The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Defeats against Wigan and the Mackems will put the pressure on big-time...if it hadn't been for the fact that Ashley is unwilling to spend decent money, the results at home against Blackpool and Stoke would themselves have place any manager under some pressure.

Only Ashley's knowledge that he will have great difficulty in getting a decent replacement will keep Hughton in a job beyond November if we lose the next 2 home games.

how much of our bad results are Hughton's fault anyway

There isn't and shouldn't be any pressure on Hughton. He's doing the right things, the team is playing well and the players are determined. It's been years since we had that so lets not f*** it up eh

The players can be as determined as they like, but if they can't win home games they are not good enough - determination is great but without the necessary skills it is useless.

Cream always rises to the top....

Yeah, but that would be a criticism of the players... Hughton can only work the players he has.

And it seems he is relatively good at getting better ones.

Serious question, who do we think we could get in who'd be an improvement at the moment? Also, maybe more importantly, who do we think we WOULD get in bearing in mind Llambias and Ashley manage us? All things considered, I think I'm inclined to stick...

Think there's something to be said for junkhead's attitude. Not saying this is definitely the case, only that it's possible, but it might even be best that we stick with Hughton if we get relegated - if he can/we let him retain his authority, keep running the club the way he wants to etc. with a view to ultimately being better off, as I think he could get us promoted again if we did go down yet again, while still improving things behind the scenes even though things are bad on the pitch. Again, the reason I say this is that I'm scared of who else might come in after him bearing in mind who'd get to decide - things could end up being a lot worse.

On a semi-related note, I think too many young, potentially decent managers are booted so soon as a relegation takes place. Stupid the way someone can unexpectedly get a club promoted twice in two seasons and then as soon as they go down from the Premiership they become s***. It's not as though the club's often end up returning thanks to such a decision, after all...

Not on the wind up but how do you know things are improving behind the scenes? Any of our Premier League teams before we got relegated would have walked the Championship last year and it would have looked like they too had great team spirit and everything was great behind the scenes.

Is it not just the case that we have a lot of very average players who know they'll never be any where better than Newcastle, indeed they probably count their lucky stars that they are playing for the club. Also a sign of how far our standards have dropped that their is not discontent in the camp after two miserable home defeats.

good team spirit is automaticaly good when you are winning like we were last year

I'm a hypocrite to say this but maybe our standards are just realistic now.

I don't see how accepting two defeats at home to relegation candidates can be labelled as being realistic unless you expect to go straight back down.

Guest GAMMELL

It's true, like. Good team spirit is easy to achieve when you're battering Plymouth every other week. This is the litmus test; losing games in which certain players are far more to blame than others. That's before you even consider what the manager has to input.

Thought I was science class reading this pap  O0

I'm sure no-one expected a win at goodison or at home to villa either. Bottom line is that we are in a realistic position after unrealistic scores and whether we beat villa or blackpool is irrelevant as long as we don't finish bottom 3. I know where you're coming from though.

I'm sure no-one expected a win at goodison or at home to villa either. Bottom line is that we are in a realistic position after unrealistic scores and whether we beat villa or blackpool is irrelevant as long as we don't finish bottom 3. I know where you're coming from though.

Beating Blackpool rather than Villa would have given us a better chance of avoiding the bottom three though.

Beating Blackpool rather than Villa would have given us a better chance of avoiding the bottom three though.

I agree, but it's all in theory, not necessarily fact. No-one had us to be relegated when we were, but we were...

Guest malandro

It’s far too early to tell how this season is going to pan out, but averaging one point a game at home will almost certainly see us relegated.

Guest malandro

Yes they did.

We were in trouble the moment JFK was appointed.

by far ashleys biggest mistake.

And appointing Hughton was probably his best, even if it was down to pure luck.

If we don’t win tomorrow Hughton will be facing his first mini crisis and we’ll learn a lot more about how good he is. If we win we’ll have to wait a bit longer to find out. However, unless results become horrendous we’re better off with Hughton than anyone else who would take the job with Ashley in charge.

Yes they did.

We were in trouble the moment JFK was appointed.

by far ashleys biggest mistake.

And appointing Hughton was probably his best, even if it was down to pure luck.

If we don’t win tomorrow Hughton will be facing his first mini crisis and we’ll learn a lot more about how good he is. If we win we’ll have to wait a bit longer to find out. However, unless results become horrendous we’re better off with Hughton than anyone else who would take the job with Ashley in charge.

aye, others may take the job but no-one i think would be an improvement.

Agreed, he might have his failings being an "infant" manager and if he doesn't look like he will do the job I have no problem with him being replaced but I have real concens about who.

I wouldn't be opposed to MON although we may aswell sell Jose as soon as he was appointed.

Agreed, he might have his failings being an "infant" manager and if he doesn't look like he will do the job I have no problem with him being replaced but I have real concens about who.

I wouldn't be opposed to MON although we may aswell sell Jose as soon as he was appointed.

He doesn't need replacing, he just needs to learn from his mistakes.

There isn't and shouldn't be any pressure on Hughton. He's doing the right things, the team is playing well and the players are determined. It's been years since we had that so lets not f*** it up eh

The players can be as determined as they like, but if they can't win home games they are not good enough - determination is great but without the necessary skills it is useless.

Cream always rises to the top....

Yeah, but that would be a criticism of the players... Hughton can only work the players he has.

And it seems he is relatively good at getting better ones.

Serious question, who do we think we could get in who'd be an improvement at the moment? Also, maybe more importantly, who do we think we WOULD get in bearing in mind Llambias and Ashley manage us? All things considered, I think I'm inclined to stick...

Think there's something to be said for junkhead's attitude. Not saying this is definitely the case, only that it's possible, but it might even be best that we stick with Hughton if we get relegated - if he can/we let him retain his authority, keep running the club the way he wants to etc. with a view to ultimately being better off, as I think he could get us promoted again if we did go down yet again, while still improving things behind the scenes even though things are bad on the pitch. Again, the reason I say this is that I'm scared of who else might come in after him bearing in mind who'd get to decide - things could end up being a lot worse.

On a semi-related note, I think too many young, potentially decent managers are booted so soon as a relegation takes place. Stupid the way someone can unexpectedly get a club promoted twice in two seasons and then as soon as they go down from the Premiership they become s***. It's not as though the club's often end up returning thanks to such a decision, after all...

Not on the wind up but how do you know things are improving behind the scenes? Any of our Premier League teams before we got relegated would have walked the Championship last year and it would have looked like they too had great team spirit and everything was great behind the scenes.

Is it not just the case that we have a lot of very average players who know they'll never be any where better than Newcastle, indeed they probably count their lucky stars that they are playing for the club. Also a sign of how far our standards have dropped that their is not discontent in the camp after two miserable home defeats.

I don't just mean the attitude within the squad, and I accept stuff about hard times being when things come to the fore. But by any standards we can judge by, things seem to be a lot better than they have been for a long time. I'm talking about scouting, player development (we've seen players IMPROVE/DEVELOP in the last 18 months, not stay the same or get worse, which hasn't been the case since Robson if not earlier - also fielding decent looking kids in the League Cup etc.), yes morale, but also discipline - even when things were good, or at least good by our standards, we still managed to fit a few gang rape headlines in amidst the success. Important point, and again something demonstrable that I think Hughton can take credit for - I don't just mean discipline in terms of players not hitting each other (:whistle:) but the way he/we managed to shut down the story, prevent leaks, and have it essentially forgotten about within a few days. His interviews make Alan Shearer look like Graham Norton, and that's a talent we've needed and probably will need for a while to come... There's other stuff I could mention, but surely you can see the gist of my point? Stability mixed with some talent - the idea that we can relax and have patience because in every transfer window gone by he appears to have shown he agrees with us about the weaknesses of the team and seems to have good ideas about who we could get to fix them. If he keeps managing to replace Smiths with Tiotes, you'd like to think in another couple of years he'll get his substitutions right...

Another point - can be argued that thing's only looked successful and easy last year because of his work behind the scenes... We were staring at some deep dark shit last year. And who knows what ugly stuff might have crept up during the season but never did because of things we never found out about. Stopping stuff before it starts, making it look like the club and he have been on easy street - again, a hell of a talent which he might just have. Time will tell.

This - and that's the point...

I'm a hypocrite to say this but maybe our standards are just realistic now.

I don't see how accepting two defeats at home to relegation candidates can be labelled as being realistic unless you expect to go straight back down.

Exactly --- what is the game all about...being 'realistic' about defeats at home to poor teams ?