The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guppy and Huckerby are two examples of players let go because of having no reserve team. And I also know for a fact Michael Carrick's dad wanted his son to join the Newcastle academy but was advised by his friend who was West Ham's North East scout at the time to go there instead as he'd have no chance of progressing here.

Guest Stephen927

It's been edited out now, but last night on his Wikipedia page under Personal Life, it told of how Chris spends half an hour deliberating over which microwave meal to purchase at Kingston Park Tesco.

Guppy and Huckerby are two examples of players let go because of having no reserve team. And I also know for a fact Michael Carrick's dad wanted his son to join the Newcastle academy but was advised by his friend who was West Ham's North East scout at the time to go there instead as he'd have no chance of progressing here.

Guppy was not upto the job at the time. We signed Hucks during 95, he trains with the 1st team, plays behind the doors friendlies (as the clubs does now) we loaned him out & then Cov put in rather big bid for him....s*** happens.

Your wrong about Carrick he was never going to join Newcastle, as the club had a rule at the time you either played for the Newcastle United pre-youth teams or your local boys club you could not do both, Vince (his dad & now vice-President of Wallsend Boys Club) has always been a supporter of Wallsend Boys club so that was always going to go one way . NUFC was never really option due to this. Carrick had trial with Arsenal but Weg did not take him as Peter Kirkley (now Wallsend Boys club President) was working for Arsenal at the time. Also worth remembering MC was not midfielder in his youth days. 

I think the mistake after the last promotion probably refers to the fact that we went into debt to buy ready-made top players in an attempt at quick success. We neglected the youth and scouting networks. Keegan himself referred to it as building a walls and roof of a house without any foundations. (or words to that effect) It's not sustainable long-term unless you have a benefactor who's a bottomless pit of money.

Adding to that, how long after promotion was it that we scrapped the reserves?

BOTH of these things were also BAD mistakes - you should never neglect the future of the club by scrapping or downgrading Juniors/Reserves.

KK should not have been allowed to do this and frankly, I would have supported any Chairman who had put his foot down over it...even if KK had walked.

For all the complaints about Dalglish, one of the first things he did was to re-start these things.

BOTH of these things were also BAD mistakes - you should never neglect the future of the club by scrapping or downgrading Juniors/Reserves.

KK should not have been allowed to do this and frankly, I would have supported any Chairman who had put his foot down over it...even if KK had walked.

Our junior teams were still playing. Reserve team football has been downgraded by EVERY manager in the country :lol:

Yep. Dalglish gets a lot of stick for some of his signings, but the likes of Pinas, Gudjohnsson, Robinson, Coppinger, Brady, Serrant, etc. were signed pretty much just to get a reserve squad back in order.

Gudjohnsson was signed for the youth team & was on trial at the club under KK in the month he left. Robinson & Copps were both signed for the youth team. Brady & Pinas aye. Serrant had been training with the England squad & then got picked for the England B team ffs!!! We didn sign him for the 2nd XI.

Generally a big club will have 1 or 2 young players in the main squad that came through the juniors - its worth it if it saves you a million a year I guess

reserves are only to give some players a sort of competitive run-out against different players

btw when was the last time a manager had an entire season here, incl. pre-season?

Sir Bobby? Till his sacking in 04....

Yes. Just checked. it says alot really.

btw when was the last time a manager had an entire season here, incl. pre-season?

Season isn't over so don't jinx it man.

Sorry, you're right  :-X

Can't not love him now. His celebrations, his dedication... he just looks genuinely pleased too.

Put aside whatever shortcomings he might have, he's got the job done. I'm certainly very grateful for that!

Yep. Dalglish gets a lot of stick for some of his signings, but the likes of Pinas, Gudjohnsson, Robinson, Coppinger, Brady, Serrant, etc. were signed pretty much just to get a reserve squad back in order.

Dalglish was fucking terrible man. Absolutely ruined a perfectly good team.