Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

Would take Simpson over Beye. We need to start building a young team, too many cloggers in the team, or players past their peak and declining rapidly.

This.

Would take Simpson over Beye. We need to start building a young team, too many cloggers in the team, or players past their peak and declining rapidly.

This.

Yep. Simpson at least has some pace and his problems at defending can be sorted over the next year or so.

Jerome Thomas raped Simpson last night.

As others have said, that was usually down to being out-numbered with WBA having an extra man in midfield. Simpson's problem is that he's haggling over wages when he's really not that good.

Are we really ready to discard of Simpson because of one poor performance?

No no no. As robot avatar man said, he's not good enough to be demanding 15k+. I do rate him though.

And it seemed to be the whole team that weren't shutting men down, as if Hughton told them to stand off. When you have a tricky bastard like Thomas running at you don't run towards the goals with your back to him.

Guest Stephen927

As has been said previously, the reason he was backing away was to allow fellow defenders to get back into good positions, Simpson was buying the side time.

So what would people prefer? Simpson who's young and not going to be massive wages or Beye who has proved himself in Premier League (at least with us but we all know how our defense was last two years in PL) but is most likely going to be on more money?

Without a shadow of a doubt, Beye. Million times better defensively than Simpson, even if he is slowing down a bit.

simpson. we had beyes last good season and it wasn't his last one here.

Beyes season when we got relegated wasn't all that bad and based on that and the fact that Simpson failed yesterdays "big" test against WBA, I'd choose Beye over Simpson. I reckon Habib could make it one more year in PL, even though O'Neill doesn't fancy him.

I also think that Beye could teach someone younger, or perhaps Saylor (not Raylor, lost cause) how to become a better RB.

Simpson learnt his trade at Man Utd so his teaching must have been rather good, but he hasn't stepped up and I don't think he ever will really.

Enrique gets so much help from Jonas, thier linkup play and undertstanding is superb, Simpson is just left on his own to cope, give him a propper rightwinger to linkup with he would be miles better and so would we be as a team.

I would currently keep Simpson rather than bring in Beye.

Simpson is being hung out to dry with no proper wide midfielder in front of him, and he's young as has potential to improve.

Isn't that what people said about Shola as well some years back?

Some players, like Milner and N'Zogbia when they were here, you could use that argument since they both had great games and bad games just inconsistent and needed improving on their end product, but I haven't really seen anything that suggests Simpson will shine. He's not great at reading the game, not a great tackler or a great passer of the ball. He's decent at all of those things but doesn't really have room to improve himself.

I might be harsh on him due to yesterdays performance and over-reacting..

Simpson is being hung out to dry with no proper wide midfielder in front of him, and he's young as has potential to improve.

Some players, like Milner and N'Zogbia when they were here, you could use that argument since they both had great games and bad games just inconsistent and needed improving on their end product, but I haven't really seen anything that suggests Simpson will shine. He's not great at reading the game, not a great tackler or a great passer of the ball. He's decent at all of those things but doesn't really have room to improve himself.

Well it is what they said about Shola, but I don't see what that means. They also said it about lots of players where it turned out to be true.

I don't think he's a world beater, but as a cheap option we know what we're getting and I would rather keep him on than bring back Beye at this point.

Well it is what they said about Shola, but I don't see what that means. They also said it about lots of players where it turned out to be true.

I don't think he's a world beater, but as a cheap option we know what we're getting and I would rather keep him on than bring back Beye at this point.

Yes, they've said that about lots of players over the years but in those players you could see some talent which wasn't fulfilled, and that's something I can't see in Simpson, hence I would rather have Beye back for a year. Habib would be on a bit more money but I think we've got a bigger chance of staying up in the Premiership (assuming we go up) with him at RB than Simpson.

But as you mentioned in your first post, to get a decent right midfielder in is crucial and without that it doesn't really matter who we put as right back

We seem to be getting heavily into a Beye/Simpson debate. Is Beye an option for us? I've heard nothing on this.

No really, no. I was just curious what people would choose and since Beye won't command any extreme fee I wouldn't mind if we were to try and sign him on the cheap in the summer

Yeah, if we go up he would struggle unless he improved, but then that's true of at least 75% of our players.

That's true, with current squad we've get slaughtered. Let us first concentrate on getting promoted and we'll continue this discussion in the summer!:)