Newcastle v Swansea, 15:00 Saturday, 28 November 2009 Pre game thread

Astroblack

They look a little small at the back so i'd reckon Carrol and Ranger upfront with Loven to come off the bench to keep it fresh.

I would say we definitely need the delivery from Raylor and Ricky.

Maybe starting with:

......Raylor....Smith....Guthrie...

....................Nolan..................

in the middle and bring on Jonas and Loven for whoever's tired when we need to freshen things up.

Would stop their midfield knocking it about as well. If we force teams down the flanks i reckon our FBs are good enough to cope with most if not all wingers in this division (based on what i've seen so far).

If Ryan Taylor is fit, I'd play him at right back ahead of Simpson and Ranger or Lovenkrands up top in place of Harewood.

I think Taylor is key to alot of the chances we create but i wouldn't have him at right back over Simpson, unless Simpson is unfit.

With Simpson at right back, I don't think we have enough support or quality going forward. Look at the other wing with Jonas and Enrique then compare it to the right. I think it's important that Guthrie plays so I'd keep him in the side, with Taylor getting forward ahead of Guthrie to offer a ball out wide if Guthrie cuts inside.

I agree that Taylor and Guthrie both need to be in the side; but Simpson's got progressively better from an attacking point of view if you ask me. He put in a couple of good crosses the other night, one of them an absolute belter, and obviously his goal vs Peterborough was excellent. I'd definitely keep him in the team because on top of that, that back four look rock solid at the moment. Besides, Taylor's one of our best deliverers so i think it's important he is our first choice right-winger.

I'd go with Smith and Guthrie in the middle, and Nolan off Carroll. It's not a flat 4-4-2 but in this league, it's important that we as a team just shove in all of our most influential players - cos it's a sure-fire way to win games against this sort of opposition.

Harper

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Taylor     Smith   Guthrie  Gutierrez

Nolan

Carroll

Nicky Butt ruled out of Swansea City clash

Groo mate, you needn't bother make the trip. We've got the win sealed now.

Wish I could come, bit far from Canada.

On a side note, I see Cardiff are in a bit of financial doo dah with the tax man, that would make 3 bankruptcies for good old Pistol Pete if it happens.

Harper

Simpson, Saylor, Colo, Jose

Raylor, Nolan, Smith, Jonas

Lover, Carroll

Tough call in midfield with Guthrie, pancake and Butt (Im not down with this 'Butt Bashing' like) all in contention. Unless we swap Smith for Guthrie at home for a little more creativity.

We have to play Nolan in the centre and CANNOT play Guthrie on the right.

Guthrie over smith at home may be a good idea, depends if his form is as good as Smiths....

Its a toughy, but thats why Im not the manager!

Looking at the opening sentence you could easily be our manager.

Guthrie was gash the other night. Why should he start infront of Smith and Nolan, arguably two of our best players this season?

Harper

Simpson  Taylor  Colo  Enrique

Smith

Raylor              Nolan      Jonas

Ranger

Lovenkrands*

*Expecting Carroll to start instead of Lovenkrands which is fine because he is playing alright at the moment.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd like to see

Harper

Simpson          Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

R.Taylor          Nolan        Smith©    Jonas

Ranger      Carroll

But we'll probably see a 4-4-1-1 again with R.Taylor replacing Guthrie and Pancrate thrown on for a three minute debut to either salvage a point or the three points or if we're comfortably cruising

Guest optimistic nit

think we could well lose this tbh. we have been playing really poor lately and they have come from like 18th to 4th in no time at all.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Why is Ranger still getting the nod to start? What does he offer outside of running and holding it up.

There you go. He's looked far more effective than Harewood and Lovenkrands hasn't been used up front really. Whenever he's played he's been very impressive.

Guest Heneage

Why is Ranger still getting the nod to start? What does he offer outside of running and holding it up.

There you go. He's looked far more effective than Harewood and Lovenkrands hasn't been used up front really. Whenever he's played he's been very impressive.

Has Lovenkrands actually had the same amount of time up front Ranger has? I'd be willing to give him a chance as he has amazingly actually scored a goal for us.

Guest Heneage

Could say the same thing about Harewood.

Harewood should be benched though, the sooner he's shipped back to Villa the better.

'Swansea for Dummies'

A guide for those who know nothing about us. Just about everyone here

I presume  ;D

The players more likely to play:

Between the Sticks - Dorus De Vries. Dutch stopper signed

when his Dunfermline contract expired, previously with Den Haag.

Fantastic shot stopper with a preference to roll a ball to a defender

rather than punt up field. Had some suspect moments in previous

seasons but has improved season on season, this year best yet. Made

some world class match saving saves this season. SIGNING FEE:

NOTHING

Attacking right back - Angel Rangel.  Bit of a fairy tale for

him, our scout went to a lower league Spanish match to watch a striker

and spotted a potential star playing for the opposition, Rangel. Good

defender whose excellent at overlapping and getting involved in the

attack. SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Centre Half - Alan Tate.  Being a Sunderland lad and fan of his

local team, he quite fancies this. Was Captain of Man Utd's youth team

when joined on loan in 2002. At this time we were fighting to remain

in the league and only stayed in on the last game of the season due to

us beating Hull and Exeter drawing, Exeter went down and out. Tate joined

the following season permanently and has played all across the back

and in midfield. Earlier he lost concentration at times (Bramble-esq),

but this part of his game has now gone and he's been one of the

players of the season. Has been playing left back but moved back to

Centre half when Monk got injured. SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Centre Half - Ashley Williams. Signed from Stockport 2 years

ago, has really come into his own. Voted Welsh player of the Year and

recently Captained Wales against Scotland, one for the Premiership we

think. SIGNING FEE: 400K

Attacking Left Back - Fede Bessone. Argentinean with Italian

passport, signed from Espanyol 'B'. Has struggled to make an impact

and thought to be suspect defensively, famous for a rugby tackle on a

Cardiff player last season  ;D. Another defensive player whom Sousa

has worked his magic on and has shown to be transformed since getting

a starting place recently. Was always thought of as being very good in

attack but now much more aware and capable in defence as well, a

returning Monk is unlikely to remove Bessone from the starting line up

after the last two match winning performances (crossed for the goal

against Cardiff and scored the goal against Derby). SIGNING FEE:

NOTHING

Right Wing - Nathan Dyer. Signed from Southampton, very pacy winger chips in with the odd goal. Think most already know of him. SIGNING FEE: 400K

Central Midfield - Darran Pratley. Signed from Fulham, the midfield engine, we really missed him at the start of the season. He’s the type of player that will break up an attack and pass the ball in his own box and then be at the end of the resulting cross when the ball’s played downfield and then is back tackling when the keeper kicks the ball upfield again. He does it continuously all game without breaking sweat. SIGNING FEE: 100K

Central Midfield - Leon Britton. Another loanee from the 2002 season with Tate and Martinez. Once held the transfer record for a 16 year old, when he moved from arsenal to west ham for 600K. Eventually released due to being too small, he maybe only 2 foot high but has the presence of someone 7 foot tall. He will be everywhere taking the ball from the Toon players feet.  SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Central Midfield - Andrea Orlandi. Signed from Espanyol a few years ago, first season fell foul of injuries and last season seemed to be a bit lightweight, although plenty of skill. This year has shown to have toughened up and has a subtle touch in midfield. As a footnote, was once voted the 2nd sexiest player in Spain, behind David Beckham, so the ladies had better beware. SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Left Wing - Cedric van der Gun. Was a promising player coming through the Ajax youth system, was reckoned to be the next Johan Cruyff, but injuries put his career off the tracks. Played for Dortmund and recently Utracht, still settling in and expected to shine very soon, we have seen glimpses SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Centre Forward – Craig Beattie. Record signing at 600K, has looked well suited to the Swansea style of play. Strong and holds the ball up well and capable of scoring goals. SIGNING FEE: NOTHING

Possibly alternatives, Garry Monk, the Captain, may return from injury but might find it hard to push himself straight back in. Joe Allen, 19 year old Welsh International could well play in central midfield, possibly ahead of Orlandi, excellent prospect. David Cotteril, winger/striker signed from Sheff Utd this week, another Welsh International, may come on as sub for debut.

Swans fans will be shocked if we play anything other than 4-5-1, it’s the formation we have played for almost every game for the last 3 years (home and away). It’s not a defensive formation the way we play it.

Interesting tussle will be on the right wing, as Enrique is fast and may well think he has Dyer tied up, then you had better hope that Jonas does a bit of defensive work, as Angel Rangel will overlap and link with Dyer, similarly on the other wing Bessone will overlap Van de Gun.

I wish I could be there to see the battle between Smith and Nolan and Britton and Pratley.

If we turn up then you will know you have been in a game!!

Oh and look after the Jacks that turn up, a friendly bunch, a lot will be staying to sample the legendary Newcastle nightlife.

'Swansea for Dummies'

Interesting tussle will be on the right wing, as Enrique is fast and may well think he has Dyer tied up, then you had better hope that Jonas does a bit of defensive work, as Angel Rangel will overlap and link with Dyer, similarly on the other wing Bessone will overlap Van de Gun.

I don't think we need to worry as long as Jose is playing mate

Do you not mean Utrecht?

By the sounds of your team you are brilliant.

Spellings not my forty..  :shifty:

I do believe we stand a chance, put it that way. Never know in footy, we could have an off day and the Toon will forever think we are cack  :doh:

Get your facts straight, you have given Orlandi to the wrong Barcelona team...

http://english.people.com.cn/200605/22/images/0521_A52.jpg

He was good, too lightweight though.

:facepalm:  they all look the same to me  :blush: