Craig Bellamy

James

i remember being well annoyed when shearer (then at blackburn) and on a very dry spell for england got in the starting line up for euro 96 ahead of sir les (who was our greatest number 9 at the time, according to the late ronnie lambert)  ;D

Never forgave this kernt personally when he was at Blackburn and walked past our away end, looked at us and kissed his Blackburn badge. Just summed up what a massive bellend he is. No doubting his ability on the pitch for us, was a massive asset to our side but certainly wasn’t irreplaceable however Souness just ballsed everything up.

No doubt his book will be very popular. Will be some rather funny stories banded about but will be mainly filled with his arrogant dross mixed in with a bit of bullshit.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bobby was perfectly capable of handling shearer - he just didn't have shepherd's support.

Shepherd worshipped shearer and was also fearful (wrongly imo) of the fans' reaction had he been sold or used only as back up.

Shepherd certainly gave off the impression that he loved Shearer but I don't think he loved him as much as we would all think. I believe a lot of it was to curry fan favour and to make up for the mary poppins shit, that and Shearer of course = ££££s.

Guest Howaythetoon

FS went to Bobby and said what do you think, we could get upto 5m for him and Bobby said sell him and there would be hell on.

That's the opposite to how Bobby tells it in his book. Bobby had a replacement lined up and Shep was the one who pointed out he was 'the crown jewels' and there would be hell on.

I've read his book but can't remember that part, I'll take your word for it though that he wrote that. He had before and after said different also so who knows what to believe.

Regardless, I find it laughable that people expected Shearer to retire just so the manager could play Bellamy and Kluivert together, or that he should have retired a year earlier than he actually did. He obviously thought he still had something to offer, to contribute, and he did. Those final 2 seasons were not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination as we were used to seeing Shearer being one of the best and topping the goalscorers chart but I personally feel our form and plight at that time made things worse.

I personally love the fact that Shearer made it his own personal crusade to become our all-time top goalscorer and love it even more that he actually achieved it because, especially at a club like Newcastle where trophies just aren't happening, and us being a one city club etc. that for Geordies its all about being a local hero, the dream etc. I know when I was a kid I didn't dream about winning the PL or whatever, I dreamed of scoring goals for the Toon and being a hero.

If only more players shared such a commitment to attaining certain goals, Newcastle for one would certainly do far better than we usually do.

Anyway, no-one has had a bad word to say about Shearer either as a player or now, other than err, Bellamy. Who has a book to sell, a chip on his shoulder and an axe to grind.

Shearer was a magnificent servant of this club, remains a true legend and we will do well to see a player of his ilk here again because players like him are exceptionally rare.

Lets not forget that for the vast majority of his time here we were shit, while he was in the main, damn fucking good.

He actually wasted his career here and in hindsight made the wrong decision. But, he'll remain our all-time top-scorer for at least another 50 years or so and that is worth more than a winners medal, far more.

It's rotten when some of our fans use any excuse to have a pop at Shearer like.

Not only a local lad who loves this club, but also the greatest player the club's ever had, the greatest striker the UK's ever produced and just generally a complete and utter hero.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS16nst4ZnxFOVA8P25XUsmgh85jtb4WoGi-KdVXnaYRkTIGrSA

:smitten:

Wonder where we'd be without his 206 goals? Or where we'd be if he got the managers job that time?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01385/alan_shearer_1385283c.jpg

http://philosophia.uncg.edu/sites/default/files/PHI111metivier/module6/angel-devil.gif

A) Depends how we would have invested in the team had he not come here. We already had the second best team in the league at the time. No way to tell whether we'd have continued on or fallen away.

B) Based on his punditry I'd say things would have been really bad with him as manager. Not that I think he would have got along with Ashley and Llambias for very long any way.

Not only a local lad who loves this club, but also the greatest player the club's ever had, the greatest striker the UK's ever produced and just generally a complete and utter hero.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/19/article-2146724-13198BAF000005DC-277_468x286.jpg

Lineker couldn't lace Shearer's boots as an all-round goal scorer... And that's before getting to hold up play and assists...

Best striker in the UK that I can think of and certainly in my lifetime... Beardsley is still the best player we've had...

Guest neesy111

Im pretty sure it was Bobby who referred to Shearer as like selling the Crown Jewels in his book.

He wanted to replace him with Emile Mpenza, as has already been said.

By yourself, I think you're wrong.

Robson did say that.

So you're telling me he said 'I want to sell Alan Shearer and replace him with Emile Mpenza'?

I really don't remember that from his book, though i'll admit I read it a long time ago.

I know he had coveted Mpenza for a while, but my recollection was that Liverpool made an approach to Shepherd for Shearer. At which point Robson made the Crown Jewel's comment.

Being prepared to deal with the consequences of Shearer's sale is one thing. Actively wanting to sell him seems to be something of an overstatement.

At other points in the book, he says that Shearer was always supportive, but recounts other incidents where there’s clear disagreement. I remember he also pointed out to Shepherd that he, as an experienced manager, was the right man for the tricky task of easing Shearer into retirement, as a younger man would find it difficult to handle the criticism.

On this last point, he was right, but Shearer won the day, with disastrous results.

Souness?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/19/article-2146724-13198BAF000005DC-277_468x286.jpg

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

48 england goals, 11 in world cup finals and top scorer in 86

also the greatest player the club's ever had, the greatest striker the UK's ever produced.

Wrong on both counts. :)

Not just regarding this point but your vendetta against Shearer is a disgrace like. Anytime someone say's something remotely positive about him or even tries to back up what kind of man he is, your first to try and slay them down every time. Give it a rest.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'll just get my computer back from the yard & call a glacier to replace my windows. :thup: