The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I really don't understand why anyone is even talking about replacing Hughton at this stage, it's absolute madness.

He's built a dressing room of players that are all pulling together to keep us up. We might not agree with all of his selections, but he's very limited by the pool of players he has to work with.

By all accounts, his signings have been pretty good and addressed some of our weaknesses.

It's criminal to be thinking of changing our manager at this point... do we want to go back to the circus of recent years?

I agree with you. I find this a bit embarrassing, considering Hughton's overall record since he's been in charge. If fans of another club were doing this, we'd be laughing at them and saying how weak and fickle they are.

The club has to hold its nerve through the difficult times. Unless Hughton has lost the support of the dressing room - and there's absolutely no indication of that - then the club should be fully behind him.

What about Alan Pardew.

Would he be an improvement on Hughton. Hughton will be gone after SAFC if he doesn't bring home a reasonable return over the next two games.

O'Neill would be nice but not a cat in hells ....

Ah yes, Alan Pardew...the insightful manager who dropped Mascherano and Tevez from his side because they were upsetting the team morale amongst the bunch of talentless cloggers which made up the West Ham side in those days. What a trade up that would be. 

I really don't understand why anyone is even talking about replacing Hughton at this stage, it's absolute madness. (One point from our last 3 home games is simply not good enough.)

He's built a dressing room of players that are all pulling together to keep us up. (They genuinely looked like they didn't give a flying fuck for 75 minutes v Wigan.) We might not agree with all of his selections, but he's very limited by the pool of players he has to work with. (James Perch will be his downfall)

By all accounts, his signings have been pretty good and addressed some of our weaknesses. (Perch has outdone any good that might have been done)

It's criminal to be thinking of changing our manager at this point... do we want to go back to the circus of recent years? (You mean like watching us bomb game after game at home the season we went down?)

He's a dead man walking in my expert view.

I really don't understand why anyone is even talking about replacing Hughton at this stage, it's absolute madness.

He's built a dressing room of players that are all pulling together to keep us up. We might not agree with all of his selections, but he's very limited by the pool of players he has to work with.

By all accounts, his signings have been pretty good and addressed some of our weaknesses.

It's criminal to be thinking of changing our manager at this point... do we want to go back to the circus of recent years?

I agree with you. I find this a bit embarrassing, considering Hughton's overall record since he's been in charge. If fans of another club were doing this, we'd be laughing at them and saying how weak and fickle they are.

The club has to hold its nerve through the difficult times. Unless Hughton has lost the support of the dressing room - and there's absolutely no indication of that - then the club should be fully behind him.

How far in the shit would you like us to be? Maybe bottom three with half a dozen games to go?

I really don't understand why anyone is even talking about replacing Hughton at this stage, it's absolute madness. (One point from our last 3 home games is simply not good enough.)

He's built a dressing room of players that are all pulling together to keep us up. (They genuinely looked like they didn't give a flying fuck for 75 minutes v Wigan.) We might not agree with all of his selections, but he's very limited by the pool of players he has to work with. (James Perch will be his downfall)

By all accounts, his signings have been pretty good and addressed some of our weaknesses. (Perch has outdone any good that might have been done)

It's criminal to be thinking of changing our manager at this point... do we want to go back to the circus of recent years? (You mean like watching us bomb game after game at home the season we went down?)

He's a dead man walking in my expert view.

Don't agree with any of those points in bold. I know one point from 3 games isn't good enough, but that's not the point. You can't possibly be saying we should judge him over 3 games?

The point about Perch is a bit weird, how can one bad signing be more important than a number of good ones?

And this isn't anything like the season we went down, to compare the two is ludicrous at this point. Against Wigan we looked poor, but I'm not convinced we looked like we didn't care. We certainly haven't for the rest of the games.

To be fair James Perch is a fucking disaster but better managers than Hughton have made shit signings in the past and lived to tell the tale.

Even old purple nose himself went through a stage of buying utter shite, the difference there is that he had alternative squad members he could turn to when he realised his new signings weren't performing.

I'm very much of the opinion that Hughton should have replaced Perch with R Taylor long before now. R Taylor is probably as defensively frail as Perch but he offers so much going forward that it would probably balance out. As it is, Hughton obviously doesn't see in R Taylor the same qualities that we do.

I've no doubt that when Simpson and Taylor are fully fit, Perch will take up his rightful place as a reserve team regular and we can all breathe a sign of relief. Until then it looks like we'll just have to endure his non-league standard performances.

Not signing a striker in the summer was also a huge mistake but we know Hughton was trying to do something on this front. Sadly it seems that his hands were tied with regards to transfer funds so the blame doesn't lie with him, but with our rotund owner and his bespectacled halfwit chum.

As far as i'm concerned, talk of sacking Hughton is hugely premature. He's doing a decent job with a limited squad and seems to be learning along the way, albeit slowly.

Hopefully he has noted his tactical mistakes against Stoke and ensured that a capitulation of that sort doesn't happen again this season.

IMO Hughton's potential downful could be his continued faith in Nolan as a second striker and his consistent reluctance to provide our front men with the service they need to score goals. For now though, we need to stick by him and hope he can address the obvious gaps in the squad come January.

Guest neesy111

Do 'we' have any say in this?

Well obviously not, but it would be a short forum if we only talked about things we can control.

The forum is very much split on this subject so how would it affect it? Just saying we cant control it and discussing it wont make it happen.

Fair enough, I slightly missed the point of your post. What I meant was that I'm very surprised to see people (on here and in the wider world/press) talking about replacements for Hughton as if it's something that might or should happen.

Its shocking. I've had a right go at Simon Bird and Mark Douglas about this, their little blogs will start a wave through the lazy press until its basically seen as fact that Hughton is under pressure.

Hughton's under pressure to get results, as all managers are.  If we come out after playing Wigan, West Ham and SAFC without a win then alarm bell's need to be ringing loudly.

Last season, West Brom and Blackpool were better footballing sides than us, and I did wonder whether they might find it easier to adjust to the Premiership. They've had to improve, but they've not had to change their style, whereas we've had to do both.

I think Hughton has made a good fist of things. We are a bit better at playing the ball on the deck, even though Ben Arfa's injury has been a real blow. However, the build up is often a bit slow, so it's still a work in progress.

But we have improved, and we do need to keep faith with the man who has brought us this far.

It's a massive 8 days for Hughton. If we fail to win any of the 3 games, I wouldn't be surprised if Fat Ash made a knee jerk reaction.

Last season, West Brom and Blackpool were better footballing sides than us, and I did wonder whether they might find it easier to adjust to the Premiership. They've had to improve, but they've not had to change their style, whereas we've had to do both.

I think Hughton has made a good fist of things. We are a bit better at playing the ball on the deck, even though Ben Arfa's injury has been a real blow. However, the build up is often a bit slow, so it's still a work in progress.

But we have improved, and we do need to keep faith with the man who has brought us this far.

Maybe Blackpool and West Brom have better managers than us?  Hughton chooses the style of football we play by the team he picks and the formation, he sends them out to play the way they do. 

Guest MrBrown

Maybe Blackpool and West Brom have better managers than us?  Hughton chooses the style of football we play by the team he picks and the formation, he sends them out to play the way they do. 

It's a very different challenge, though, managing Newcastle. No one has unrealistic expectations for West Brom or Blackpool.