Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way I think Shearer would get 18 + league goals per season today consistently whether he was playing for the mackems or Watford, that's how good he was.

Ronaldo and Messi probably wouldn't score as many goals in the PL.

Ronaldo did?

I think he got 40 odd goals in one season but it was in all competitions. Not sure.

I was under the impression that your first post was just a joke.

Erm, nah.

What's Suarez's goalscoring ratio, btw?

You don't think Ronaldo (who actually scored 23, 42, and 26 goals in England) or Messi (who regularly pisses all over the best English teams) wouldn't score as many goals in the Premier League? :lol: You can't be serious?

Ronaldo has scored 40 or 50 odd goals consistently in La Liga, no? His stats are certainly better in Spain.

Messi? Didn't he "struggle" for goals against English clubs before the last few years?

Also, are you not capable of disagreeing with someone without sounding like a total twat?

I sound like a twat? You're the only one I can see name-calling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't being a twat any way. I honestly did think that you were joking, mainly because the idea that Ronaldo and Messi couldn't score 260 goals in the Premier League is based on literally nothing at all, I assumed that it could only possibly be a joke.

Well, that wasn't my blimming point, champ.

Guest firetotheworks

By the way I think Shearer would get 18 + league goals per season today consistently whether he was playing for the mackems or Watford, that's how good he was.

:thup: Of course he would. Like I said earlier, players with half of his ability have done exactly that, which is why this whole thing about our league being tougher is lost on me. :don't know:

To put it into perspective Aguero joined the Premiership at a similar age and is 150 goals off. He'd need to average 25 goals a season until he was 36 to match Shearer's record.

Incredible when you put it like that.

:lol:

It's hilarious.

On the general point, it would need to be a British player IMO. A forrin would just be off to Barcelona or Real Madrid after a couple of seasons of high success, like Ronaldo and Suarez.

On that point, how many genuine top class forwards (Ballon d'Or winners/runners up etc) stay their whole career in Britain*? I'm obviously no expecting a scientific answer here.

Any noticeable forrins?

*obviously you can expect their Premiership career to be book-ended by a couple of lesser sides abroad.

Guest firetotheworks

It was more of a '90s/'00s thing. Henry, Lampard, Gerrard, Torres,  Ronaldo were all nominated/Ronaldo won while in England.

Ronaldo and Messi probably wouldn't score as many goals in the PL.

Ronaldo did?

I think he got 40 odd goals in one season but it was in all competitions. Not sure.

He either equaled Shearer for best one season in the PL or was a goal away. If Ronaldo had stayed i think he would have broke the scoring record.

Once in a lifetimes type player, Utd should have done everything to hold onto him.

Just think how a 21 year old Andy Cole in his first season scored 34 PL goals and played for Man Utd and he got nowhere near Big Al despite laying a year more. Although he did play fewer games.

...and didn't take penalties. If he had (no idea why he didn't) he'd probably be pretty close considering Shearer's record is made up of 56 penalties.

He took one at Highfield Road and missed it. Never took one after that.

:thup: Of course he would. Like I said earlier, players with half of his ability have done exactly that, which is why this whole thing about our league being tougher is lost on me. :don't know:

Tougher than La Liga yeah.  As far as wether Messi/Ronaldo would get 30+ goals a season, its impossible to say.  My own opinion is they'd certainly reach that number but not consistently.  You mention earlier players that have done it in this league (Suarez, Aguero, Hazard).  Those three have certainly been successful.  But only one of those hit 30+ in the league and he only did it once (31 for Suarez in his final season).

Ronaldo hit 31 goals in the Premier League once, didn't come close any other season.  Yet he's only failed to get 31+ once in his time in La Liga, often scoring 40+ in the league.

Tougher than La Liga yeah.  As far as wether Messi/Ronaldo would get 30+ goals a season, its impossible to say.  My own opinion is they'd certainly reach that number but not consistently.  You mention earlier players that have done it in this league (Suarez, Aguero, Hazard).  Those three have certainly been successful.  But only one of those hit 30+ in the league and he only did it once (31 for Suarez in his final season).

Ronaldo hit 31 goals in the Premier League once, didn't come close any other season.  Yet he's only failed to get 31+ once in his time in La Liga, often scoring 40+ in the league.

Ronaldo was more of an out and out winger in England than he is in Spain, certainly the last few years in Spain anyway. I think if Messi or Ronaldo were playing for Barca and Real in England they'd score as many but not if they were playing for Man City or Liverpool because those teams aren't near as good/consistent

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer hit over 30 goals in the league on three occasions, all whilst at Blackburn. The only other players who've hit over 30 goals in the league at all are Cole, Phillips, Henry, Ronaldo, Van Persie and Suarez. That's 5 players. In the same period of time Romario, Pizzi, Original Ronaldo, Forlan, Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez have scored over 30 goals in La Liga. That's 7 players, it's hardly that much harder in the Premier League, especially considering 2 of those La Liga players hit over 30 in the Premier League too.

The only player to score over 30 a season in the Premier League anywhere near consistently at all was Shearer, the only players to hit over 30 a season in La Liga anywhere near consistently at all is Messi and Ronaldo. The difference of course being that those players are so good that they've gone even further and hit over 40 and 50 in the league alone.

I dunno, apples and oranges and all that, but I do think this whole the PL is tougher thing is a bit of a myth.

I don't know, I mean Ronaldo's hit over thirty in La Liga six seasons in a row, three of those seasons he's scored forty or over just in the league.  Messi's scored over thirty five times and once scored 50 in the league in one season!  These are 38 game seasons as well.  You mention Shearer doing it three times but two of those seasons were were 42 game seasons.

Would be good if Ronaldo came back to the Premier League soon or Messi came over, than we could get a better idea.  But I still think Premier League is tougher overall, no team can just turn up and dominate every game.

Messi and Ronaldo take the piss out the Champions League each year as well. I think it's a bit daft when you score as ridiculously consistently as those two do to think they'd suddenly stop when they have to play the likes of Hull and Swansea every week. Even the top sides like City look unable to keep a clean sheet, the standard of defending is just really average.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Previous convo: Suarez hit 30 goals in his last season at Liverpool, he's continued in the same vein in La Liga. Ronaldo was yet to peak before moving to Real and he also managed it. Bale too has a similar ratio.

Then you look at the likes of Torres, Ibra & Aguero whose record are identical or better in PL than in Spain.

Then you look at their record in the CL (Messi and Ronaldo). It's only arrogance that would lead someone to suggest in their primes they couldn't consistently manage 30 PL goals. They're proven a level above the competition throughout their careers.

Previous convo: Suarez hit 30 goals in his last season at Liverpool, he's continued in the same vein in La Liga. Ronaldo was yet to peak before moving to Real and he also managed it. Bale too has a similar ratio.

Then you look at the likes of Torres, Ibra & Aguero whose record are identical or better in PL than in Spain.

Then you look at their record in the CL (Messi and Ronaldo). It's only arrogance that would lead someone to suggest in their primes they couldn't consistently manage 30 PL goals. They're proven a level above the competition throughout their careers.

I'm not sure if this was ever stated on here. I think it was questioned whether they would get the same ratio in the PL as they have in Spain.