Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

I think Simpson is getting a lot of unfair stick on here when he had no cover whatsoever off HBA.

Santon got caught a few times upfield on the other flank as well and had no cover at all in the 2nd half whereas Jonas was covering him in the 1st.

It qualifies as unfair stick when it happens 3-4 times and people get on his back. It happened almost every game last season and it's already happened at least 3-4 times this season already. Consequently it qualifies as fair stick.

Am sure Lennon crossed to Bale from the left.

Lennon beats Santon for Bale header beating Simpson = focus on Simpson

Lennon beats Simpson for Defoe header beating Santon = focus on Simpson

Lennon didn't beat Simpson for the Defoe goal. He didn't beat anyone and floated a perfect ball in. Santon at least made it hard for Lennon.

I have no particular opinion either way on Santon yet btw.

If Simpson isn't removed from the side when Colo is fit, Pardew wants shooting.

???

I don't really think Perch is clearly better. Marginally on recent form maybe.

Perch is comfortably a better footballer than Simpson and he's shown it for the last year.

Guest Rey Mysterio

???

To me it's quite obvious Perch is the much better option until we sign a quality RB. The gulf in class when he played there at the end of last season whilst Simpson was injured was a breath of fresh air.

Danny Simpson have shown over a larger period now that he's utter average/prone to be shit. Santon is quite new to Premier League, and also only 21. I guess it's not fair to only criticize the one, but you catch my drift.

???

Perch is comfortably a better footballer than Simpson and he's shown it for the last year.

???

Yep

Really hope we buy Debuchy, anyway. Would improve us a lot, even from the little I've seen of him.

Tbh any fullback that is comfortable in possession and can contribute to the attack would improve us a lot, not just Debuchy.

Although Debuchy is clearly my first choice.

Whey, we'll have to agree to disagree. Perch right now is playing brilliantly, and he looks to have improved a lot, but I'm still not sure he's really a better fullback than Simpson. Like I say, it's marginal rather than clear.

Perch is much more comfortable on the ball. He would fit in better than Simpson for what we are trying to do now.

Santon really is young and been out for the most part after his breakthrough season. People slag it off like Lennon was a shit winger wich he by any means is not. Lennon is actually quite good at getting crosses in. But in all Santon has to play every week to gain experience to handle players like that. Simpson just isn't in par technically to give that extra up field that we need.

Perch is a better footballer, that's without question. That does not mean to say he's a better RB. Perch is verasatile player and does a good job in filling in postions when needed. If Perch is better than Simpson i'm pretty confident Pardew would have found this out last year and dropped Simpson for Perch. Until he does, i'm all for Simpson at Rb till we sign someone with more quality.

Simpson wasn't that bad on Saturday, some of the criticism is way over the top.

He is generally a poor footballer and nowhere near good enough for where we want to be though, if we don't buy a fullback before the end of the window it'll be a massive balls up.

Perch plays comfortably well in each position hes played in so far. Of course he is a better RB. He has any defensive qualitities that Simpson possesses and none of the frailties in terms of confidence on the ball. I've no qualms in calling that. Simpson had a decent enough game tbh on Saturday despite some silly moments but Perch just oozes calm and confidence whereever hes put....aside from positional sense and intelligent passing.

Simpson is pretty clearly the victim of confirmation bias in that people only watch for the mistakes he makes. And then those mistakes are magnified because of their opinion of him. Rarely does he get credit for the positive things he does (which he does do).

He is poor. Its the lack of pace and absolute zero recovery when beaten by his man. You are right about him doing good things.

Hitler did good stuff to, gets rather overlooked somewhat though.

:jones:

That analogy is a combination of :serious: and :facepalm:

Mind-numbingly awful.

Good comparison imo.

Simpson will never be Time Magazine's man of the year.