Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Reality check. As Newcastle have a wage bill that is higher than some Premiership clubs and we have Ashley as an owner we currently shop in the bargain basement/loan department. Simpson has played in the back 4 that has got 14 clean sheets so far. He's costing the club £500k - £750k. Is he good enough for the Championship? Yes. Is he good enough for the Premiership? Probably not but the same goes for most of our team. Would we be able to get our money back on him if we sold him in the future? Easily. Who are these Premiership quality players people think are going to be beating a path to our door? Kilgallon and Beckford turned us down (both supposedly going to Everton in the Summer)!

Reality check. As Newcastle have a wage bill that is higher than some Premiership clubs and we have Ashley as an owner we currently shop in the bargain basement/loan department. Simpson has played in the back 4 that has got 14 clean sheets so far. He's costing the club £500k - £750k. Is he good enough for the Championship? Yes. Is he good enough for the Premiership? Probably not but the same goes for most of our team. Would we be able to get our money back on him if we sold him in the future? Easily. Who are these Premiership quality players people think are going to be beating a path to our door? Kilgallon and Beckford turned us down (both supposedly going to Everton in the Summer)!

I'd prefer us to sign Simpson than Killgallon TBH.

Ambition check. We're en-route back to the premiership and we should be striving to cement the promotion and preparing the squad for mid-table safety, not a battle with relegation as soon as we get back to the promised land.

This signing smacks of keeping costs down ahead of planned sale, hence its for Mike's benefit and not the good of the team.

Ambition check. We're en-route back to the premiership and we should be striving to cement the promotion and preparing the squad for mid-table safety, not a battle with relegation as soon as we get back to the promised land.

This signing smacks of keeping costs down ahead of planned sale, hence its for Mike's benefit and not the good of the team.

You've made a bit of a logical leap there, just because we're spending cautiously it doesn't mean it isn't 'for the benefit of the team'. Spending massive money on shit players is one of the major reasons we haven't had any success in recent memory.

We'd all love to be signing Premiership quality players, but they're just not available to us at the moment, either because they won't come (very likely) or we can't afford them. January is a notoriously hard time to buy anyone decent anyway.

Ambition check is right. We all know if we get promoted we'll be lucky to stay up. The fact that we can't attract the likes of Kilgallon shows our standing. Look what ambition beyond financial means has done to Portsmouth and West Ham. Reality check is that football finances have gone insane. Portsmouth are doomed. West Ham have been saved from being doomed. The new owners admit that buying West Ham doesn't make sense from a business point of view. Paying huge fees and wages to mercenary players has crippled a lot of teams. It is a fact we can no longer compete with 'big' clubs. Man U and Liverpool aren't in good health financially speaking. I'm no fan of Ashley but I'm realistic enough to realise that it's highly unlikely in the current financial climate that any one will be buying the club off him (no matter how much he may want to sell it). The future is mediocre (if we're lucky).

Guest Stephen927

Next season, we will be facing another promotion push, or a relegation battle. People were okay with signing Beckford for £2m if it helps us win promotion, why is it any different securing the signature of a player who, as pointed out above, has been in the back four when we have kept 14 clean sheets.

The deal is for £500k, he's a player that can improve so any sell on value will be greater than what we have paid, even if it is selling him to a Championship club or a Premiership struggler.

As it stands, we are not resigning Beye, Ryan Taylor is not a good full back, and any other full back who comes into the team will need time to settle and get to know his team mates. Simpson can just slot straight back in alongside familiar faces and we will continue to keep clean sheets.

Harewood will sign on loan too, and that will be business finished this transfer window. Forget signing a creative midfielder, because unless we sell Butt or Smith and shift them off the wage bill, no new faces will be coming into central midfield. Barton on his return SHOULD be good enough to put some energy and attacking play into this midfield, at this level. No point in signing a new face when we've got a player coming back from injury on £50k p/w.

Danny Simpson will be a good, low risk signing.

Ambition check is right. We all know if we get promoted we'll be lucky to stay up. The fact that we can't attract the likes of Kilgallon shows our standing. Look what ambition beyond financial means has done to Portsmouth and West Ham. Reality check is that football finances have gone insane. Portsmouth are doomed. West Ham have been saved from being doomed. The new owners admit that buying West Ham doesn't make sense from a business point of view. Paying huge fees and wages to mercenary players has crippled a lot of teams. It is a fact we can no longer compete with 'big' clubs. Man U and Liverpool aren't in good health financially speaking. I'm no fan of Ashley but I'm realistic enough to realise that it's highly unlikely in the current financial climate that any one will be buying the club off him (no matter how much he may want to sell it). The future is mediocre (if we're lucky).

:thup:

In hindsight, Simpson, for the price, is a good signing and already has a proven record in the defence of this team this year. I dont even rthink we need Harewood b ecause I think Lovenkrands has proven recently that he is more than capable of scoring goals in this division.

I woiuld really like to see more of Nile RANGER up front with Lovenkrands. Carroll and Ameobi can also supplement the atrcking force whilst we dont have many problems in defence (really rate Kadar and Krul if rerquired).

Barton could be the key player here, We desperately need his crwative influence in midfield but not out wide but in the middle, even if it means dropping Nolan, especially at home.

Promotion ism guaranteed if we play Barton in the middle at home in a 442 and Nolan in the middle supporting the lone striker in a 451 away.

Simpson is just what 23 years old? And this is pretty much his first season of regular football and so I imagine he will continue to improve with more experience, especially has he appears to have his head screwed on right. Good move.

Looks like opinion is split right down the middle here.

I'll shove my 10p worth in then. I think Simpson would be a good signing, £500k, I would assume he won't be on top end wage and he's proved himself as a decent enough right back this season, the clean sheet record speaks for itself. If we do achieve promotion at least the lad has had some experience playing there.

Granted, he didn't look Premiership class when on loan at Blackburn but how many of Stoke City or Burnley's players are or were 'Premiership class' when they achieved promotion? I think with the right manager and the right guidance he could become a good signing for us.

Failing that, I'd be shocked if we couldn't get £1m+ for him re-sale anyway. As someone said above, it's low risk.

People cry out for bodies with our paper thin squad. He's played the majority of the season and even deputised in CB (although no world-beater) he's proven to show passion in the shirt, fight for every ball, and give it his all.  I quite like the player myself and I'd be happy we signed him.

Guest guinness_fiend

Don't want him here.  If we're not signing the Gerrards, Drogbas and Rooneys of this world, what's the point...

Get a grip, people.  £500K on what could be a decent (English) squad player next year and will only improve as he gets more experience is a bargain and should not be sniffed at.

Don't want him here.  If we're not signing the Gerrards, Drogbas and Rooneys of this world, what's the point...

Get a grip, people.  £500K on what could be a decent (English) squad player next year and will only improve as he gets more experience is a bargain and should not be sniffed at.

................ is what people said about Ryan Taylor last year.