Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

I thought it was the sort of game where he isn't half bad. Just asked to defend and then hoof it away when he gets it. Anything more and he struggles.

And how can that, in anyway, be a good thing?

I thought it was the sort of game where he isn't half bad. Just asked to defend and then hoof it away when he gets it. Anything more and he struggles.

In that kind of game. When we sit deep. He was controlling Sterling much better than Anita.

In that kind of game. When we sit deep. He was controlling Sterling much better than Anita.

Exactly. His defensive positional awareness is probably his biggest strength.

Guest Rey Mysterio

It's not his lack of 'attacking ability' that's the main problem when we're in possession, it's the fact he so often gifts it straight back to the opposition. Even when he doesn't it more often than not ends up back at our keeper within 5 seconds (often from within 30/40 meters of the opposition goal) which just delays giving the ball away.

Our tactics on the whole lead to us as a team being poor at keeping the ball but individuals who are not technically capable just compound the issue.

Passing %'s

Coloccini - 89.1%

Taylor - 88.9%

Perch - 88.4%

Santon - 86.5%

Simpson - 85.2%

Williamson - 76.6%

Accuracy of longballs

Coloccini - 23/35

Taylor - 14/25

Perch - 32/41

Santon - 21/30

Simpson - 17/26

Williamson - 21/33

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/23

Follows on from last season where Simpson statistically is a good defender, stats being something I believe Pardew likes, and maybe goes some way to showing his continued involvement despite not being a true purpler.

He deserves credit for applying himself when he'd been dropped from the squad a couple of hours earlier.

I'm one of his harshest critics but I wouldn't say he let anyone down yesterday.

That said, replacing him with someone comfortable with the ball would improve our balance, solidity and attacking threat completely.

There was a moment yesterday when we had a long passing move that ended up at the right wing with Ben Arfa trying to slip him in. Couldn't help but think if it would have been someone like Debuchy bursting forward we'd created something really dangerous.

Will be interesting to see what comes off in January. His contractual situation might prompt us into replacing him.

We all know his limitations but the way some people go on about him on here is ridiculous imo

:thup: he was solid as always and while offers little going forward it's not often he's lower than 6/10 each week IMO.

We do need to replace him with someone much better going forward to improve but i don't feel he did anything wrong yesterday.

he's a give and take player.

you try to forgive him for his lack of ability on the ball but you take the fact that he's actually good at defending.

this guy automatically turns into a turd as he run pass the halfway line which really is a shame, because he's a good defender.

he lacks composure on the ball, he can't pass, can't cross, i believe he must have watched Gary neville a lot during his time at man utd, thats why simpson tries to imitate that early cross ball from deep.

Gary Neville was an excellent crosser,  he could cross a ball anywhere between the byline or nearer to the halfway line.  Simpson could never develop that ability on the ball and that is ultimately why Fergie shipped him out.

• 2 weeks later...

shagging that Tulisa lass?

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/687378924.jpg?key=640813&Expires=1352933069&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Hp4m4sfhquxda8EmWXbzvg-0pCGhKf2KYWKG5lH3EE-4oEZJn~-ku1CvDa1qMZ8aE0yedpkpkzFSrBP4TBgH367y31QHzhcC5Rk~FMN4Sc7sBAt4QhVfgkXkvack~xLTh7-QQfCYJHtEbER~Kwlkbl8iXZGjiK062xLSFWGSviQ_

soz for the big image, but it is a world exclusive...