Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer scored so many goals because he was great at the actual art of scoring goals. Volleys, headers, free-kicks, penalties, tap ins, screamers, left and right foot finishes, worldy finishes, one on ones etc. There are not that many players at current that capable. That's why Shearer could core goals for even shitty sides. Even towards the end his goals to games ratio was very good and he was basically knackered by then. I can't see it being beaten for decades.

Guest firetotheworks

Depends who they played for IMO.

I don't get this line of thinking either, mind. Our league has had plenty of players banging them in for average to s*** teams. Suarez, Tevez, Bent, Johnson, Defoe, Keane, Le Tissier, and dare I say it, Shearer. If they can do it, Ronaldo and Messi obviously can.

Kevin Phillips scored 30 in a season for Sunderland :lol:

:thup: Added to the edit.

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer scored so many goals because he was great at the actual art of scoring goals. Volleys, headers, free-kicks, penalties, tap ins, screamers, left and right foot finishes, worldy finishes, one on ones etc. There are not that many players at current that capable. That's why Shearer could core goals for even shitty sides. Even towards the end his goals to games ratio was very good and he was basically knackered by then. I can't see it being beaten for decades.

*Ronaldo claxon*

Guest firetotheworks

I know what yous are saying, but to take it to it's logical extreme I can guarantee Messi wouldn't be scoring 73 goals in a season from West Brom :lol:

I was going to make another post about this like. Why would he be playing for West Brom? :lol: Shearer played for a team that won the league, then one that was challenging for the league, then mid table, then challenging for the champions league. Messi obviously wouldn't score 73 goals for West Brom, but the point is that in the same set of circumstances to the current record holder, he'd beat the record, as would Ronaldo. It's such a weird argument imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just think how a 21 year old Andy Cole in his first season scored 34 PL goals and played for Man Utd and he got nowhere near Big Al in the end despite playing a year more. Although he did play fewer games.

I don't get this line of thinking either, mind. Our league has had plenty of players banging them in for average to shit teams. Suarez, Tevez, Bent, Johnson, Defoe, Keane, Le Tissier, and dare I say it, Shearer. If they can do it, Ronaldo and Messi obviously can.

It makes a difference though for sure. Messi has more or less a 1 in 1 record for Barca and 1 in 2 for Argentina (who aren't even shit either btw). It's not even a criticism of the guy but I get that some people see Messi like some kind of Scion and obscures all faculties :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I don't get this line of thinking either, mind. Our league has had plenty of players banging them in for average to shit teams. Suarez, Tevez, Bent, Johnson, Defoe, Keane, Le Tissier, and dare I say it, Shearer. If they can do it, Ronaldo and Messi obviously can.

It makes a difference though for sure. Messi has more or less a 1 in 1 record for Barca and 1 in 2 for Argentina (who aren't even shit either btw). It's not even a criticism of the guy but I get that some people see Messi like some kind of Scion and obscures all faculties :lol:

No, I agree with that, obviously he wouldn't score as many as he has for Barca, but he'd still beat Shearer's record if he played for West Brom. :lol: What a sentence.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ronaldo, Messi et al would score 30 + but not every single season. The PL is a tougher league than Spain, in terms of fitness, mental strength and I believe defensively as well. I could actually see Messi being more like Aguero here, goals galore and stellar performances but fitness issues.

Guest Howaythetoon

Another thing to consider, the number of games Shearer missed due to injury and some of the shitty sides he played in.

Ronaldo, Messi et al would score 30 + but not every single season. The PL is a tougher league than Spain, in terms of fitness, mental strength and I believe defensively as well. I could actually see Messi being more like Aguero here, goals galore and stellar performances but fitness issues.

Messi is roughly one billion times the player Aguero is

No, I agree with that, obviously he wouldn't score as many as he has for Barca, but he'd still beat Shearer's record if he played for West Brom. :lol: What a sentence.

For West Brom? I disagree. Even with defences being as shit as they are now.

He can kick through steel HTT. He is immune to triple coverage. He doesn't even need to play with a team.

Guest firetotheworks

Just think how a 21 year old Andy Cole in his first season scored 34 PL goals and played for Man Utd and he got nowhere near Big Al despite laying a year more. Although he did play fewer games.

...and didn't take penalties. If he had (no idea why he didn't) he'd probably be pretty close considering Shearer's record is made up of 56 penalties.

He can kick through steel HTT. He is immune to triple coverage. He doesn't even need to play with a team.

wat

Guest firetotheworks

How often do you watch La Liga, because the PL really isn't all that and hasn't been for ages. Messi gets kicked all over as well and has done from the beginning. Not to mention that he regularly embarrasses the very best English clubs and that Ronaldo embarrassed English clubs whilst playing in England.

It's fair enough to say that maybe they wouldn't get the same amount of goals in the PL, but not above 30 a season? Both of them have been getting 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 goals a season. Suggesting that they wouldn't get over 30 a season consistently is based on nothing but this assumption about better defences and it being harder to score. It's nonsense, look at Aguero, Suarez, Hazard et al who've done it in this league. These are the two best player in the world, of course they'd do it.

How often do you watch La Liga, because the PL really isn't all that and hasn't been for ages. Messi gets kicked all over as well and has done from the beginning.

Can you remember that challenge where his ankle was basically past a 90 degree angle to his shin and he was out for about a week? :lol:

He has superhuman conditioning like.

look at Aguero, Suarez, Hazard et al who've done it in this league. These are the two best player in the world, of course they'd do it.

Hazard?

Guest firetotheworks

For West Brom? I disagree. Even with defences being as shit as they are now.

The team that Lukaku, Berahino, and Odemwingie scored ~17 goals a season for? I reckon he could like. Anyway, let's stop, I feel like this is a bit of a playground debate at this point like. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

look at Aguero, Suarez, Hazard et al who've done it in this league. These are the two best player in the world, of course they'd do it.

Hazard?

Not so much goalscoring, I meant dealt with the physicality/toughness of the PL and pissing the league despite being a little munchkin.

Guest Howaythetoon

How often do you watch La Liga, because the PL really isn't all that and hasn't been for ages. Messi gets kicked all over as well and has done from the beginning. Not to mention that he regularly embarrasses the very best English clubs and that Ronaldo embarrassed English clubs whilst playing in England.

It's fair enough to say that maybe they wouldn't get the same amount of goals in the PL, but not above 30 a season? Both of them have been getting 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 goals a season. Suggesting that they wouldn't get over 30 a season consistently is based on nothing but this assumption about better defences and it being harder to score. It's nonsense, look at Aguero, Suarez, Hazard et al who've done it in this league. These are the two best player in the world, of course they'd do it.

I'm not dismissing La Liga, its the best league in the world with the best players. But the Premier League is a very tough competition for any footballer, especially physically and mentally. Messi is obviously the best player in the world and physically and mentally he is tough, but I personally think he would find the Premier League way tougher than La Liga physically, mentally and yes defensively in terms of space, tackling and how quick the league can be.

Today its very tough for a player to get over 30 PL goals consistently. Again I don't think the likes of Messi would rack up the ridiculous number of goals scored here in the PL as they do in La Liga. They would star every week, outshine every other and score goals galore, but just not at the levels they do in La Liga. IMO anyway!

I'm someone who thinks the PL is massively overrated btw as a spectacle, but its fucking tough and its an old cliche but there are no real home bankers if you like these days. Juts look at Boro vs Arsenal and City lately.