Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest bimpy474

On the instant-replay it looked dodgy, close but dodgy. I could be wrong, I'm hungover.

Very wrong mate.....unfortunately.

The goal was offside, and also, who was picking up Lukaku after he very calmly walked across our backline and into a goalscoring position? Both Colo and Santon (who had his hand up for off-side as soon as Lukaku walked over, to be fair) should've been tighter and closer to him. I understand Simpson's done this time and time again, but we don't have better alternatives right now, we didn't sign Debuchy, so kicking him to the curb or putting his confidence down isn't he best way forward for us, short-term.

Not sure I agree, tbh. How do we know we've no better alternatives?

Do I think either Ferguson or Tavernier could come into the side immediately and make a significant difference? Perhaps not. But unless we're giving these players an opportunity we simply don't know what they're capable of. Yes, they're raw, yes they're inexperienced, but like almost every other decent player out there at moment they need to learn somewhere. As far as I'm concerned they deserve an opportunity.

Nah he was clearly on. If it wasn't for Shola he'd have probably been called off. Doesn't excuse Simpson's backing off from the cross though.

I agree, nobody should excuse him as he's been doing it all season, but I do wonder... do our coaches NOT give this feedback to him? You'd have thought after his mother-of-all-back-ups against that freekick at Anfield, where he practically sucked all the air in front of the ball and into the net, someone would've spanked him in the dressing rooms each time he did the same thing.

Being subbed off on the hour mark should act as an incentive for him to up his concentration levels. His defending today was well below par especially considering that his defending is meant to be his best attribute of his limited ability.

Delivered one good ball into the box though.

You'd think he punched the ball in to our net given some of the comments. You've got:

- Shola playing everyone needlessly onside for starters.

- Williamson allowing Lukaku to knock it off to whoever under little pressure and then following the ball thus rendering himself out of position

- Coloccini completely leaving Lukaku free to head in (Santon could probably cover more too)

alongside him letting the cross in and even then he's only a yard off Gera.

I thought Williamson was mainly to blame - Lukaku should never be winning the first header.

That's what I thought, still, I knew Simpson would get the blame for it.  Having said that, he didn't have a very good game and can have no complaints about coming off based on his overall performance.

I thought Williamson was mainly to blame - Lukaku should never be winning the first header.

Williamson was to blame for allowing Lukaku to win the first header but to be fair to him he'd just got injured prior to this and was struggling to jump and run (even more than usual before anyone starts) and Saylor was hurridly warming up but then stopped after Williamson seemed to run it off.

You'd think he punched the ball in to our net given some of the comments. You've got:

- Shola playing everyone needlessly onside for starters.

- Williamson allowing Lukaku to knock it off to whoever under little pressure and then following the ball thus rendering himself out of position

- Coloccini completely leaving Lukaku free to head in (Santon could probably cover more too)

alongside him letting the cross in and even then he's only a yard off Gera.

Agree with this; the ease with which Lukaku won the header was in stark contrast to the hard (but fair) time that Ba, Ameobi snr and Cisse got all afternoon. Williamson's challenge was poor.

Do I think either Ferguson or Tavernier could come into the side immediately and make a significant difference? Perhaps not. But unless we're giving these players an opportunity we simply don't know what they're capable of. Yes, they're raw, yes they're inexperienced, but like almost every other decent player out there at moment they need to learn somewhere. As far as I'm concerned they deserve an opportunity.

Ugh, I still get the chills when I think about the last time Tavernier played in the league for us. Fergie is arguably ready to be started though.

Guest bimpy474

Unbelievable this plank managed to waltz straight back in to the team despite Anita looking far more capable at full back. Simpson and Jonas need dropping asap but I doubt that'll happen as they're both 'hard-working' favourites.

Absolutely, seems to a serious achilles heel of Pardew's in dropping players out of form, or players that are just plain shit if they are a favourite of his.

I don't object to the principle of Simpson backing off as it can be the right decision in certain circumstances.  What annoys me is that he is never tight enough to the attacker to make it an effective tactic.  You can't just back off to the edge of the penalty area and defend from there.

Would love to know what they say to Simpson during their video analysis sessions.

Guest bimpy474

Seeing that goal again Williamson doesn't even attempt to stop the cross either, actually think Willo was just as much to blame for just standing there like a plank.