Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest Rey Mysterio

Simpson is better than Perch at RB.

Which parts of his game do you believe make him better than Perch at RB?

Perch isn't much better than Simpson in a attacking sense IMO but the key area where he is comfortably better is bringing the ball out from the back and link up with others to relief pressure from the defence.

I would personally prefer Perch but i don't think Pards agrees.

I certainly wouldn't oppose a move playing Perch at RB. He's shown that he knows how to defend as a centre back which is at least better than the performances I've seen Simpson give in the B&W. While Simpson can't put a foot in to tackle a player (i.e. lets them forward as he backpedals), Perch has certainly been comfortable confronting the man on the ball while playing in the centre.

It's not going to happen.

I have to say I agree with this.

Perch can play across quite a few positions while Simpson can only play as RB. Simpson being in the first eleven is a man-management strategy. Can't say I agree with it though.

It's not going to happen.

I have to say I agree with this.

Perch can play across quite a few positions while Simpson can only play as RB. Simpson being in the first eleven is a man-management strategy. Can't say I agree with it though.

I think it's correct, if you start Perch at RB then you take away his ability to cover so many positions when needed. It makes sense, he's not far enough ahead of Simpson to warrant disturbing that.

I think we should get used to the idea of Simpson being around for another year. Unless someone comes in and pays us decent wedge for him we will keep him and it will prevent us from making any increased bids for Debuchy. Unless Lille capitulate we've probably already made the decision to let Simpson keep the shirt until January at least.

Yep, it's not the end of the world. He's not as good as we ideally need, but he's not terrible either.

Do think Perch should be given a chance at being first-choice right back though.

Given how solid he's been filling in at various spots, I'm surprised he's not being given the opportunity to prove himself in his natural position.

Perch is a good defender, probably better than Simpson, but he offers nothing going forward....which is why we were after Debuchy in the first place. Simpson is the best option we have who can do a job of sorts either way.

Perch is significantly better at playing the ball out of defence.

Didnt think he was good enough in the championship season and was concerned about him when we got promoted. Then he got injured and we played perch for the start of the season who was absolute shit (sorry perchinho but you were) and in comparison Simpson actually looked decent there.

As the season dragged on his backing off of players became a concern and others began to notice his lack of ability offensively.

Last year he did ok defensively as we defended very well as a team but again his overall lack of technique and composure makes him the most frustrating player to watch plus the fact he never seems to learn from his mistakes and it actually feels like he's regressed as a player rather than progressing. 

He wasn't too bad again tonight and did more going forward than usual.

He tried a few passes on the ground tonight too. Couldn't really complain, but that might have something to do with the opponent.

He tried a few passes on the ground tonight too. Couldn't really complain, but that might have something to do with the opponent.

No doubt the opposition played a part, even Obertan looked good.