make his clubs strip. He cant even flog the naming right for SJP. 

Well you know what you can do? Buy the club and distribute them yourself rather than sitting on your arse complaining.

As long as the club is paid market rate for the advertisements, I don't really care. I want us to focus on our on field matters for survival, all other off field issues which drives a wedge between fans and owners are just a distraction.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Didn't they try it for a week and then it was never heard of again? Sure it was why this very thread even started.

The planning application shows signs on the front of the Milburn Stand reading "SPORTSDIRECT.com @ St James' Park"

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx240/TownPlanningNE/Misc/sdsjp3.jpg

Hopefully that's the only place its mentioned. On all of the other documents its still referred to as SJP. Doesn't bother me that advert boards or going up (even if they are tacky), but potentially changing the stadium name every 5 years doesn't feel right.

Am I right in assuming we'll be getting no actual sponsorship cash from Sports Direct for this? I thought the sportsdirect.com @ st james park was only meant to be for last season so as to drum up interest in the naming rights.

Am I right in assuming we'll be getting no actual sponsorship cash from Sports Direct for this? I thought the sportsdirect.com @ st james park was only meant to be for last season so as to drum up interest in the naming rights.

If any significant money is exchanged between SD and NUFC for this I'll eat my own shit*.

*I won't actually eat my own shit.

It will be filth direct, low payment maxiumum advertising space, with little in it for NUFC itself.

We'll be having none of that realistic approach here mate. Only "buy the club if you're not happy" s****! lol

Be fair mate, it's a cracking response. There literally is nothing you can say to something that dumb. :lol:

So, i have to buy the club if i'm not happy.  I've put hundereds of pounds, if not thousands into the club over the years...i'm not happy that some wrank ugly raw advertising is being shackled to the stadium and i get told "if you are not happy, buy the club"

I shall remember that one if we are on the brink of relegation and OTHER people are crying their tits off.

Guest guinness_fiend

Could further legitimise payements between SportsDirect and Newcastle United? Allows Ashley put some of the gains from one business into another.

If you're talking about transfer funding, not a chance.  The two businesses are likely ring-fenced from one another, with several liability, and any payments would be at market value (or an undervalue).

As bad as I think of those plans of putting some SD.com signs all over SJP - it could be much worse.

He could let paint the whole stadium into blue/white/red, for example.  :lol:

I have no problem with the odd few signs.  Chances are that sponsors are not knocking down the door to advertise there, otherwise it would be a valuable source of revenue, given how many of our games that Sky is likely to show.  I'd wager that they'll stay until a better offer comes along.

Whilst extra cash for Sports Direct would be a bonus for Ashley, further revenue into the club, which in turn could be used to reduce his liabilities, would be preferable.

Storm in a teacup, to be honest.

OTT reaction here, if anyone owned a business they would advertise it heavily around whatever property they owned within reason. It's 6 signs that's it.

:lol:

:lol: Every time!

Not overly arsed myself about the concept myself. I'd just would prefer it if Sports Direct were a bit of classier brand, like Emirates are someone.

As bad as I think of those plans of putting some SD.com signs all over SJP - it could be much worse.

He could let paint the whole stadium into blue/white/red, for example.  :lol:

Don't give him ideas.

Not overly arsed myself about the concept myself. I'd just would prefer it if Sports Direct were a bit of classier brand, like Emirates are someone.

I think this is basically the main problem. If Ashley owned a credible business with a decent logo and reputation then I doubt we'd be having the same reaction.

The problem is having a brand like Sports Direct plastered all over a holy place like SJP is a bit like watching your sister being violated by a sweaty charver.