Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Let's not re-write history, Owen was a quality striker when we signed him. I was ecstatic when he signed, although it quickly turned sour and we saw what he was really like.

At the time though, the prospect of Shearer and Owen up front was mouth watering. Owen was a great influence when he first joined, suddenly every other player looked a little better and he was scoring goals to win us points.

By the end though, I was glad to see the back of him. Playing for England at the World Cup when he wasn't fit for us, the subsequent injury, the lackadaisical approach to being captain... He's a cunt of a bloke.

Let's not re-write history, Owen was a quality striker when we signed him. I was ecstatic when he signed, although it quickly turned sour and we saw what he was really like.

At the time though, the prospect of Shearer and Owen up front was mouth watering. Owen was a great influence when he first joined, suddenly every other player looked a little better and he was scoring goals to win us points.

By the end though, I was glad to see the back of him. Playing for England at the World Cup when he wasn't fit for us, the subsequent injury, the lackadaisical approach to being captain... He's a cunt of a bloke.

I was excited as fuck but the 'hopefully I'll score goals for four years' always sounded ominous. The little cunt never wanted to be here, like, even though he generally always looked excellent when fit (until the last season).

He was terrific during that spell under Keegan (quelle surprise) when he was an AMC.

Yep, surprisingly good at shielding the ball and laying it off. Was a good role for him with his diminishing pace. It was a good example of Keegan as more than just a "go out and play your game, score more than the opposition" stereotype.

Guest Howaythetoon

Looking back the one crumb of comfort I get from us signing Owen is that by doing so we helped to rob him of a good ending to his career. When we signed him he was at the top of his game, he had scored goals for Real Madrid and was England's main man on his way to becoming all-time top goalscorer. He badly wanted to return to Liverpool and would have done so had we not blown their 8m offer out of the water with our 16m offer.  He went from scoring goals for Real and playing for major honours to Graeme fucking Souness and even captaining a relegation outfit. Not nice for us of course but not nice for him either. I'm sure the money he earned from us more than made up for things but I guarantee he will look back post Madrid with nothing but fucking regret and for that alone I can at least smile when I think about Michael Owen.

Guest Howaythetoon

I must be honest, I was never a fan. Even as a young striker who was scoring miraculous goals at France 98, it was apparent that he was a striker who once his pace had gone would be very ordinary. It is all he had.

I disagree, KK showed by playing him as an AM almost that there was more to Owen's game than pace and finishing, and indeed KK's tactical acumen.

This has more than likely been posted but this tweet tickled me

‏@themichaelowen 26 Oct

I love Twitter on Saturdays. So many clueless keyboard warriors appear on my timeline thinking they know something about football.

He is hardly Gary Neville

I must be honest, I was never a fan. Even as a young striker who was scoring miraculous goals at France 98, it was apparent that he was a striker who once his pace had gone would be very ordinary. It is all he had.

Not true. That was what made him great, but he also had a very good eye for goal, and was an intelligent player.

Looking back the one crumb of comfort I get from us signing Owen is that by doing so we helped to rob him of a good ending to his career. When we signed him he was at the top of his game, he had scored goals for Real Madrid and was England's main man on his way to becoming all-time top goalscorer. He badly wanted to return to Liverpool and would have done so had we not blown their 8m offer out of the water with our 16m offer.  He went from scoring goals for Real and playing for major honours to Graeme fucking Souness and even captaining a relegation outfit. Not nice for us of course but not nice for him either. I'm sure the money he earned from us more than made up for things but I guarantee he will look back post Madrid with nothing but fucking regret and for that alone I can at least smile when I think about Michael Owen.

Smile about the fact that we were crap and got relegated? Your post depressed me and it was bang-on, but your conclusion is different from mine. I just feel sad, mainly for us.

He was 1 in 2 pretty much every season he played a good amount of games in.

In his club career he's got 222 goals in 482 appearances. That's pretty bloody good.

Technically, like any L'pool youth academy product he was sound. Zidane he was not but his all-round game was leagues ahead of the likes of Defoe, Bent or Cisse. A better striker and footballer than the likes of Pippo Inzaghi imo.