The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Hughton has a set of balls he should have the players in this morning to analyse where it went wrong yesterday.

One of Hughton's qualities is that he doesn't over-react. Win or lose, the slate is wiped clean and he gets the players focused on the next match. Since he's been in charge, the team has always been able to shake off the odd dip in form.

Our two most important and least replacable players (ie Barton and Tiote) were out yesterday.

His biggest weakness is that he doesn't react at all.

Often in the dressing room and training ground?

Or should he do all his work through the media?

Matches too.  His inability to see something is wrong & attempt to change it is baffling.

Can't we have a bit more faith in the man and his methods? He's not exactly done badly so far. In just over a year, he's taken a train wreck of a club to mid-table in the Premiership. With only a modest outlay, performances and morale have improved beyond recognition.

As has been said for a long time, January will be a good time to judge any of that, once we've had some difficult home games to go with the easy ones we've wasted so far.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he proves he's the man to take us forward, but he hasn't done that as yet.  We could do without the upheaval of a new manager, but that's not a reason to stick with the one we've got if those in charge feel he's not up to it.

:kasper: Surely he has taken us as forward as we could possibly expect considering where the club was at and where it still is in many ways regarding the players left over from previously and the lack of cash etc? I didn't expect to win the championship with that state of a team and also didn't expect to be doing as well as we are this season not to mention some of the signings he has made on a shoestring, the general morale of the squad and the way certain players have come on leaps and bounds under him.

Given the players we kept, we should have been getting promoted

Now we're in the Premier League again, we need someone to keep us there and build on it.  If he proves to be that man then good. As I've already said (and you've obviously chosen to ignore) January will be a decent time to tell how it's going. :thup:

Lots of shoulds in football.

Absolutely.  If we hadn't do you still think Hughton would be in a job?

That was the point. 

Guest firetotheworks

If Hughton has a set of balls he should have the players in this morning to analyse where it went wrong yesterday.

One of Hughton's qualities is that he doesn't over-react. Win or lose, the slate is wiped clean and he gets the players focused on the next match. Since he's been in charge, the team has always been able to shake off the odd dip in form.

Our two most important and least replacable players (ie Barton and Tiote) were out yesterday.

Matches too.  His inability to see something is wrong & attempt to change it is baffling.

Can't we have a bit more faith in the man and his methods? He's not exactly done badly so far. In just over a year, he's taken a train wreck of a club to mid-table in the Premiership. With only a modest outlay, performances and morale have improved beyond recognition.

As has been said for a long time, January will be a good time to judge any of that, once we've had some difficult home games to go with the easy ones we've wasted so far.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he proves he's the man to take us forward, but he hasn't done that as yet.  We could do without the upheaval of a new manager, but that's not a reason to stick with the one we've got if those in charge feel he's not up to it.

:kasper: Surely he has taken us as forward as we could possibly expect considering where the club was at and where it still is in many ways regarding the players left over from previously and the lack of cash etc? I didn't expect to win the championship with that state of a team and also didn't expect to be doing as well as we are this season not to mention some of the signings he has made on a shoestring, the general morale of the squad and the way certain players have come on leaps and bounds under him.

Given the players we kept, we should have been getting promoted. 

Now we're in the Premier League again, we need someone to keep us there and build on it.  If he proves to be that man then good. As I've already said (and you've obviously chosen to ignore) January will be a decent time to tell how it's going. :thup:

As someone that I imagine has followed football for a long time, I'm surprised that you'd spin that old rubbish. With the players Real Madrid have had over the years, they should be winning the Champions League pretty much every season, but didn't. Such a rubbish argument.

Not really.  Our pool of players were far better than any other set in that division.

It would have been totally unacceptable not to get promoted.

...and yet entirely realistic and imaginable. A quick look at Bayern Munich this season will show you that having the right pool of players means not as much as it does in a game of topp trumps.

As someone that I imagine has followed football for a long time, I'm surprised that you'd spin that old rubbish. With the players Real Madrid have had over the years, they should be winning the Champions League pretty much every season, but didn't. Such a rubbish argument.

Not really.  Our pool of players were far better than any other set in that division.

By that logic Chelsea and Manchester United should probably win around 36 games a season given their pool of players is far better than about 18 teams in the league.

...and yet entirely realistic and imaginable. A quick look at Bayern Munich this season will show you that having the right pool of players means not as much as it does in a game of topp trumps.

Yep& that's why the decisions & the right manager are so important.

Disagree about not getting promoted being 'entirely realistic' in terms of expectations mind. :thup:

By that logic Chelsea and Manchester United should probably win around 36 games a season given their pool of players is far better than about 18 teams in the league.

Not really.  We retained a lot of the players we wanted to from a squad which if managed properly in the relegation season shouldn't have got relegated in the first place.  How many other squads in that division had a £6m left back, £10m centre half, and a collection of £5m midfielders to choose from?

Some fantastic rewriting of history regarding us getting out of an absolutely shocking division last year going on here.

Regardless of January he has taken us miles forward imo. It will be a good time to judge how we are doing this season though so I agree with that. Given the players we kept we should be getting promoted is the kind of thing a chairman would expect however we all know that our squad was in a shocking state. The way he turned it round must have been down to very good management as I can't imagine so many of the players just decided to up their game as much as we have seen.

Guest firetotheworks

Disagree about not getting promoted being 'entirely realistic' in terms of expectations mind. :thup:

Well my point is more that anything that could have happened last season was realistic, because we didn't have a clue how things would be in the CCC. So you don't believe that Hughton was the right manager with the right decisions last season?

Well my point is more that anything that could have happened last season was realistic, because we didn't have a clue how things would be in the CCC. So you don't believe that Hughton was the right manager with the right decisions last season?

I had my doubts about him up until he ditched the cautious approach around February.  He was shocking around Christmas, both home and away.  We finished the season far better.  That, however, was at a far easier level. 

This division where he should be judged, and it'll be clearer in January (for about the 4th or 5th time) because he'll have had chance to repair the damage from the poor home form to compliment the mixed away performances.

Big part of this as well may be that HE NEEDS A BLOODY NUMBER 2!

It's frustrating how long this is taking, imagine what CH must be thinking. Ashley needs to pull his fecking finger out and spend some cash.

I wonder whether someone like Wilkins would accept a short term appointment.

Would a smarmy wannabe cockney wanker be prepared to move up here for 6 months for a job?

Jon?

:lol: wannabe cockney couldn't be any further from the truth :(