The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Given our squad, given the manager, given where we are as a club right now, our position in the table could be considered punching slightly above our weight. I personally am very happy with our points tally, position in the table and our season thus far. Sure we could have done better in some of our home games but likewise we could have done worse in some of our away games. As things stand we are on course to achieve survival which is all I am concerned with, anything else would be a bonus. I believe Hughton is doing an amazing job because I could list 5 of our players who are championship players at best. Looking at our squad and tactics we are better suited to away games than home games and until we change personal I can't see our home form being anything other than what it currently is, patchy. Anyone criticising Hughton, however, is a moron, the man has done magnificently well in achieving promotion and thus far a mid-table PL outfit.

in a way i'd be happier had we beat blackpool, wigan etc and lost at arsenal and everton as being a newcastle fan i'm more likely to think that our good away form is very temporary and that the poor home performances are where we are actually at. sorry but it's years of supporting this club that has conditioned me this way.

Given our squad, given the manager, given where we are as a club right now, our position in the table could be considered punching slightly above our weight. I personally am very happy with our points tally, position in the table and our season thus far. Sure we could have done better in some of our home games but likewise we could have done worse in some of our away games. As things stand we are on course to achieve survival which is all I am concerned with, anything else would be a bonus. I believe Hughton is doing an amazing job because I could list 5 of our players who are championship players at best. Looking at our squad and tactics we are better suited to away games than home games and until we change personal I can't see our home form being anything other than what it currently is, patchy. Anyone criticising Hughton, however, is a moron, the man has done magnificently well in achieving promotion and thus far a mid-table PL outfit.

Nah. We should get rid. We're not top of the table man, how can he justify his position?

Nah. We should get rid. We're not top of the table man, how can he justify his position?

A parody of yourself?

O0

A parody of yourself?

O0

A parody of the parody of people parodying me :thup:

18 points from 13 games is about what I expected. I thought we'd need to make hay in the fixtures before Xmas and we've done reasonably well. For every Arsenal or Everton there's been a Blackburn or a Blackpool - it's sort of cancelled itself out. Problem is that we've only won 2 out of 7 at home and whilst the results overall have been canny the results in front of the home crowd (arguably the people who matter most) have been frustrating. You're only as good as your last game and as the fixtures suddenly start to get little harder, the league tightens up and other teams continue to pick up unexpected wins we could well drop down the league and into trouble.

It won't take much for this 'pressure' to return. Hughton's done reasonably well but handing him a long-term contract is a big decision and if I were Ashley I'd be waiting a bit to see how things pan out. 

Working on it.

In all seriousness though, I don't know if anybody has a home record worse than ours but a lot of teams have had shock results at home around the league.

This is of course ignoring the fact that us losing to Stoke or Blackburn and drawing with Wigan and Fulham don't even qualify as "shock results"

Thanks HTT I am dealing with lots of moron here

10 of the 20 Premier League sides have won 2 or fewer home games. 9 have lost at least 2.

To be fair, we're not the only ones dropping points at home to sides we "should" beat.

It's a crazy season.

See what's missing?

Whilst they punched above their weight last year, getting a point off Fulham isn't a bad result. It was just exasapated by the previous home disappointments.

aye, in reflection on the past week i thought we'd have beaten blackburn and drawn with fulham. blackburn really are our bogey team these days like.

maybe the players were tired from the arsenal match, or maybe they don't dislike allardyce as much as some of the fans to so as to be as fired up as they were for the derby. we did play a lot better against fulham, just a little toothless, which isn't really surprising relying on carroll, a really rusty lovenkrands and a very inexperienced ranger

in a way i'd be happier had we beat blackpool, wigan etc and lost at arsenal and everton as being a newcastle fan i'm more likely to think that our good away form is very temporary and that the poor home performances are where we are actually at. sorry but it's years of supporting this club that has conditioned me this way.

I would rather be winning the matches against Blackpool, Wigan etc as we are giving 3 points to our relegation rivals.  Although beating Arsenal was great, I'd rather give them 3 points and have taken 3 off a lower half team.

I would rather be winning the matches against Blackpool, Wigan etc as we are giving 3 points to our relegation rivals.  Although beating Arsenal was great, I'd rather give them 3 points and have taken 3 off a lower half team.

:sadnod:

I've got no concerns about CH at the minute, the signings he's brought in have fitted in well and performed & we've been unlucky with Ben Arfa. He's done enough last season and so far this season to have earned the time to do the job, i've no doubts that another summer transfer window will bring in another few canny players like Arfa and  :tiote:

Think we're headed for a nice solid mid table finish to our first season back at the top with plenty of room to build upon next season.