Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Had next to no help from Guthrie but that doesn't excuse a w*** performance especially the ridiculous backing off him and Colo were guilty of for their 2nd.

They were no worse for the second than Nolan and Shola for the first.

Of course they were, the first happened in a split second, they lost their concentration and got undone, it shouldn't happen, but it does. But letting a player run about 35 yards with the ball into our box and allowing him to pick out a cross without a challenge is criminal.

Had a great game gutted it looks like we won't be signing him. Cannot blame him for the goal, he had no help and could not comit to the tackle as he would have left us open anywau. We need arightwide player that WILL stay wide.

Had a great game gutted it looks like we won't be signing him. Cannot blame him for the goal, he had no help and could not comit to the tackle as he would have left us open anywau. We need arightwide player that WILL stay wide.

He was worse than Smith & Ameobi and thats saying something.

I'd have a cheeky look at Hutton on loan. Sounds like he can't get a sniff at Spurs, always looked decent when I saw him playing and could be a reasonable permanent option if we get promoted.

I'd have a cheeky look at Hutton on loan. Sounds like he can't get a sniff at Spurs, always looked decent when I saw him playing and could be a reasonable permanent option if we get promoted.

Thought he was away to the mackems?

Wouldn't be surprised, they seem to like Spurs reserves, haven't spotted anything saying that though, but not exactly been looking.

Guest Stephen927

He looks to me like a player who is putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform so we put more effort in to sign him and meet his contract demands.

Yup he was poor last night but as others have said he had absolutely nothing in front of him, whatever Guthrie might offer the team he is not a right winger. Di Matteo latched on to that so WBA channelled much of their attacking effort down the left (as we did) and Simpson had to try and deal with it on his own.

I would still rather sign him than no one, he won't cut it in the Premiership but right now we are a couple of ham string injuries away from not having enough recognised defenders to make up a back four, and even the worst sides in this division could exploit that.

:lol:

Fkn hell if that had been Raylor at RB last night we would have been raped, Simpson had NO help NO cover, no outlet. Had he comited to tackles or not backtracked it would have meant Tayls coming over time and time again to cover him, when Simpson pushed forward he could not take his man on as Guthrie was not dropping in behind him incase he lost the ball.

The 1st goal Nolan came over to help and then did not bother closing down the cross.

I think Simo did great concidering the situation he was put in by Guthrie fkn off all the time.

NUFC in last-ditch talks with Danny Simpson

Hughton is keen to deliver some good news to those fans and told the Chronicle today: “Danny’s one that we’re still working on.

“Once he’s out on that pitch, he’s a very committed player who will give everything.

“I’ll have to see him, but officially, he’s a Manchester United player until it’s decided otherwise.

“We’re still working and making decisions.

“The most important thing is to bring in the lads we need in the areas we need, and we’d like to do that as soon as possible.”

And commenting on what may be Simpson’s last performance for the Mags, Hughton said: “I thought he was excellent.

“He was up against a very good, free-flowing player in Jerome Thomas. He’s a good athlete and runner, but Danny was there, and we sorely needed him.”

United now have just 13 days to sign any players contracted to other clubs on a permanent basis.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/19/nufc-in-last-ditch-talks-with-danny-simpson-72703-25632953/?

Guest Stephen927

I know he has to keep Simpsons spirits up and not talk negatively about players in the press, but he was hardly excellent.

He was hardly the worst player on the pitch either. He's being criticised for letting players run at him, but if you have got no cover behind you then you can't dive in, you'll leave the player clean through on goal. Most times when he was being ran at he had no-one behind him, and Taylor was not back with play yet, so he had to wait until Taylor was covering until making the tackle.

So what would people prefer? Simpson who's young and not going to be massive wages or Beye who has proved himself in Premier League (at least with us but we all know how our defense was last two years in PL) but is most likely going to be on more money?

Thing is, Simpson is supposedly going to cost us £500k. Even if he isn't good enough for the Premiership he's played most of the games in a back 4 that has 14 clean sheets in the Championship. We'd easily be able to sell him for at least £500k if the club decide to replace him in the future. He's no world beater but for £500k he's a steady player for our current circumstance.

I think it's better to keep him as we know what we've got and he knows our defence well now. I also think that we should keep him as if we lose him we will be there with only R.Taylor left as a RB.

Still would probably prefer to get a good centre back in now or the summer and play S.Taylor at RB.

So what would people prefer? Simpson who's young and not going to be massive wages or Beye who has proved himself in Premier League (at least with us but we all know how our defense was last two years in PL) but is most likely going to be on more money?

Without a shadow of a doubt, Beye. Million times better defensively than Simpson, even if he is slowing down a bit.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Beye. Million times better defensively than Simpson, even if he is slowing down a bit.

simpson. we had beyes last good season and it wasn't his last one here.

Guest Stephen927

Would take Simpson over Beye. We need to start building a young team, too many cloggers in the team, or players past their peak and declining rapidly.