The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You've got to like the man...and has definitely improved the side. Don't think anyones saying he completely inept though either but taking Tiote off and leaving an anonymous Nolan on. Tis' asking to be questioned. Pulis' changes definitely helped but its double jeopardy with that sort of thinking

Taking off a defensive player and leaving on an offensive player when we need a goal. Shocking that like.

Tiote's not a defensive player from what I've seen so far though, he wins it but also drives us forward (far more than the insipid Barton who is trying to perfect the Nicky Butt aimless chip into the corner).

Tiote was absolutely bossing the central midfield imo.

Barton was better than Tiote today. Barton's passing was nearly perfect for the whole game.

u watching another game?  he had a few great hollywood passes but his crossing corners and freekicks was horrible fucking horrible.  his second half perfomance was piss poor, and this is coming from a barton fan.

I've said that before, they took him out of the game in the 2nd half near perfectly because he was running the show in the 1st half.

I can't remember doing Tiote anything what was really countable today.

CH had some tough choices today in a very tight match in which  although we dominated posession, we very rarely gave Stoke serious problems even in the first half ( i think only 2 shots on target was the stat iirc). There was something missing from the players (perhaps the ususal suspects) in the second half and Nolan alwaus looks knackered to me after 60 odd mins. Chris has got a lot right over the last couple of weeks and I don't really want to have rip into him at all. But...I would question taking off Hba who kept their whole right side pinned back in fear and not taking Nolan off for Shola. Bringing Shola on for Tiote was a gamble cause he was our only real protection against a big phyiscal side. Once he came off they cruised throught the middle at will. Anywat the team is still developing and there will be close games where we win.

He had his worst day on the day since he have manager tottaly fkd bye Pullis..... Barton should have come off instead of Tiote.. that way at least we should have draw the game. if he has to play Nolan it has to be in place of Barton...... jonas and Ben arfa needs to start at least for the home games.....

Barton was shite. How many times did he get into the box to support the strikers? If he can't do it in a home match when we have 64% of the possession when's he going to do it? Spent far too much time casually strolling around without any real intent.

Striker. It is Nolan's job to support our striker, not Barton's.

Barton was shite. How many times did he get into the box to support the strikers? If he can't do it in a home match when we have 64% of the possession when's he going to do it? Spent far too much time casually strolling around without any real intent.

Striker. It is Nolan's job to support our striker, not Barton's.

It's both tbh.

To support him with balls, not necessarily to be playing off of him.

Sorry but your attacking central midfielder should be arriving in the box to get on the end of stuff, unless you think only two players in the squad should be responsible for scoring goals.

Sorry but your attacking central midfielder should be arriving in the box to get on the end of stuff, unless you think only two players in the squad should be responsible for scoring goals.

Exactly. In my book both wide players should be looking to get goals as well so Routledge was also disappointing today. We had the ball in some fantastic areas today but the lack of players getting in the box beyond the static Nolan meant Stoke easily absorbed the threat.

On a positive note I'm reasonably convinced Hughton is aware of himself being a complete rookie at this management lark and therefore should be willing and able to learn from his mistakes. That's preferable to know-all cunts who persist with the same thing week after week.

Our attacking midfielders are HBA and Routledge.

No, they're the wingers, playing wide it's not their job to be arriving in the box to get on the end of stuff. Does Paul Scholes not arrive in the box and score goals? Frank Lampard?

Take a look at Kevin Nolan's Championship season in the centre behind Carroll and Lovenkrands even.

Exactly. In my book both wide players should be looking to get goals as well so Routledge was also disappointing today. We had the ball in some fantastic areas today but the lack of players getting in the box beyond the static Nolan meant Stoke easily absorbed the threat.

Correct not enough players hitting the box in key moments. Stoke like Blackpool just held their shape and absorbed and then started to find the condidence to come out. You need to try and hurt these sides early AND keep the pressure on. These are games we simply must win at home.

Hughton was let down by the team today - it wasn't his tactics or subs which he got right with the players we have.

Ben Arfa wasn't as good today as he was vs Everton ... neither was Tiote.

When we were still drawing 1-1 he went for it rather than try to hold onto a draw. Statistically this was the right call. We played better than Stoke overall and in 2 out of three games we would have won this at 1-1 with the subs he made pushing forward. If you can win 2 of these types of games and lose one you're still doing the right thing. Toward the end he was even telling Colocini to run up playing a 3-4-3.

Hughton let the fans down today with his baffling substitutions, Ben Arfa may not have been as good as he was against Everton although in his defence, most of his passes found a player in black & white.  Tiote looked to be our best midfielder from where I was sitting. 

Dunno if it's knee-jerking. He's done plenty of good things which he is rightly praised for, but today he got it wrong and hence, people are annoyed.

It's just easier to say 'knee-jerk' at everything than actually make any relevant points.

Dunno if it's knee-jerking. He's done plenty of good things which he is rightly praised for, but today he got it wrong and hence, people are annoyed.

It's just easier to say 'knee-jerk' at everything than actually make any relevant points.

You'd know.

You'd know.

Sorry, never taken any notice of anything you've said. You are?

You'd know.

Verlaine being a dullard again.

You'd know.

Pain in the backside 'musician' who fancied his own arse a bit?

Guest guinness_fiend

The over reactions in this thread are hilarious. The substitutions didn't cost us the game at all.

Ben Arfa was poor today / marked out of the game, and Jonas was much much more productive than him. I would go as far as saying that was a good substitution.

The Tiote one is debatable, but I know Nolan is more likely to grab a goal than him (and nearly did at the end).

The only worrying point from today was how lacklustre we were at the start of the second half. The subs were fine IMO.

This.  Thank god that someone on here has some common sense.

You'd know.

Pain in the backside 'musician' who fancied his own arse a bit?

Bingo.