Newcastle United vs. West Bromwich Albion Mon. Jan. 18th 2010 7.45 pm KO

Incognito

From Sky Sports:

Taylor-made for Toon

Beags fancies Toon in Championship showdown

On Monday night we'll see the first of two massive matches between Newcastle and West Brom. They'll both be looking to gain momentum in Monday night's Championship game ahead of their FA Cup clash the following weekend, but I'm sure both managers would say the first one is more important. They'd rather have three points than a place in the fifth round of the Cup. I think this is a bigger game for West Brom than it is for Newcastle. The Baggies want to get back on track after the devastating defeat at home to Nottingham Forest; a game in which they were second best to the pace and power of their opponents.

But Newcastle will provide a different test and I feel West Brom are better on their travels; they've only lost one away game - at Barnsley - this season and are set up to hit teams on the break.

But Newcastle have the best defensive record in the division and have a real edge over West Brom in that department. Albion's new centre-half Gabriel Tamas, for example, was given a torrid introduction to the Championship against Forest, but Newcastle's duo of Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor have been almost impregnable all season.

Coloccini has huge self confidence and probably thought he was going to be a Premier League star. He learned the hard way last year, but he has improved so much, especially when it comes to decision-making, and I know Chris Hughton is pleased with him. As for Taylor, he resisted advances from clubs such as Everton to stay at his beloved Newcastle and has become a local hero. He wants to lead them back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

On the left-hand side there is a strong partnership between Jose Enrique and Jonas Gutierrez. Enrique is great going forward and Gutierrez, who couldn't cross a road last year, is providing accurate deliveries from the by-line now. They have targets and options like Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll and Peter Lovenkrands up front, but I would like to see them get another right winger.

Danny Guthrie comes inside a lot when he plays there and Fabrice Pancrate is not really an out-and-out winger in my view. Hughton needs to strengthen that area - and I know he wants another striker and a centre-half. If they do get Danny Shittu and Jermaine Beckford, it will beef up a small, but impressive squad.

If West Brom want to get any joy out of Newcastle's back four on Monday, they need to get Jerome Thomas into the game. I can't see Enrique being beaten by Chris Brunt, but Thomas has the pace and trickery to unhinge Ryan Taylor on the other flank.

However, I can't see West Brom getting much out of this one. Despite the low attendance against Plymouth in the FA Cup I'm sure more than 40,000 Geordies will be there on Monday night to roar the home side on.

I can only see Newcastle winning and going further clear of the Baggies at the top of the table.

Beagrie makes sense  :thup:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

1-1, or a scrappy 1-0 win.

Got to be Ameobi and Lovenkrands up front, the two of them are the most likely to get goals, Ameobi's proved he's a top player at this level and Lovenkrands has a knack for being there  at the right time through his positional play.

Don't think we'll lose and I think it will be fairly tight through out

4-4-2 I suppose

Harper

Simpson        Saylor       Collo       Enrique

Raylor        Guthrie        Smith      Jonas

Amoebi        Lovenkrands

Hughton will play Nolan instead of Guthrie tho.

I'd love to see Guthrie in the middle

This game is there for the taking. WBA are looking a bit nervous, we are coming off a good win. I just hope we don't go too cautious and end up drawing a game instead of dealing a real blow to Albion's campaign.

Guest Heneage

Probably be something like                 

Harper

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Taylor    Nolan   Smith   Gutierrez

Ameobi Lovenkrands

2-1 Ameobi and Nolan. Fairly confident about this.

Lovenkrands is out of this one due to his father passing away.

Harper

Simpson    Taylor  Colo  Enrique

R Taylor    Guthrie  Smith  Jonas

Nolan  Ameobi

Their midfield will piss all over a Nolan and Smith combination in the midfield. Besides the point I know as Hughton won't realise that.

Probably be something like                 

Harper

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Taylor    Nolan   Smith   Gutierrez

Ameobi Lovenkrands

2-1 Ameobi and Nolan. Fairly confident about this.

Lovenkrands is out of this one due to his father passing away.

Oh yeah just spotted that damn.

Probably be something like what el diablos got then

Can't see Lovenkrands playing. He wasn't in the team earlier in the season when he had 'family problems' i.e. his dad being ill. With his dad dying I would imagine he'll be missing for a while which is a damn shame.

Ameobi with Nolan supporting or Ameobi and Carroll is what Hughton will probably go with.