The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wonder what the players would think of the idea that Hughton couldn't handle us in the Premier'. I bet they'd disagree...

Which teacher did you prefer at school?  The teacher who let you did whatever you want & never even attempted to discipline people or the teacher who told you to shut up & get on with your work?

Whilst I don't necessarily want a disciplinarian manager (we've tried that with Souness), I do want a manager who knows what they're doing and who has enough respect from the players that when they're told to do something, they do it instead of forming a committee to decide among themselves what to do.

I don't really care what the players want, some of the more senior players have woeful fitness levels that don't seem to be being addressed, we still have players making the most fundamental errors during games (not bothering to look up before passing), too many players still have less movement than a traffic cone.  These are really basic parts of the game that haven't been addressed since last season and don't look like they'll ever be addressed by Hughton because he's too willing to let the players get away with doing the absolute minimum necessary.

I have no problems with Hughton as a coach and will congratulate him for his efforts to get us promoted at the end of the season, but I want a manager next season, not a friendly coach. 

I liked the teacher who got the most out of me ;)

Guest guinness_fiend

I wonder what the players would think of the idea that Hughton couldn't handle us in the Premier'. I bet they'd disagree...

Which teacher did you prefer at school?  The teacher who let you did whatever you want & never even attempted to discipline people or the teacher who told you to shut up & get on with your work?

Whilst I don't necessarily want a disciplinarian manager (we've tried that with Souness), I do want a manager who knows what they're doing and who has enough respect from the players that when they're told to do something, they do it instead of forming a committee to decide among themselves what to do.

I don't really care what the players want, some of the more senior players have woeful fitness levels that don't seem to be being addressed, we still have players making the most fundamental errors during games (not bothering to look up before passing), too many players still have less movement than a traffic cone.  These are really basic parts of the game that haven't been addressed since last season and don't look like they'll ever be addressed by Hughton because he's too willing to let the players get away with doing the absolute minimum necessary.

I have no problems with Hughton as a coach and will congratulate him for his efforts to get us promoted at the end of the season, but I want a manager next season, not a friendly coach. 

1.  How do you know that he doesn't have the respect of the players?

2.  How do you know that a player committee is running the club?

Aside from the fact that your post reads like you've just fabricated a NOTW story out of thin air, how do you know what Hughton is like when Sky aren't watching?  Just because he is calm in front of the cameras does not mean that he's not "Any Given Sunday Pacino" behind closed doors.

With regard to fitness, has it occurred to you that not every player can by Ryan Giggs?  For every 30+ superplayer, who can play year-on-year in the top leagues, there are scores of people who had to throw the towel in due to their bodies not being able to carry them anymore.  Plus, how do you know that our existing backroom staff, who were here before Hughton and who take resonsibility for fitness etc., are not responsible for the occasional poor performance of the players?

Agendas like this annoy the hell out of me.  Cite facts and I'll listen.  Conjecture I have no time for.  If the "minimum necessary" is being top of the league, I'll settle for that. 

I liked the teacher who got the most out of me ;)

This. 

I agree, while i think he's a nice enough bloke and has done a decent job, we desperately need a decent manager next season IF we go up.

What people should realise is this league is nowhere near as good as people thought it was when we first got relegated last year. Lets be honest...it's shite. Yet even against a lot of teams we've struggled at times.

I honestly believe that with a good manager in charge we would have seriously pissed this league (record points and all that). I'm not saying that he's done a bad job or anything, it's just that against better opposition we/he would be found out in a big way. And if we are honest with ourselves some teams have realised how to play against us(Leicester/Swansea for example) and when that happens we/he  don't/doesn't have a plan b/c/d.

I agree, while i think he's a nice enough bloke and has done a decent job, we desperately need a decent manager next season IF we go up.

What people should realise is this league is nowhere near as good as people thought it was when we first got relegated last year. Lets be honest...it's shite. Yet even against a lot of teams we've struggled at times.

I honestly believe that with a good manager in charge we would have seriously pissed this league (record points and all that). I'm not saying that he's done a bad job or anything, it's just that against better opposition we/he would be found out in a big way. And if we are honest with ourselves some teams have realised how to play against us(Leicester/Swansea for example) and when that happens we/he  don't/doesn't have a plan b/c/d.

If it's that shite how come West Brom with all their lovely football got dumped on the seat of their pants by Bristol City yesterday? It's easy to take results for granted when you are top of the league but I'll bet boro with their quality manager wouldn't mind "fluking" their way to ugly wins like us.

1.  How do you know that he doesn't have the respect of the players?

2.  How do you know that a player committee is running the club?

Aside from the fact that your post reads like you've just fabricated a NOTW story out of thin air, how do you know what Hughton is like when Sky aren't watching?  Just because he is calm in front of the cameras does not mean that he's not "Any Given Sunday Pacino" behind closed doors.

With regard to fitness, has it occurred to you that not every player can by Ryan Giggs?  For every 30+ superplayer, who can play year-on-year in the top leagues, there are scores of people who had to throw the towel in due to their bodies not being able to carry them anymore.  Plus, how do you know that our existing backroom staff, who were here before Hughton and who take resonsibility for fitness etc., are not responsible for the occasional poor performance of the players?

Agendas like this annoy the hell out of me.  Cite facts and I'll listen.  Conjecture I have no time for.  If the "minimum necessary" is being top of the league, I'll settle for that. 

I don't believe he has the respect of the players because that's the best option.  Either Hughton is telling the players not to bother looking before passing the ball, not to bother running into space and to keep hoofing the ball to the heavily defended forward as often as possible away from home, or the players aren't listening to him, or they're deciding what to do themselves.  If Hughton is telling the team that this is the best way to play football then I'd rather not even keep him as a coach next season since he'd be unqualified to coach a kids team.  If they're not listening to him then it's up to Hughton to impose himself properly.

I'd be less worried about the player's fitness if it was just Nicky older than the hills Butt, but we're talking about players like 27 year old Nolan who should be at their physical peak and should not look like they've just got in from a night out on the piss.  Maybe there is an issue with the other coaching staff not doing their job properly, but that again is Hughton's responsibility.  If his coaches aren't doing their job then he needs to replace them or start looking after the player's fitness himself.

I don't have any agenda to speak of, I just don't believe that Hughton has shown anything to suggest that he's good enough for us in the long run

Guest icemanblue

I'd like to find a coach that could get Nolan into shape to be fair.

http://conben.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/19/harvey_bg.jpg

Dunno whether we should keep him in the PL. Depends on the alternatives, I suppose. I think the team are still only playing at 60-70% of their potential, tbh.

I wouldn't even say that much. Most games have been approached with a leisurely stroll.

Guest icemanblue

Dunno whether we should keep him in the PL. Depends on the alternatives, I suppose. I think the team are still only playing at 60-70% of their potential, tbh.

I wouldn't even say that much. Most games have been approached with a leisurely stroll.

I'm convinced you don't watch these games, like. Are you a season ticket holder?

No soopafan business, just a genuine question. I'm at a loss, trying to understand your extreme opinions.

I don't think that's an extreme opinion. Do you think the team are happy playing long ball football - or should I say do you think they might prefer to play a little more football?

They are probably happy being the most effective team in the league at the moment.

Guest Howaythetoon

This team of ours will never be a footballing side regardless of philosophy, coaching or who the manager is simply because as a collective group (and as individuals in some cases) 'it' lacks the wherewithal to play football. What Hughton has done is fashioned a hard working, well organised and disciplined team together from what was a broken and fractured group of players. A team which is capable of winning matches at this level on a consistent basis. For that he deserves enormous credit and because of the circumstances, enormous respect. When I think of some of the more disdainful figures who have represented this club of ours in the boardroom, dugout and playing field over the past few years Hughton represents only the good. Long may he continue to do well. Getting this former rabble of a team promoted at the first time of asking in these circumstances will represent a magnificent achievement, arguably bigger than KK's promotion winning campaign and Sir Bobby getting us into the Champions League. When we entered the season with Hughton in control I feared the worst and never considered promotion to be very much a likelihood which is where we stand today and that is down to Hughton as much as anyone else.  Chris Hughton :clap:

This team of ours will never be a footballing side regardless of philosophy, coaching or who the manager is simply because as a collective group (and as individuals in some cases) 'it' lacks the wherewithal to play football. What Hughton has done is fashioned a hard working, well organised and disciplined team together from what was a broken and fractured group of players. A team which is capable of winning matches at this level on a consistent basis. For that he deserves enormous credit and because of the circumstances, enormous respect. When I think of some of the more disdainful figures who have represented this club of ours in the boardroom, dugout and playing field over the past few years Hughton represents only the good. Long may he continue to do well. Getting this former rabble of a team promoted at the first time of asking in these circumstances will represent a magnificent achievement, arguably bigger than KK's promotion winning campaign and Sir Bobby getting us into the Champions League. When we entered the season with Hughton in control I feared the worst and never considered promotion to be very much a likelihood which is where we stand today and that is down to Hughton as much as anyone else.  Chris Hughton :clap:

Yeah but when we get promoted we'll have to ditch him....

That bit in bold is wrong, in my opinion. Sorry mate. I can't be arsed to go any deeper but I massively doubt group of professional footballers - some of whom are on upwards of £50,000 per week - basically "can't play football".

It's a massive cover-up/cop-out for Chris Hughton to say that these lads don't play good football simply because they aren't capable of it, we have seen glimpses of some great stuff this season - a real quality manager would have meant those glimpses were more the norm.

That bit in bold is wrong, in my opinion. Sorry mate. I can't be arsed to go any deeper but I massively doubt group of professional footballers - some of whom are on upwards of £50,000 per week - basically "can't play football".

It's a massive cover-up/cop-out for Chris Hughton to say that these lads don't play good football simply because they aren't capable of it, we have seen glimpses of some great stuff this season - a real quality manager would have meant those glimpses were more the norm.

Yup.

I'd like to find a coach that could get Nolan into shape to be fair.

http://damianplant.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mr-motivator.jpg

Prefer her to lay in to Nolan about being a fat shit.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_01/littlebritainL_468x570.jpg

To be honest it's an easy get out for Hughton but when you look at the midfield it's easy to see where HTT is coming from. Smith struggles to do the basics in midfield, he puts himself about but seriously lacks the ability to play there. Butt has more ability than Smith but is always looking for the hollywood pass, rarely ever keeps it simple. Nolan has a bit of ability but this is countered by a lack of general fitness, he's more suited to playing off the striker. Guthrie has the ability but lacks the engine to be influential at both ends of the field.

The problem for Hughton is despite the little ability they have they've proved at home they can play. The problem is we go on the road and they spend the entire game watching the ball being smashed over their heads for ninety minutes and that's down to Hughton. He's addressed the lack of ability indirectly with the purchase of Routledge which allows him to push Guthrie inside but if we go up he's going to have to better than that, or the slow, lifeless midfield that got us relegated will do exactly the same all over again.

Think Shearer's right there. Hughton deserves it, if he'll want to be our manager next season.

Alan Shearer says Chris Hughton deserves his chance to manage Newcastle in the Premier League.

Despite guiding the Magpies to the top of the Championship, surviving the loss of several key players and the club's on-going problems in the boardroom, Shearer and not Hughton remains the preferred choice of manager for supporters on Tyneside.

The former captain and striker, who was caretaker boss when Newcastle were relegated, was overlooked by owner Mike Ashley back in May.

Ashley handed temporary control to Hughton before appointing him as permanent boss in October.

Shearer may still fancy a return to the St James' Park hotseat but he is in no doubt that former Spurs No 2 Hughton has earned his chance in the top flight when, and not if, Newcastle complete their promotion mission in May.

Shearer said: 'Chris Hughton has done a fantastic job this year in just steadying the ship. They are playing some decent football, they are getting good results and they are rightly sitting at the top of the league. They probably will go up and deserve to go up.

'Then the next job starts. It's a big one after that and they won't thank me for saying it, but they are almost there.

'Chris has done a magnificent job in getting them into the position they are in and he certainly won't admit they are nearly there because a manager can't do that. But privately he will be thinking they are nearly there and if they are there he will want a crack at it and he deserves it.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1253221/Chris-Hughton-deserves-crack-Premier-League-says-Newcastle-legend-Alan-Shearer.html?ITO=1490

He deserves it more than Shearer anyway.

I wouldn't be against giving him a go next season, it'll probably be a long hard season with a lot of defeats, but he might just have enough to keep us up.

The summer will be a big test, if he thinks Smith, Nolan et al can suddenly cut it in the top flight he's in for a shock.

Aye, one of the key things this summer for me will be what he does with our midfield. If he doesn't sign some new cnetre midfielders then that will give a clear indication that he thinks Nolan and Smith are good enough. He has to be brave and forget names and reputations.