The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hi all, hav'nt visited for a while, last season panned out pretty much as I predicted.

Anyway, obviously the Hughton rumours are doing the rounds, seems you think there is not much in them, general feeling on the West Brom forum is you should stick with what you have and get some stability into the club.

Bit strange an Everton fan talking to a WBA fan on a Newcastle board, but (although everyone else won't like it), got to say how well you're doing so far, Di Matteo looks like he's got you playing well and working hard. Hawthorns is a much harder place to go to, though I guess this is really for PM. :lol:

Anyway, don't think anyone seriously thinks Hughton's job is under threat. Just the media trying to squeeze a story out of nowt.

Hi all, hav'nt visited for a while, last season panned out pretty much as I predicted.

Anyway, obviously the Hughton rumours are doing the rounds, seems you think there is not much in them, general feeling on the West Brom forum is you should stick with what you have and get some stability into the club.

Thanks for that.  :thup:

Bit strange an Everton fan talking to a WBA fan on a Newcastle board, but (although everyone else won't like it), got to say how well you're doing so far, Di Matteo looks like he's got you playing well and working hard. Hawthorns is a much harder place to go to, though I guess this is really for PM. :lol:

Anyway, don't think anyone seriously thinks Hughton's job is under threat. Just the media trying to squeeze a story out of nowt.

got to agree, last time up they played ok but had no cutting edge. this time they carry more of a threat. dog eat cat though, hope they finish below us and go down if need be.

The statement backs up what you say though Parky rather than go against it. They've said they won't sack him, they've said they'll start talks after the New Year, where we'll have a better idea of if we're going to do well or not, I reckon the statement was needed because silence would have been deafening had the press continued speculating as they are and we'd said nothing to deny it.

What was really needed was a private briefing to the effect of 'stop being bloody stupid, of course we're not going to sack him'. Such statements are far more effective as more can be said off the record and journalists believe them more than stilted missives like this. They're done all the time at other clubs and the Board knows it seeing as Llambias has regularly enjoyed being an 'inside source' in the past. It clearly hasn't happened, though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8097948/Newcastles-rumour-mill-threatened-to-thwart-Chris-Hughtons-quiet-revolution.html

Those external forces, completely beyond their control, would have baffled and annoyed club owner Ashley and managing director Llambias due to their destabilising effect, but this is par for the course on Tyneside.

Ashley might not have been impressed, but he will be pleased there was no evidence of Hughton showing the strain when he spoke to reporters ahead of Sunday’s visit of arch-rivals Sunderland.

Things reached fever pitch this week when the club’s resolve not to be dragged into talking publicly about Hughton’s future, for fear of further fuelling rumours, was finally broken following a frenzy of betting over their manager.

It prompted a show of support for Hughton, whose current contract – estimated to be worth a relatively paltry £400,000 a year – expires at the end of the season and a promise that talks would start over a new deal at the turn of the year.

That's more like it.

The feeling on here is that West Brom fans should learn some facts before they buy into bullshit media rumours.

The feeling on here is that West Brom fans should learn some facts before they buy into bullshit media rumours.

they havent by the looks of it, just commented on the rumours.

Its very hard when you are distant from it, but having read some of the posts on here, it seems you think its a load of tosh. Did you believe the rumours about Steven Gerrard by the way?

Its very hard when you are distant from it, but having read some of the posts on here, it seems you think its a load of tosh. Did you believe the rumours about Steven Gerrard by the way?

Fair point. It's been a very frustrating week though seeing these rumours run and run despite our boards denials and no fans calling for his head. Fact is we're 9th having spent next to nothing because we have the second coming of Scrooge as an owner which has been great going.

Fair point. It's been a very frustrating week though seeing these rumours run and run despite our boards denials and no fans calling for his head.

I have given your opinion on West Brom.com, what more can I do, good luck against Sunderland, I won't get to your place this year and have some of those luvly fish and chips at Cullercoats unfortunately.

Hughton has impressed me this season, obviously he has got some things wrong but with experience he'll only improve imo. I'd stick with him for the long haul yet.

Was quite surprised with the recent rumours really!