Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Yes, a decent profit on all those but shoiuld they have been signed in the first place?

Redknapp was given the go ahead by the owners to buy players - it wasn't his money. And if you buy something you can't afford and then sell it at £40 odd million profit was it a mistake to have bought it?

Well, it would seem the profit they made just wasnt anywhere near enough anyway. They must have already been in one hell of a financial state when they brought these players in at over inflated salaries in the first place.

You would think their administration would have realised that they could not sustain such costs beforehand.

Surely the real issue here isn't how much they paid for players, but the wages they paid out.  They made a good profit on buying and selling players, but the wages they gave those players while they were at the club was so exorbitant they still bankrupted themselves.  So at the end of the day no matter how much profit they made on selling these players it was still a mistake to sign them.  Both Redknapp and Storrie should have known better and both are to blame IMO.

Chelsea couldn't cover their running costs either but they have an owner who is prepared to fund any shortfalls. Portsmouth thought they had a similarly minded and well resourced owner and Redknapp was given the geeen light to do what he did. If Abramavitch went tits up you would have an even worse situation at Chelsea and it would not be Mourinho's fault imo.

Chelsea couldn't cover their running costs either but they have an owner who is prepared to fund any shortfalls. Portsmouth thought they had a similarly resourced owner and Redknapp was given the geeen light to do what he did. If Abramavitch went tits up you would have an even worse situation at Chelsea and it would not be Mourinho's fault imo.

Very true, but the hatred for Redknapp on here will not allow for sensible thinking like that.

I for one think he should be jailed; even if its just for being an ugly cunt, there's at least several custodial years there the state of his face.

Chelsea couldn't cover their running costs either but they have an owner who is prepared to fund any shortfalls. Portsmouth thought they had a similarly resourced owner and Redknapp was given the geeen light to do what he did. If Abramavitch went tits up you would have an even worse situation at Chelsea and it would not be Mourinho's fault imo.

Very true, but the hatred for Redknapp on here will not allow for sensible thinking like that.

I for one think he should be jailed; even if its just for being an ugly c***, there's at least several custodial years there the state of his face.

still could be jailed (highly unlikely though) as i think he is still being investigated by the tax people on personal tax issues.

Chelsea couldn't cover their running costs either but they have an owner who is prepared to fund any shortfalls. Portsmouth thought they had a similarly minded and well resourced owner and Redknapp was given the geeen light to do what he did. If Abramavitch went tits up you would have an even worse situation at Chelsea and it would not be Mourinho's fault imo.

For a while Portsmouth did have an owner who was willing to cover their debts, unfortunately for Portsmouth the supply of cash dried up and the owner decided to get out whilst he could.  2 or 3 owners down the line & none of them have really had enough spare cash to keep the club afloat without bankrupting themselves.

redknapp things a pointless argument unless he broke a cap set by the club on fees and/or wages

if he was given a blank cheque or operated within a set "budget" (ahem) then the current predicament is certainly not his fault, some people want to review their expectations of what a football managers remit is

that said he is a prick of the highest order...

redknapp things a pointless argument unless he broke a cap set by the club on fees and/or wages

if he was given a blank cheque or operated within a set "budget" (ahem) then the current predicament is certainly not his fault, some people want to review their expectations of what a football managers remit is

People generally get a feeling when something isn't right. I can't believe that Redknapp didn't have the 'this is wrong' moment when he was signing some of the players on the wages begin paid. He may not have signed the cheques, but imo any manager has a responsibility to question the chairman when stupid figures are being paid, especially in the post Leeds United era

People generally get a feeling when something isn't right. I can't believe that Redknapp didn't have the 'this is wrong' moment when he was signing some of the players on the wages begin paid. He may not have signed the cheques, but imo any manager has a responsibility to question the chairman when stupid figures are being paid, especially in the post Leeds United era

"where is the money comng from and can we sustain this long term?"

Would be my question.

Would be my question.

and when answered "our rich owner and of course we can" ?

Would be my question.

and when answered "our rich owner and of course we can" ?

"Awesome...lets do this" 

well, i kind of see it the other way around; the manager should tell the chairman who he wants to sign in order to achieve success on the pitch and it's up to the chairman (or whoever controls the money) to be the check and balance to the manager if it's outwith what they can afford

given unlimited funding, or even what pompey provided, i'd guess most managers in the game would sign the players they need to achieve immediate success which redknapp did...i mean really how many managers in the game have the capacity/desire to think long-term anyway in the way that a fergie/wenger do?

it's an immediate results based business, can't blame him really - imagine if he'd turned down the distins, campbells etc. because the wages were high, the ones who got them the cup...he'd have been called a fuckin idiot and sacked for not using the funds at his disposal unless of course he succeeded with cheaper buys

as madras said, even if he asked they'd probably have told him the mega-rich dude would fork it all out anyways

The Pompey players stil haven't been paid

Wonder if that means that the club weren't able to get the bank loan they were talking about, there'll be a mass clear-out if they haven't.

Guest Heneage

The one player who has looked good (Prince Boateng) isn't actually a saleable asset as he's played for two clubs already this season. :lol: