Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Guest Howaythetoon

Man Utd fans know that with Shearer in their side, they basically get another Keane in terms of winning mentality, leadership and fierce professionalism but with tonnes of goals too. KK said if they signed Shearer over us, we could forget winning the league. That's why it still hurts them, because with Shearer they would have been even more formidable. He got 206 goals for us and was injured a number of times. For Man Utd he would have ended up as their record goalscorer for sure.

Guest Howaythetoon

With Ronaldo on this one, in my four years living in Manchester I didn't meet a single one that was arsed about it. A source of amusement and a bit of fun for a wind up (hence the Shearer song every time we play them).

I work there all the time and have done for a number of years and when it comes to football some are still bitter about it. Not all of course, but a good few.

Guest chicken little
Aye, we've been a joke for 20 years, they should laugh at us/him if anything.

they are doing

It gets to them.

it really doesn't. they spent 10% of the fee on solskjaer and went on to win everything.

Guest firetotheworks

Those Man United fans on Twitter must all be pretending to be wound up then.

Just because they won eveything doesn't stop their bitterness towards Shearer, because he had the gall to join his hometown club in the hope he could make them great as well.

Of course it bothers them, they're unbelievably arrogant and petty as it is. I suppose winning a lot might do that like.

Guest Howaythetoon

They are as arrogant as they come, I can't stand them. The genuine born in Manchester Man Utd fans are the worst these days, much more than the glory hunting lot. City fans are getting like that as well. I think its in their makeup as Mancs because of the music scene and other cultural things. Liverpool used to be like that because of the Beatles, comedy etc.

Why should they care? They've won everything without him. I'm yet to meet a single Man Utd fan who gives a flying f*** about Alan Shearer turning them down 20 years ago.

so they say...

If Man Utd had signed Shearer in 1996 they would have dominated Europe and would have probably eclipsed Liverpool's then four European titles by the time they collected the fifth.

Why should they care? They've won everything without him. I'm yet to meet a single Man Utd fan who gives a flying f*** about Alan Shearer turning them down 20 years ago.

Oh come on. They seem to care as they get all defensive when he mentions it. Of course Man Utd went on to do much better than us, but it's not really that deep of a joke.

Guest Howaythetoon

If Man Utd had signed Shearer in 1996 they would have dominated Europe and would have probably eclipsed Liverpool's then four European titles by the time they collected the fifth.

They would have got arguably the world's best all-round center-forward in his peak at the time who given their team, would have been an absolute animal in front of goal with all that possession and attacking play. I think he would have topped 30 league goals per season for another 4 years at least in that team and would have had 60 + extra PL goals to his name over what he has now. Again KK himself said if we didn't buy Shearer and let Man Utd get him, we could forget winning the league. While we didn't go on to win the league, getting Shearer meant we could realistically beat Man Utd and others to it. That was the whole point of signing him. They shouldn't be bitter, but they are and that's because they know what they lost out on.

Shearer on the service they produced would have been terrifying. The only question would be how long him and Fergie would have got on. Can imagine that relationship would have been fascinating to watch.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer on the service they produced would have been terrifying. The only question would be how long him and Fergie would have got on. Can imagine that relationship would have been fascinating to watch.

I reckon they would have got on very well because Shearer despite his strong mentality, was a team-player and a consummate professional. Fergie didn't like anyone questioning his authority or anyone who basically become selfish.

Currently reading Michael Cox's book about the history of tactics in the Premier League and he's not coming across great in there due to taking the huff when Blackburn bought Sutton and having to play with Owen for England instead of Sheringham!

Pretty much everyone who played with Shearer and have been candid about it said he was only really concerned about his own performance, his own goal return. I'm not being critical of him, as such. A striker can be solely concerned about doing his job and to a certain extent should be. To say he wasn't selfish is being naïve, though. I never bought it as a coincidence that Bobby was sacked and replaced by a manager who'd just tried to buy Shearer, 2 days after he was dropped for Kluivert.

That game against Celtic (iirc) in pre-season, too. Shearer was subbed off (to get Kluivert some minutes) after an hour and promptly had a go at Bobby on the touchline. Pretty fucking pathetic, like. He was days away from turning 34 at the time. As Bobby said in his book even the likes of a prime Van Nistelrooj got rested.

• 3 weeks later...