If you were Owen Coyle, would you leave Burnley to manage Bolton?

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Didn't Tony Mowbary finish dead last year with West Brom and is now managing a team that gets an automatic Champions League place every year.

A job that Coyle turned down didn't he? Probably realises he'd get an easy ride up there. Respect to him for staying at Burnley then, but can understand why he'd choose Bolton.

Yes, Bolton will at least have the odd splash on an Anelka or an Elmander, Burnley never will. Bolton have more fans and better players too but they are a worse team, at the moment.

The difference between the sides is marginal but there are other things to take into account, such as facilities.

Anyone that answered "No" really hasn't thought about the bigger picture at all.

Bolton have a wage bill believed to be around 4 times bigger than Burnleys. It was reported that Burnleys top earners are on £12k a week and that Coyle was struggling to match the wages of transfer targets..... from the Championship.

There is far more scope at Bolton for him to achieve things and take another step up the managerial ladder in future.

I have thought about the "bigger picture", I still don't see how Bolton is significantly greener than Burnley ?

Bolton's wage bill might be huge, but :

1. Bolton have been in the premiership for years - they have "guaranteed" annual revenue / cash flow so they can afford so. Burnley are only promoted this year, they are skint naturally. Come next year Burnley's budget would increase.

2. Is it sustainable and serviceable ? Perhaps, that's why Megson was dismissed, because struggling for relegation isn't good enough for the club, financially, given the transfer fees they have spent and the associated wages ?

I am not trying to argue who/what is right/wrong as I think this is very subjective - however I really cannot see how Bolton is a meaninguflly better platform for managerial achievement.

Putting all these into perspective, at least we could really appreciate what did Sam Allardyce achieve with Bolton.

Yes, Bolton will at least have the odd splash on an Anelka or an Elmander, Burnley never will. Bolton have more fans and better players too but they are a worse team, at the moment.

The difference between the sides is marginal but there are other things to take into account, such as facilities.

If Burnley stay up this season, perhaps they would be able to afford an Anelka ?

Facilities yes - but hardly a deciding factor ?

...and manager. I think Coyle will do better with the players at Bolton than the ones at Burnley.

The best Coyle will be able to do with Burnley is establish them as a mid-table side. At best. Bolton have the potential to be a top half team. Not a huge difference, imo. I think he should stay with Burnley for another season or two and then look for something a bit more adventurous.

When Bolton got into Europe under Allardyce they weren't competing again Spurs, Villa, Man City and Fulham (and to some extent Liverpool) OUTSIDE the top 4 places. Its a different situation now...

If Burnley stay up this season, perhaps they would be able to afford an Anelka ?

Facilities yes - but hardly a deciding factor ?

Depends who you are, if i was coach it might be a deciding factor. Burnley will struggle to find 8-10m for one player, especially when you consider Everton struggle to.

i dont see why he rejected celtic which arent the best club but can still get into to the champions league but then wants to go to bolton who have no aspirations what so ever

Agreed. Only thing I can think of is that he wasn't prepared (or doesn't have the balls) to deal with the negativity from fans and press alike if things weren't going as planned. Pretty much like Mowbray is having to deal with now.

Because Bolton is a step up, and if he does get them into mid-table for 2-3 year in a row, something he won't do at Burnley, then he'll be in a better position to either get a better job in the Premier League, or if he goes to Celtic after Bolton in 2-3 years time he won't just have the "anyone could do it in Scotland" tag labelled on him because he'd have proven himself down here first (similar to O'Neill I guess). Doubt the same will happen to Mowbray for example.

At first glance I couldn't see the point, but even without the Bolton connection there may be one. Maybe he does have his eye on the next move, and IS very confident in his own ability. Even if he stayed up with Burnley, who exactly would be courting him next year, or even the year after that? Newcastle? I can't see the Big Four being interested, Bruce, Redknapp, O'Neill, Moyes, Hodgson and McLeish look pretty solid, and Bolton are as good as any other - plus they're available now.

If he does well with Bolton he'd have shown that he can create a squad from close to scratch at a small club and got them playing good football, then done well with more money at a more established Premiership side. It makes his CV all the more attractive.

Maybe he does have his eye on the next move, and IS very confident in his own ability.

I think this is the most convincing explanation I have seen so far.

Maybe Coyle is very confident of himself that team under him won't regress - and he is taking every opportunity to step up.

However then, why not Celtic ? Europe is an excellent place to showcase himself ?

If I was Owen Coyle, managing a club I liked but was not my favourite club, and my favourite club came tagging along all "Oi, guv'nor, fancy some fish'n'chips?", I'd say yes even if it possibly wasn't a step forward.

I just wonder if there's more here than meets the eye - eg some problem between him and the Burnley board. Even if Bolton is his favourite club, that isn't usually a good enough reason to leave. The best you can say about this is it's a sideways move, and sideways moves often don't work.

I wouldn't - not a big enough move - better biding his time till something better comes along.

pretty much this.  If he can keep Burnley up, better offers will present themselves in due course.

Like they have for Phil Brown and Tony Pulis?

To be fair, I think Coyle's achievements with Burnley are better than either of those two - also, Burnley have generally tried to play football, whereas Stoke have relied in a more physical approach(Hull too, to a degree)....if I had to take a gamble on Pulis, Brown or Coyle at NUFC, I would pick Coyle.

If he does decide to head for Bolton then I, for one, wouldn't blame him

At the moment he has a Burnley team that is massivley over achieving

He would be inheriting a team at Bolton that are performing within themselves

Owen Coyle + Bolton = Comfortable prem survival this season

Owen Coyle + Burnley = Last day battle for survival at best