Newcastle v Swansea, 15:00 Saturday, 28 November 2009 Pre game thread

Astroblack

Are Swansea fans angry at Roberto Martínez? He served you extremely well both as player and as manager.

He made a number of stupid comments which got everyone's back up when he left, we had no doubt he would leave at some point for bigger things but not so soon, not when his comments included he loved the club, he had a 5 year plan to get us into the Prem, he would have to be pushed out, etc.

He also made very public comments against players who left for clubs seen as bigger or in a higher division, talking about money not being everything, they should have some loyalty etc..

So when he went, it was like your girlfriend leaving you for some ugly tosser down the road who has a bit more dosh than you.

But what if you're an ugly tosser yourself?

Wouldn't admit it would you.

An ode to next saturday by a wag on one of our sites:

We're going up North,

Where they all speak funny,

We've got a new striker,

But we've got no money,

Your boys each week on forty grand,

Something we don't understand.

Now you've got Butt and we've got Beats,

Prepare for your first of home defeats,

Van der Gun lets off a barrel,

No joy for you this Christmas 'Carroll',

Ducks arse defence and lots of flair,

As Dyer tangles Coloccini's hair,

And our De Vries doesn't 'Harper'on,

About how he's Hollands no. 1,

Now you might have plenty of fog on the Tyne,

But the River Tawe suits us just fine,

No funny bridges or famous beer,

But our recent form you have to fear,

You've got an Ashley and so have we,

And the differences are so plain to see,

Yours got fat on internet sales,

Ours got fit and captained Wales,

I think that Hughtons the fashion loser,

His suits will never match our Sousa,

A touchline prowess to behold,

As his awesome tactics will unfold,

If Smith chops Leon we don't care,

He'll jink right past like he's not there,

And setting up our forward line,

Leon Brittons doing fine,

As Joey Allen ventures forth,

He'll be our Angel of the North!!!

Especially like verse 5.    And yes, we speak funny too  :laugh:

Back in the 60's & 70's matches against Swansea used to be real blood baths - I think it goes back to a game there in some competition where the number sent off and carried off was amazing (no subs either)

Anyway for a longggggggggg time it was a ground to miss for years -worse than Millwall or Joker Park if you wore B&W stripes

0-0 or 1-0 either way I reckon. They don't concede many, same as us, and they don't look particularly good going forward either, same as us. Atmosphere should be canny as i'm sure they'll make plenty of noise unlike quite a few other sets of supporters who have came up here, filled the away end, and then just sat in silence.

Team:

Harper

Enrique-Colo-Taylor-Simpson

Jonas-Nolan-Smith-Raylor

Carroll-Harewood

Prediction: 2-0 to us. A Kevin Nolan "Christ, I almost forgot he was on the fucking pitch!" special and an Andy Carroll wonder goal....after fluffing several much easier chances.

Aliceband watch: Jonas to go without, Colo to go with and Carroll to ignore the advice of the fashionista's by following Sideshow's lead.

Having lived by Swansea for 4 and a bit years now can I please respectively ask that we do not roll out a barrarge of sheep lover chants.

There is no sheep loving down here

just pure raw sex with the fluffy friends

yes i remember from last time.

what do you call 4 sheep tied to a lamp post in swansea ?

a brothel

Watched Swansea a couple of weeks ago against Cardiff and for half an hpour, they were mint. However, the cardiff defence was so static, you could drive a london double decker bus through them. Smallest guy on the park scored the first with a header.

All of a sudden, Cardiff woke up and scored twice in two minutes just before half time and could have got more. They were missing several of their star players including Chopra and Whittingham. Both Cardiffs goals should have been dealt with by a clearly dodgy Swansea defence, the first route one and the second, a far post header from a free kick.

Swansea got back into it in the second half and won 3-2 in the end but I wasnt all that impressed. Saw that they only just managed to beat a desperate derby on the weekend at hoime with a l;ast minute goal.

It will be close but I think our confidence is high and if we can get at them down the wings and get quality balls in, Carroll, Harewood/Ranger etc could have a field day.    2-0 to the toon.

If Harewood doesn't start play i think we'll edge it and win.

If he plays it will be closer. We may not be able to finish any chances like PNE until Nolan popped up with our one shot of any quality (perfection it was too).

We are basically making things harder for ourselves if harewood plays as he needs the rest of the team to carry him. He seems hesitant doesn't get stuck in and looks at 50/50 balls as beneth him expecting to be given everthing on a plate. If Ranger plays he offers plenty of movement and some pace up front which should work well with Carroll. Ranger also drops back into midfield well to help out. He needs more games to prove himself/gain experience. The time is right for him now. CH seem's to see him as a super sub unfortunately.

If he plays it will be closer. We may not be able to finish any chances like PNE until Nolan popped up with our one shot of any quality (perfection it was too).

We are basically making things harder for ourselves if harewood plays as he needs the rest of the team to carry him. He seems hesitant doesn't get stuck in and looks at 50/50 balls as beneth him expecting to be given everthing on a plate. If Ranger plays he offers plenty of movement and some pace up front which should work well with Carroll. Ranger also drops back into midfield well to help out. He needs more games to prove himself/gain experience. The time is right for him now. CH seem's to see him as a super sub unfortunately.

I saw Harewood run (like properly sprint) towards the end of the Preston game.

That is all!

I totally agree.

Sadly I think by not playing our best players up front we are about to come a cropper here. We have been just getting away with it so far.

:lol:

Very happy with our keepers and defenders. We just need to try and keep Enrique, Collo, S Taylor, Simpson...well all of them really.

Happy with our midfield. Jonas, Gutherie, Nolan,  R Taylor ect are all good quality. But we could possibly do with another really good winger - i've no idea what Pancrate is like.

Up top we can play Carroll or Ameobi as the big man striker and then there's only Ranger really. Who may come good given games. But I'd like another quality striker with pace and a good eye for goal. Harewood certainly does not fit the bill in the slightest.

:lol:

Very happy with our keepers and defenders. We just need to try and keep Enrique, Collo, S Taylor, Simpson...well all of them really.

Happy with our midfield. Jonas, Gutherie, Nolan,  R Taylor ect are all good quality. But we could possibly do with another really good winger - i've no idea what Pancrate is like.

Up top we can play Carroll or Ameobi as the big man striker and then there's only Ranger really. Who may come good given games. But I'd like another quality striker with pace and a good eye for goal. Harewood certainly does not fit the bill in the slightest.

We need a creative midfield player more than we need a winger.

He's our most important player at the moment as he's winning us games but Nolan is a big reason we're so shit. Our central midfield is appauling; no pace, no movement, very little by the way of decent passing and certainly no dribbling. It was the worst midfield in the league when we got relegated last season and would be again if we went up now. A central midfield as static as ours wouldn't last a second in the premierleague.

He's our most important player at the moment as he's winning us games but Nolan is a big reason we're so shit. Our central midfield is appauling; no pace, no movement, very little by the way of decent passing and certainly no dribbling. It was the worst midfield in the league when we got relegated last season and would be again if we went up now. A central midfield as static as ours wouldn't last a second in the premierleague.

Completely agree, that's why i was delighted to see Guthrie was going to start in centre midfield against PNE. However, the problem will only really be sorted out by new players if/when we get promoted.