Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Always seems that we need a whipping boy and Simpson's the latest.

He's not top drawer, but the criticism he gets is OTT.

People have been saying it since we signed him though, so I wouldn't say he's the latest whipping boy.

Guest Dontooner

Constantly find my self going against the grain recently....

Thought Simpson is a better player with Obertan attack wise.. Obertan is laying him not only alot of balls and vast space for crosses...

Simpson's crosses are decent...but he got to start aiming or whipping them in at pace...

Defensive wise....he is still a big suspect...shit on his days....

but the partnership seem to be growing on me. 

I like the guy, he's simply not good enough, it's that simple, squad player yes.

Think this is the crux of it. He's not on a level with the vast majority of our starting XI. The fact the rest of the team has started coming together is going to put the spotlight on his mediocre performances. As many have said, he's our weak link. One to improve on, the first chance we get to sign another good full back. But, compared to some of our other weak links, at least this is one we can live with and, overall, is at least still good enough for a squad role.

This is someone that didn't watch Saturday's match, so can't comment on this weekend's performance.

He's not very skilful on the ball, so I can accept that in attack, his contribution is going to be erratic.

However, he's strong enough and quick enough to do a decent enough job in defence. Not fantastic, but decent enough. The trouble is, he's so scared of making a mistake and getting beaten that he leaves the attacker too much room. He's lacking courage - not in the physical sense, but mental. He could do better.

About this time-ish last season when he replaced Perch he looked very good. He's got worse instead of better. Complacency, perhaps?

The lack of competition at RB is probably a key factor. We signed Santon as our new left back so Simpson would still be our first choice RB. I, for one, reckon he can do better, just needs a kick up his arse. His personal problems seem to be behind him so hopefully he'll improve in the coming weeks....

Guest Rey Mysterio

About this time-ish last season when he replaced Perch he looked very good. He's got worse instead of better. Complacency, perhaps?

The lack of competition at RB is probably a key factor. We signed Santon as our new left back so Simpson would still be our first choice RB. I, for one, reckon he can do better, just needs a kick up his arse. His personal problems seem to be behind him so hopefully he'll improve in the coming weeks....

For me that should never be an issue with a professional sportsman. The fact he's not very good should be motivation enough to improve, not the fact that there's no one to replace him.

I admire your faith in him that he will come good but for me he just isn't good enough. Never has been and never will be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What did Bale do today btw?

:thup:

I posted this at 1:43pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say, most games (and I do it myself) we look at the opposition, think "shit, so and so is going to piss all over so and do" but here we are 7 games and 15 points in. It's like we have never managed to handle good players before and I don't just mean this season with that.

If Sunderland have taught us anything, games aren't played on paper.

HOWAY THE TOON!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------