Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we sign Beckford for anything at £3 million or less I will give some respect to Ashley and his current posse. Ashley is a gambler and Beckford is well worth a punt at that price and is a far better informed bet than, for example, the £5 million he shipped out on Xisco....

From what i can gather he's just a very, very good finisher. He probably wouldn't need to be a particularly great footballer to be effective in our team - certainly not in this league, similar to Shola really. Shola - let's face it - he's a pretty wank footballer. He's played alongside some half-decent strikers so aye, he has the nice touch here and there, but by and large he's just a finisher and that's why he's got 8 in 10 this season, or something.

The type of football we've played this season, we can defend our way to a victory. We can create one chance and score, and that'll be enough. That sort of winning football hits the rocks when our strikers are off form or injured, see Derby/Plymouth. Ordinarily we'd have snuck a win in both of them though but our attacking players misfired.

Beckford puts the ball in the net more often than not and that's why i think he'll be a ruddy good signing for us. I reckoned he'd score a shitload at home especially.

This is the mentality I find hard to understand tbh. Shola is castigated for having a poor touch, but we have a midfield who can't manage to pass sideways without losing possession, defenders who lump the ball long in case they get caught on the ball and Andy Carroll who's only attribute is jumping high. Why does Shola still get picked out in this company?

From what i can gather he's just a very, very good finisher. He probably wouldn't need to be a particularly great footballer to be effective in our team - certainly not in this league, similar to Shola really. Shola - let's face it - he's a pretty wank footballer. He's played alongside some half-decent strikers so aye, he has the nice touch here and there, but by and large he's just a finisher and that's why he's got 8 in 10 this season, or something.

The type of football we've played this season, we can defend our way to a victory. We can create one chance and score, and that'll be enough. That sort of winning football hits the rocks when our strikers are off form or injured, see Derby/Plymouth. Ordinarily we'd have snuck a win in both of them though but our attacking players misfired.

Beckford puts the ball in the net more often than not and that's why i think he'll be a ruddy good signing for us. I reckoned he'd score a shitload at home especially.

This is the mentality I find hard to understand tbh. Shola is castigated for having a poor touch, but we have a midfield who can't manage to pass sideways without losing possession, defenders who lump the ball long in case they get caught on the ball and Andy Carroll who's only attribute is jumping high. Why does Shola still get picked out in this company?

Habit.

Who says Leeds would want Ranger? They may be able to see past the hype. I'm sure most people only like Ranger because of his "STR8 like a banana" internet bollocks. He's another one of the Newcastle crowd's unjustifiable (so far) fan favourites (following in the footsteps of Viana and Ketsbia).

Viana a fan's favourite??  No-one liked Viana.  Which is a shame because he was actually quite good.

There was definitely a time when Viana was a fan favourite. He wasn't liked by the end of his Newcastle career. Lua Lua was another fan favourite. The crowd have a history of liking players who take the headless chicken approach to the game. Probably because we like to see players run at the opposition (hence why everyone got excited about Pancrate when he first played).

We like any player that's good or at least puts some effort in.  But when most of your team has the do fuck all approach to the game the headless chicken can look great in comparison.

By the way, you're not saying you think Viana took the headless chicken approach are you? ???

Guest Heneage

I always liked Viana, he was an exciting prospect, and just think he was asked to do a job he physically wasn't built for.

As for Beckford, I think why not, something a bit different.

Habit.

Er, it's not habit at all - cos i've got a lot of time for Shola, so you can shit off with that sorta patronising bollocks. I picked him out because he's a poor footballer but a very good finisher. It kinda slotted in with the general point of my post. I don't think anything i said about him was inaccurate or unfair.

So nyer. :smug:

Habit.

Er, it's not habit at all - cos i've got a lot of time for Shola, so you can shit off with that sorta patronising bollocks. I picked him out because he's a poor footballer but a very good finisher. It kinda slotted in with the general point of my post. I don't think anything i said about him was inaccurate or unfair.

So nyer. :smug:

To be totally honest I'd just been skimming the thread and only noticed the reply to your post, I hadn't read yours, so I can't have been patronising towards you, sorry though. O0

I must admit I am now quite excited about his signing, I know it will all go wrong but fuck it lets enjoy ourselves for a minute.

Same opinion here. :thup:

I think I'm excited to see us take a gamble on someone only proven in the lower leagues.

Guest toonlass

I must admit I am now quite excited about his signing, I know it will all go wrong but fuck it lets enjoy ourselves for a minute.

Same opinion here. :thup:

I think I'm excited to see us take a gamble on someone only proven in the lower leagues.

This, I want to see if he can actually make the step up and will be 100% willing him on to be able to.

People who post before reading are the scum of the Earth iyam. Bad craic, Indi. :thdn:

I read the bit I was interested in, it just wasn't your bit. :p

That, might be a bit patronising perhaps.

IF we get him:

It will be interesting to see weather he can cope if we go up next season. It will certainly be a massive step up for him from league 1 to the premier league with just half a season in the championship inbetween. Obviously he'll not be banging them in like he was for Leeds but hopefully he can cut the msutard and chip in with a fair few goals.

I've never really had the chance to watch him to often but I wonder what his chance to goal ratio is like, is he a good finisher? or does he waste a lot of chances? From what I've seen of him he looks bright, lively and more importantly; pacey. However we never seem to exploit teams using pace, we never seem to get in behind teams when Lovenkrands plays, Martins never did either though weather he was as quick as he wassupposed to be remains to be seen.

Had a look on a few Leeds forums and the general consensus seems to be that he's not good enough for the premier league, he's disloyal and Leeds are bigger than Newcastle anyway. Typical Leeds fans  :rolleyes:

If we get him will he get the 9? There's a lot of pressure straight away if he does get it

he seems to suffer under pressure...Man Utd aside, his past performance in big pressure games (playoffs) has been poor...

conversely, he gets lax and doesnt try, maybe we need to light a fire under him in order to get him to put some effort in to nick some goals...

50/50 imo..

If we get him will he get the 9? There's a lot of pressure straight away if he does get it

We should only give the coveted jeresy to a person who really wants it. If a person have broad shoulder and say I want that number 9 shirt we should give it.

We should only give the coveted jeresy to a person who really wants it. If a person have broad shoulder and say I want that number 9 shirt we should give it.

so what if shola says he wants it.......................................

We should leave it vacant until we make a big signing or someone earns it.