The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Chris is doing a fantastic job. It was never going to be easy for us coming back into the Premier League. We lost most of our "star" players when we went down and had to rely on the likes of Ameobi who no one rated and Carroll who is still a young player. If anyone had looked at our starting 11 now 2 years ago, they would have had us finishing 20th with the lowest points in Premier League history. Yet we stormed our way through the Championship and to 8th place in the Premier League. You only have to look in the Bolton thread to see the state of our squad. 4 players out from when we beat Sunderland, and we are relying on the likes of Ranger up front on his own.

I think Chris and the team are still trying to find their way in this league, we are going into games not knowing what to expect. We have had a few fantastic away wins and absolutely destroyed the likes of Sunderland and Villa at home, which is by no means easy to do against anyone in the Premier League. This proves that there is quality there both on and off the field. I think it will just take a while for everything to click, and of course we need more players. I have no doubt we will stay up this season, absolutely none at all.

Right now we are dropping points at home and picking them up elseware, this is something I am more than happy with if it ultimately means we stay up. I mean we have roughly half the points we need having played just a third of the games. Im sure Hughton knows about our home form more than anyone and I trust him and the team to sort it out.

Beggars can't be choosers, and as beggars is what Mike Ashley has turned this club into, I'll take the points regardless of where they come from thanks.

Why is this debate going on in the Hughton thread anyway? The difference in home and away results or results against perceived good and perceived poor opposition isn't down to any significantly different tactics or level of performance from us, it's down to the tactics of our opponents and how able we are to combat them. For the most part our performances (if not results) have been pretty decent and consistent, and a damn site better than I and I should imagine most of you thought they would be. However when teams set out to defend against us and do a decent job of it, we simply don't have the players to break them down. That's not Hughton's fault, and there's not much tactically he can do about it.

I'm not saying Hughton's a great manager, because until he's managed for a lot longer than he has now, you don't know whether he's a one trick pony who has got lucky with a certain way of working with a certain group of players who will eventually get found out. The fact that he has a limited squad in a lot of ways makes his job a lot easier - less choice means that most of his selection decisions are made for him and tbh there's not much he can do wrong (although there are many, many managers out there who would easily fuck it up). We can't even be sure it wasn't Calderwood or isn't Nolan who is actually the main person behind getting the players to perform as a team. However for now IMO Hughton's got the team playing near as well as any manager could get them to, and almost certainly better than anyone Ashley would get in to replace him, so the debate about why we unbelievably can't always beat teams who were better than us 2 years ago before we shed over £15m net worth of players has no place in this thread.

Despite our past, we are a new Premier League team. We deteriorated over a period of years, steadily getting worse and worse until we got relegated.

We are now back in the Premier League having spent less than £5m in the summer and we are half way to where we need to be in terms of points.

How anyone can say Hughton is doing anything less than a brilliant job is beyond me. All the talk of expectations being reset and Newcastle fans having a new realistic outlook on things seems to have gone out of the window. Forget who we have played, who we've beaten and who we have lost against. The only thing that matters is our points tally because there is only one goal this season - to stay up - and we're almost half way there already. 

We are a newly promoted Premier League team. The only result you can look at and say we shouldn't have lost is Blackpool at home because we proved last year that we are better than they are.  Stoke, Blackburn and Wigan are established Premier League teams who by rights should beat us, yet we got a draw against Wigan so that has to be viewed as a success.

To suggest we SHOULD be winning our home games in our first season back in the Premier League is both arrogant and niaive.

Expectations are raised with 6-0 home wins and great away wins, beat Arsenal away then lose to Blackburn its hard to take and understand.

8th mid November is superb and we all would have taken that before the start of the season, its just becoming very frustrating when you see where we could have been in the table had we won the homes fans think we should have won.

I personally still feel very positive about what we can do this season and have full 100% faith in Hughton.

We had been on a downward spiral since the day Sir Bobby was sacked, Hughton has hit the brakes on that and has us heading in the right direction again and doing it under a shocking owner and chairman.

Guest Heneage

Bi polar bears grrrr.

It's utterly pointless judging him until January when the league has potentially settled. It's simple enough if he keeps us up give him a new deal.

If he doesn't apologize for today's efforts he can stick his contract up his arse.

Players have more reason to apologise.

Barton shunting Pedersen with his fist of fury.

Tiote competing with Perch to get the best game:yellow card ratio.

Nolan thick handball.

Defenders not clearing the ball (you think a great big crack on the woodwork would have alerted them to danger?)

Colo elbow.

Today was more than anything a show of just how weak our squad is rather than having anything to do with Hughton. That 11 would be lucky to win a game all year at this level. Just goes to show how badly we need new signings in January.

Beggars can't be choosers, and as beggars is what Mike Ashley has turned this club into, I'll take the points regardless of where they come from thanks.

Why is this debate going on in the Hughton thread anyway? The difference in home and away results or results against perceived good and perceived poor opposition isn't down to any significantly different tactics or level of performance from us, it's down to the tactics of our opponents and how able we are to combat them. For the most part our performances (if not results) have been pretty decent and consistent, and a damn site better than I and I should imagine most of you thought they would be. However when teams set out to defend against us and do a decent job of it, we simply don't have the players to break them down. That's not Hughton's fault, and there's not much tactically he can do about it.

I'm not saying Hughton's a great manager, because until he's managed for a lot longer than he has now, you don't know whether he's a one trick pony who has got lucky with a certain way of working with a certain group of players who will eventually get found out. The fact that he has a limited squad in a lot of ways makes his job a lot easier - less choice means that most of his selection decisions are made for him and tbh there's not much he can do wrong (although there are many, many managers out there who would easily fuck it up). We can't even be sure it wasn't Calderwood or isn't Nolan who is actually the main person behind getting the players to perform as a team. However for now IMO Hughton's got the team playing near as well as any manager could get them to, and almost certainly better than anyone Ashley would get in to replace him, so the debate about why we unbelievably can't always beat teams who were better than us 2 years ago before we shed over £15m net worth of players has no place in this thread.

Agree with all of that. Although some of the players we've shed we are better off without whether £15m or not.

Today was more than anything a show of just how weak our squad is rather than having anything to do with Hughton. That 11 would be lucky to win a game all year at this level. Just goes to show how badly we need new signings in January.

Today was a combination of having a paper thin squad and Hughton not knowing how to utilise it. The midfield was always going to piss poor but how many times is he going to play Guthrie out wide before he realises it doesn't work. Similarly Smith has no place in a Championship eleven never mind a Premier League side. I think we'd of offered at least a little more if we'd of pushed guthrie inside and Routledge out wide.

Guest Tall Striker

New signings? The squad is complete, apparently.

Today and the last two home games have negated a lot of the good kudos achieved by the derby and Arsenal wins.

Today we resembled a gutless disorganised shower and Hughton carries the can.