The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yup the whole Roeder episode comes to mind.

Roeder had managed before, in the Premier League, and had got the team relegated. He was a proven failure at the highest level. Hughton has taken charge of a few games as Caretaker boss but otherwise hasn't had a chance to prove himself.

David Moyes was a journeyman player who started at Preston as player, then player/coach, then Assistant Manager and then Manager. He never got a team promoted to the Premier League and was unproven at the top level. Now look at him.

Obviously there are no guarantees with an unproven manager, but nobody is suggesting there are.

There aren't many alternatives at the moment, and Hughton has earned a fair chance.

Look at how badly Stachan has done with Boro, it's not like walking back out of the Championship was guaranteed.

Guest malandro

Roeder had managed before, in the Premier League, and had got the team relegated. He was a proven failure at the highest level. Hughton has taken charge of a few games as Caretaker boss but otherwise hasn't had a chance to prove himself.

David Moyes was a journeyman player who started at Preston as player, then player/coach, then Assistant Manager and then Manager. He never got a team promoted to the Premier League and was unproven at the top level. Now look at him.

Moyes massively overachieved at Preston and that’s probably one of the things you’re looking for in a manager, somebody who can take poor players and build a good team, or take good players and build a great team. Hughton has taken the best squad in the league and turned them into the best team in the league. He couldn’t have done more but he hasn’t overachieved. He’ll get (and deserves) his opportunity to prove he can do more next season.

Moyes massively overachieved at Preston and that’s probably one of the things you’re looking for in a manager, somebody who can take poor players and build a good team, or take good players and build a great team. Hughton has taken the best squad in the league and turned them into the best team in the league. He couldn’t have done more but he hasn’t overachieved. He’ll get (and deserves) his opportunity to prove he can do more next season.

Hughton might have had the best squad but this squad at the start of the season had no, absolutely no team spirit. With Kinnear in charge we probably would be fighting for a play-off place now.

Hughton might have had the best squad but this squad at the start of the season had no, absolutely no team spirit. With Kinnear in charge we probably would be fighting for a play-off place now.

This just highlights the damage that Ashley has done to the club, fans using Kinnear as a barometer for measuring CH! Not having a go at you but it just highlights how far expectations have fallen! Just criminal!

People go on about relegation saving money for Ashley by getting rid of the high wage earners, I reckon he'll save much

more by the complete lack of ambition amongst the fans. He will not have to spend much now to keep the fans onside, long term he'll be quids in! 

Guest malandro

This just highlights the damage that Ashley has done to the club, fans using Kinnear as a barometer for measuring CH! Not having a go at you but it just highlights how far expectations have fallen! Just criminal!

People go on about relegation saving money for Ashley by getting rid of the high wage earners, I reckon he'll save much

more by the complete lack of ambition amongst the fans. He will not have to spend much now to keep the fans onside, long term he'll be quids in! 

lol

The goal posts have moved but I’m not sure expectations have been lowered that much. We’ll find out if/when we lose more games than we win next season. In the same way we’ll find out how much this season’s ’success’ had to with Hughton and the much lauded team spirit, and how much it was down to the having more money than everybody else.

If the players give 100% from the off then he will be given some leeway by the fans, even if the results are poor. His worst case scenario is that we dont pick up any points in the first 5 games. It all depends on the opposition of course but the whole team owes it to him to step up all their performances, even Enrique and even if it just means battling harder. His main challenges are working out who can step up the level in the squad and how to defend against teams breaking at pace with highly efficient strikers.

If Hughton had done at any other club what he did for us, he would be being touted as the next rising star and promising young manager. We would have posts saying that we should go for him, but others knocking them back saying that he wouldn't come here and was waiting for the Spurs role to come open when Saggy Face retires/gets jailed.

But because he is our manager, and because we are Newcastle, then anyone could have got Newcastle promoted with this squad, and he is not cut out for the job.  Bollocks.

My only concern is the "Should be given a chance" thought, as it sounds like he won;t get the same time in the PL that Hughes or Hitzfeld would get and they are looking to sack him if he looses away at Old Trafford. 

Because he looks relatively young, people tend to fall into the trap of assuming Hughton is a 'rising young manager' - this is not true, he is 51 and this is the FIRST proper management job he has had.

All the top managers(Clough, Shankly, Fergie, SBR, even our own Joe Harvey & KK)were making a success of the job long before that age ; KK was 40 when he took over at NUFC, Clough a mere 29 when he joined Hartlepool owing to the fact that his playing career ended through injury.

It is not cast in stone that the best managers are establishing themselves as such before the age of 50, but most of them do, so Hughton is at best a late arrival. That doesn't mean he will necessarily fail at the top level but it does make the chances of doing so higher because he has less stature with top players who will naturally want to be with the best clubs/managers. The top clubs always attract the top managers eventually so the two things go together - as does the ability to win trophies.

If Hughton does OK next season, he CAN make a decent career as a manager - if we struggle badly, I fear he won't be in the job by next April.

If Hughton had done at any other club what he did for us, he would be being touted as the next rising star and promising young manager. We would have posts saying that we should go for him, but others knocking them back saying that he wouldn't come here and was waiting for the Spurs role to come open when Saggy Face retires/gets jailed.

But because he is our manager, and because we are Newcastle, then anyone could have got Newcastle promoted with this squad, and he is not cut out for the job.  Bollocks.

My only concern is the "Should be given a chance" thought, as it sounds like he won;t get the same time in the PL that Hughes or Hitzfeld would get and they are looking to sack him if he looses away at Old Trafford. 

Because he looks relatively young, people tend to fall into the trap of assuming Hughton is a 'rising young manager' - this is not true, he is 51 and this is the FIRST proper management job he has had.

All the top managers(Clough, Shankly, Fergie, SBR, even our own Joe Harvey & KK)were making a success of the job long before that age ; KK was 40 when he took over at NUFC, Clough a mere 29 when he joined Hartlepool owing to the fact that his playing career ended through injury.

It is not cast in stone that the best managers are establishing themselves as such before the age of 50, but most of them do, so Hughton is at best a late arrival. That doesn't mean he will necessarily fail at the top level but it does make the chances of doing so higher because he has less stature with top players who will naturally want to be with the best clubs/managers. The top clubs always attract the top managers eventually so the two things go together - as does the ability to win trophies.

If Hughton does OK next season, he CAN make a decent career as a manager - if we struggle badly, I fear he won't be in the job by next April.

on the other hand its hardly as if hes a novice around football coaching, he has years of coaching experience and insight into the game behind him which is more than can be said for a lot of young and up coming managers which will stand him in good stead. And thanks to our detour through the championship he's had a full season to grow into the managers role, he may not show to the public eye that hes the most authoritative manager around but the players all seem to deeply respect him and hes kept things more or less quiet on any off field trouble (carroll-taylor incident apart and even then his refusal to answer questions and keeping things in house ended that story for the national papers quickly enough).

there is never a guarantee that any manager will succeed at a club (we know that better than most) but hes done the job required so far and his next test lies in the prem not on being a big name or very quotable (eg keane whos press conferences for a long while seemed to be on the latest goings on in the prem rather than ipswich) but hard work and earning it 

CH deserves a shot. He got us back up and that in itself is a massive achievement. Big name and so called experienced managers have not achieved that much and never quite got the team spirit thing going with the exception of Sir Bobby and Keegan but that was ages ago.

A stable club and a united squad will go a long way and this is what we have now. No one expects Newcastle to immediately start pushing for a European spot in our first season back so why all the pessimism about CH not being able to attract players. Do players really move because of managers? The really big superstars might see the manager as a deciding factor but these players are way out of our range now with MA around.

We will only be able to attract 2nd tier proven players or up and coming players with potential and age on their side and for these players, the attraction is the name of Newcastle United Football Club and not the manager. It may also be the attraction of playing in the Premiership itself. Looking around at some of the mid sized Premier League clubs, they have attracted many class players so why can't CH and Newcastle United F.C.?

We just need a great scouting system and some luck with transfers working out and then we might have a shot at a mid table position with perhaps a good Cup run and consolidate for the following season. Consolidation is not a bad word after all that has happened in recent seasons.

At the end of the day, I think there’s a moral dimension here. If we don’t give Hughton his chance, we’d be treating him badly.

It’s not purely a matter of principle, because one way of the other if you don’t behave well, it rebounds on you down the line. In recent years, our behaviour has been dubious (eg towards Sir Bob) and we’ve paid the price later.

At the end of the day, I think there’s a moral dimension here. If we don’t give Hughton his chance, we’d be treating him badly.

It’s not purely a matter of principle, because one way of the other if you don’t behave well, it rebounds on you down the line. In recent years, our behaviour has been dubious (eg towards Sir Bob) and we’ve paid the price later.

This is correct, but it won't last if we are bottom(or near) of the Prem in November.

Guest thenorthumbrian

He certainly deserves his chance but the amount of times i've thought "What the f*** is he doing?" or come away from a game thinking despite winning we'd been fortunate/s**** makes me think he'll really struggle next season. Though i'd struggle to come up with anyone i'd want that we could realistically get anyway.

Despite the mistakes you say he made he still won United the championship with games and points to spare.

Hughton has a life-size portrait of Sir Bobby in his office. And what a huge TV he has as well.  :lol: Easy to see why Hugthon's at his office 24/7.  :lol:

WITH a life-size portrait of Newcastle United legend Sir Bobby Robson adorning the wall of the manager's office at the club's training ground, Chris Hughton admits that the black-and-white knight has been something of a guardian angel this season.

One of Hughton's first tasks upon being handed the manager's role was to order a giant canvas of the former Magpie boss for his training-ground base.

And, speaking to nufcTV ahead of Saturday's visit of Robson's former club Ipswich Town, Hughton explained how the great man has played his part in United's title success.

"Once it was determined I would be taking the manager's role on a full-time basis I thought it would be fitting to have a picture of Sir Bobby in my office," he revealed.

Article continues>>

Pre-Order The Lord of the Rings: Conquest

"It was a great honour for me to become manager of this football club and when that happens certain people come to mind.

"One of them, of course, was Sir Bobby, and he would have used this same office.

"I spoke with Sir Bobby on a number of occasions and I knew how proud he was to manage this football club.

"It was right and fitting that the portrait is in my office because we all know what he meant to this football club and I think he would have been proud this season."

Robson passed away last summer at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer, and Hughton feels that the subsequent celebration of his life helped to unite a football club which, at the time, was going through a period of uncertainty.

"It (his death) united the football club and took the difficulties away from people's minds," said Chris.

"This great man and great ambassador for this football club had passed away and it put everything into perspective.

"It was right that we celebrated his life and it was a time that united everybody in football."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100423/sir-bobbys-been-our-guardian-angel_2240137_2033029

Hughton has a life-size portrait of Sir Bobby in his office. And what a huge TV he has as well.  :lol: Easy to see why Hugthon's at his office 24/7.  :lol:

WITH a life-size portrait of Newcastle United legend Sir Bobby Robson adorning the wall of the manager's office at the club's training ground, Chris Hughton admits that the black-and-white knight has been something of a guardian angel this season.

One of Hughton's first tasks upon being handed the manager's role was to order a giant canvas of the former Magpie boss for his training-ground base.

And, speaking to nufcTV ahead of Saturday's visit of Robson's former club Ipswich Town, Hughton explained how the great man has played his part in United's title success.

"Once it was determined I would be taking the manager's role on a full-time basis I thought it would be fitting to have a picture of Sir Bobby in my office," he revealed.

Article continues>>

Pre-Order The Lord of the Rings: Conquest

"It was a great honour for me to become manager of this football club and when that happens certain people come to mind.

"One of them, of course, was Sir Bobby, and he would have used this same office.

"I spoke with Sir Bobby on a number of occasions and I knew how proud he was to manage this football club.

"It was right and fitting that the portrait is in my office because we all know what he meant to this football club and I think he would have been proud this season."

Robson passed away last summer at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer, and Hughton feels that the subsequent celebration of his life helped to unite a football club which, at the time, was going through a period of uncertainty.

"It (his death) united the football club and took the difficulties away from people's minds," said Chris.

"This great man and great ambassador for this football club had passed away and it put everything into perspective.

"It was right that we celebrated his life and it was a time that united everybody in football."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100423/sir-bobbys-been-our-guardian-angel_2240137_2033029

i'd like to think that portrait will be there for years to come hopefully watching over the shoulders of the successful managers who'll sit there.

and i have a strange compulsion to pre order the lord of the rings : conquest.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/98647240.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F56CFB275500A6B96A330D49A2977A047A7F5049D0179130F6

That picture makes me want to cry with happiness  :smitten: