Alan Shearer

Weznufc

6 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

My hero growing up and a club legend. Can't help but love the guy whatever he's doing.

Likewise. He's the reason I ended up supporting this club instead of following Millwall like my dad. I have a lot to thank him for :lol:

10 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

My hero growing up and a club legend. Can't help but love the guy whatever he's doing.

Pretty much this. Have a good one Al

Screenshot_20240813_213116_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c07242624f9474930b73e0c99fe834dc.jpg

Just seen this image, is that right for Lampard?! If so that's absolutely incredible for a midfielder. Never realised fwank had scored that many.

Can't see anyone overtaking big Al for a long long time though. Maybe Isak? :D

Edited by Scotty66

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

Just seen this image, is that right for Lampard?! If so that's absolutely incredible for a midfielder. Never realised fwank had scored that many

It's most goals AND assists, which is a weird stat to quote but might help Lampard a bit. 

Still scored loads though.

Always thought the 'PL greatest' stuff is contrived bollocks, and had a lot to do with Sky inventing football.

Shearer's record is incredible in any context - below is the true all time top-flight goalscorers list.  To be fifth on that (and second on the post-war list) is remarkable.  It is also a reminder that Harry Kane had a considerable amount of ground to catch-up, and players to overhaul ...

image.thumb.png.05566b0293bd4509051ee2dd37a6ce44.png

18 hours ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Good grief you lot will be slagging of Jackie Milburn next 

I know - all those goals, everything shearer did for us, including reportedly turning Man U down several times to stay at us. Never had a more loyal player  in my lifetime, love him and everything he does.

51 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I know - all those goals, everything shearer did for us, including reportedly turning Man U down several times to stay at us. Never had a more loyal player  in my lifetime, love him and everything he does.

Shearer turned Man Utd to stay with us?  Don't remember this at all tbh.  I remember him being linked to Liverpool, and then Aston Villa when Gullit was in charge.  

The Chelsea goal is my favourite - a glorious sunny Sunday and the way he bullied Desailly and spun and smashed it into the top bin from 25 yards was unreal! Great co-commentary by Ray Wilkins when you watch it back too! 

Arsenal won the league at Spurs in the 4.30pm game that day too! Cracking day out in town! 

Edited by Paully

23 minutes ago, Paully said:

The Chelsea goal is my favourite - a glorious sunny Sunday and the way he bullied Desailly and spun and smashed it into the top bin from 25 yards was unreal! Great co-commentary by Ray Wilkins when you watch it back too! 

Arsenal won the league at Spurs in the 4.30pm game that day too! Cracking day out in town! 

Thought we'd go on to pip Liverpool for 4th after this but we couldn't win away to save our lives that season. Lost the next week away to a very shit Man City team, couldn't beat Southampton away or Wolves who were relegated at home. In the end needed a draw at Liverpool just to sneak the UEFA Cup spot. 

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Always thought the 'PL greatest' stuff is contrived bollocks, and had a lot to do with Sky inventing football.

Shearer's record is incredible in any context - below is the true all time top-flight goalscorers list.  To be fifth on that (and second on the post-war list) is remarkable.  It is also a reminder that Harry Kane had a considerable amount of ground to catch-up, and players to overhaul ...

image.thumb.png.05566b0293bd4509051ee2dd37a6ce44.png

There's a reason why the list full of players before 1970 , you have to take into consideration of weaker defense in previous era

For example average goal in 1930 is 3.9 per match , and 3.7 per match in 1960 
in 1990 it's 2.6 per match, i would say Shearer record is more impressive 

49 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Shearer turned Man Utd to stay with us?  Don't remember this at all tbh.  I remember him being linked to Liverpool, and then Aston Villa when Gullit was in charge.  

Fergie was quoted saying he tried to buy him a few times but couldn’t 

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Yeah, he tried to sign him when he moved from Southampton to Blackburn and then tried again when he moved from Blackburn to Newcastle.

17 minutes ago, Ben said:

Shearers goal scoring record was amazing, but it would have been so much better if he didn't come to us. Legend. 

100% - played in a mid-table team for half his time at us and suffered serious injuries.

If he’d signed for Man Utd, he’d probably have another 100 PL goals! 

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

57 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Yeah, he tried to sign him when he moved from Southampton to Blackburn and then tried again when he moved from Blackburn to Newcastle.

Yep - he didn’t try while he was at NUFC

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Shearers goal scoring record was amazing, but it would have been so much better if he didn't come to us. Legend. 

I really don’t think that’s true. At Man U For example he certainly wouldn’t have been starting beyond the age of 31 like he did for us until almost 36. 

Think that's probably offset by the higher amount of goals he'd have scored for them until that point and then probably equalling the amount he scored for us with any other team in the league after that point.

Potentially, yeah. He had a very good deal with us post 30 though. Excellent supply lines, a partner doing his running, played every minute when fit and obviously a very shrewd manager focused on getting the best out of his twilight years - till Souness came along when he was 34, at least. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I really don’t think that’s true. At Man U For example he certainly wouldn’t have been starting beyond the age of 31 like he did for us until almost 36. 

Sheringham still managed 153 appearances there in 4 seasons after turning 30, so you're probably wrong. 

1 minute ago, Tross said:

Sheringham still managed 153 appearances there in 4 seasons after turning 30, so you're probably wrong. 

Really not sure how that’s a valid comparison as you’d struggle to find two more different forwards. 

There were simply much better strikers out there than Shearer at that point in his career and they carried no one. 

18 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Really not sure how that’s a valid comparison as you’d struggle to find two more different forwards. 

There were simply much better strikers out there than Shearer at that point in his career and they carried no one. 

pst 30 year old Sheringham wasn't one of them