Mark Hughes

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughes has had an opportunity over the last 15 months that every other manager could only dream of having, and he hasn't done enough to convince them he's up to it.

All these pundits and fans etc bleating about how unfair it all is on him are missing the massive irony of the unfair financial advantage he's had over other clubs in the last 15 months.

Did you really expect him to do much better with a team of strangers that were brought in over the summer? To be fair he's only lost twice which is hardly awful.

You could give the Janitor £200m and he'd get the same results with those players. Probably better.

Guest optimistic nit

yes in june. if it was a now or never i'd probably still say yes, but hughton has enough talent as a manager (or the squad has enough talent) to earn us promotion, hughes gets 6 months off then could join us in the summer would be an ideal scenario for both parties imo if he would want to come.

he did very well with wales and did well with blackburn while he was there. also his time at city has hardly been a failure, it just hasn't been an overnight success.

Guest optimistic nit

DEF NO

A young Allardyce, work work work, all huff and puff.  Never won anything and never will.

name one manager we could realistically hire who has a better cv? i cant think of anyone off the the top of my head who would be more likely to deliver us back to a position as a stable PL club.

This poll should have a third option..... undecided..

I voted no... for now....

I think we should concentrate on getting Ashley and his muppets out, before anyone is brought in as staffs...

I can only imagine its got to be a true mare to work for and under Ashley.

No, he lucked out initially with Wales but coasted for a long time on the back of a couple of freak results.  At Blackburn he had a team that consisted of a couple of good players whilst filling the rest of the team with players to kick the crap out of the opposition (very much like Hughes the player - skilful but would do anything to get an advantage).  At Man €ity he spunked away a colossal amount of cash on players but had no idea how to form them into a team whilst simultaneously turning good defenders into poor imitations of Jean-Alain Boumsong.

He is, by all accounts, a woeful man-manager who has managed to fall out with a number of players and he's apparently taken tips from the Graeme Souness school of management when it comes to accepting that it was his own ineptitude that caused his team's defeat, it is always the fault of the pitch/referee/weather/planetary alignment/etc.  Good managers learn from their mistakes, Hughes just blames others.

Realistically, there is probably no better manager who would want to manage NUFC unless the club was taken over by someone with megabucks.

As this looks highly unlikely, I would definitely take Hughes at the end of this season if promotion is achieved ; he did a solid job at Blackburn and I feel he was badly served by the Robinho deal, which may have been partly foisted on him anyway by the new owners. His record at Man C is not that bad that a club in Newcastle's position can turn its nose up at him - he may not even be interested in coming here under the existing set-up...

People need to get a grip on reality - this club's standing in the game is light-years away from what it used to be and it will be hard to attract top managers here, something which needs to be done if we go up because I don't feel Hughton will be able to cut the mustard in the Prem, either in attracting top players or tactically.

Mark Hughes is in a different class to Hughton.  I'd have him here tomorrow but I doubt he'd be daft enough to come here and I doubt we'd have the foresight to even try.

Why would Ashley even think about change while his puppet is doing everything asked of him while spending nothing?  If Ashley remains at the club I think Hughton will be here until we’re in deep shit, then they’ll push the panic button and make mistake after mistake.

Guest guinness_fiend

We should definitely make a move for Hughes.  No question.  It's not like we're top of the league and in a stable position for the first time in yonks, which would be undermined by the introduction of a new manager at a critical time of the season.

Mark Hughes is in a different class to Hughton.  I'd have him here tomorrow but I doubt he'd be daft enough to come here and I doubt we'd have the foresight to even try.

Why would Ashley even think about change while his puppet is doing everything asked of him while spending nothing?  If Ashley remains at the club I think Hughton will be here until were in deep shit, then theyll push the panic button and make mistake after mistake.

What makes you think Hughes would do a better job with no money than Hughton? He can't keep buying Craig Bellamy to drag his teams out of the clarts.

Why would Ashley even think about change while his puppet is doing everything asked of him while spending nothing?  If Ashley remains at the club I think Hughton will be here until were in deep s***, then theyll push the panic button and make mistake after mistake.

What makes you think Hughes would do a better job with no money than Hughton? He can't keep buying Craig Bellamy to drag his teams out of the clarts.

That's the reason I said that he may not even be interested in NUFC under the current owner ; any manager worth his salt would want a transfer budget and a realistic one at that.

Hughton is OK at this level because its a poor league and the team almost selects itself - it will be a different ball game in the Prem and the side will need strengthening - I would back Hughes to be more successful at that(and handling the pitfalls of a first season back up)than Hughton. I also believe that Hughton will not be comfortable as a manager in the Prem, working on a shoestring.

As harsh as it sounds they were right to sack Hughes imo, should have done it when they first came in. He was given thr resources to assemble a worldclass team full of worldclass talent, for me your never going to have a worldclass team without a worldclass manager, something Hughes is not. They went all out to get the best players in the world, why not one of the best managers in the world to manage them rather than sticking with a guy that did a decent job at Blackburn? 

They were right to get someone in for hughes, but is Mancini one of the best in the world? Im not too convinced.

Mark Hughes sort of looks like a cross of a pelican and a hawk.

http://www.art-photograph-gallery.com/image-files/bird-pelican.jpg

+

http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/HawkRedShoulderedHead03.jpg

=

http://onthebreak.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/mark_hughes_blackburn1.jpg

I'd like to ask the 48 ppl who voted no two things:

- do you think that hughton is a better manager than hughes?

- if not, who would you want as manager? do you think shearer is a better manager? or are you still dreaming of hitzfeld/van gaal/mourinho/etc?

I'd like to ask the 48 ppl who voted no two things:

- do you think that hughton is a better manager than hughes?

- if not, who would you want as manager? do you think shearer is a better manager? or are you still dreaming of hitzfeld/van gaal/mourinho/etc?

Q1. No

Q2. Don't know, no, no.

Just not Hughes. Thanks