The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Genuine question, as I was too young to know...but did Keegan get questioned and doubted as much when he took us up?

No, because we'd been battered enough at that point to have shed the devine righter atitude prevalent this time around.

Genuine question, as I was too young to know...but did Keegan get questioned and doubted as much when he took us up?

So you havent even seen video's of the football we played that season ?

Am I supposed to take thousands of supporters' opinions from a bit of video footage like?

No, because we'd been battered enough at that point to have shed the devine righter atitude prevalent this time around.

Do you believe we as fans have a divine righter attitude though? or are we not just expecting higher standards than last season?

Guest guinness_fiend

We're top of the league, you psychotic plebeians!  :lol:

Some of the utter drivel that has been spouted in this thread is shameful.  We get it: if Hughton took us up unbeaten (scoring three goals a game), had off-field carnal relations with Cheryl Cole, Megan Fox and Katy Perry, donated his entire salary to charity and discovered the cure for cancer, it would all be undone as soon as Butt's name appears on the scoresheet.

Let's face it, we're not doing *that* bad.   I'm not going to repeat my monologue on why I think it's worth giving him a chance next season, should we get promoted, but methinks asking for the moon on a stick during our most important season in recent memory is a tad excessive, especially seeing as we're on course for automatic promotion with less than a dozen games to go.

(Yep, the reference to Butt on the "scoresheet" is a typo.  It should, of course, read "teamsheet" - blame it on wishful thinking!)

So you havent even seen video's of the football we played that season ?

We are playing better football now.

:nope:

Tell me I've just read that wrong and you didn't say that we're playing better football than the last time we were promoted under keegan.

Tell me I've just read that wrong and you didn't say that we're playing better football than the last time we were promoted under keegan.

Correct me if i'm wrong but haven't we got more points under Hughton at this stage than Keegan.

Of course you know which football i would prefer to see. Forgive me Mick, i'm in clever arse mode. Better, in my mind mean's more effective, not more attractive.

For example Arsenal play more attractive football than Chelsea but it's probably not better. ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong but haven't we got more points under Hughton at this stage than Keegan.

Of course you know which football i would prefer to see. Forgive me Mick, i'm in clever arse mode. Better in my mind mean's more effective, not more attractive.

For example Arsenal play more attractive football than Chelsea but it's probably not better. ;)

We had a much better balanced team under Keegan and we would have beaten Hughtons team 8 or 9 times out of 10.  The league was stronger back then and we played some stunning football both home and away.  This team has been very poor away from home more often than not and that couldn't be said about Keegans team who were on a different level.  We had a good defence, we had a midfield which was both functional and exciting to watch as they could break up play and actually find a team mate with the ball, we actually had pace and creativity.  Up front we had an attack that would rip this team a new arse especially once Andy Cole arrived.

Of course you know which football i would prefer to see. Forgive me Mick, i'm in clever arse mode. Better, in my mind mean's more effective, not more attractive.

because we have more points doesn't even mean we were more effective. keegans promotion team dominated games in a way this team hasn't/couldn't.  this team has picked up a lot of points in games where we couldn't have argued with a point. plus keegans team could have competed well in the prem, this team would be at best in a relegation fight.

Of course you know which football i would prefer to see. Forgive me Mick, i'm in clever arse mode. Better in my mind mean's more effective, not more attractive.

We had a much better balanced team under Keegan and we would have beaten Hughtons team 8 or 9 times out of 10.  The league was stronger back then and we played some stunning football both home and away.  This team has been very poor away from home more often than not and that couldn't be said about Keegans team who were on a different level.  We had a good defence, we had a midfield which was both functional and exciting to watch as they could break up play and actually find a team mate with the ball, we actually had pace and creativity.  Up front we had an attack that would rip this team a new arse especially once Andy Cole arrived.

Thank you for spoiling my fun. Still had more points ;)... i think (couldn't be arsed to check).

Thank you for spoiling my fun. Still had more points ;)... i think (couldn't be arsed to check).

we do as far as i know

because we have more points doesn't even mean we were more effective. keegans promotion team dominated games in a way this team hasn't/couldn't.  this team has picked up a lot of points in games where we couldn't have argued with a point. plus keegans team could have competed well in the prem, this team would be at best in a relegation fight.

Keegan was backed with cash to sign the players necessary. Hall let Keegan buy Andy Cole whereas Ashley declined the chance to sign Moses, a player for the future and went for the cheaper option of Leon Best.

Points = effectiveness.

The thought of Hughton's bores being more effective than Keegan's entertainers is a horrific one but it's true.

I must confess, i won't be defending Hughton's men after this post merely for symbolic purposes.

On a more general note, we need to start deciding what sort of team we want because if we try and play attractive football we could get pwned in the premiership.

Points = effectiveness.

The thought of Hughton's bores being more effective than Keegan's entertainers is a horrific one but it's true.

I must confess, i won't be defending Hughton's men after this post merely for symbolic purposes.

On a more general note, we need to start deciding what sort of team we want because if we try and play attractive football we could get pwned in the premiership.

no they don't...if so have the team with the record points total been the most effective team in history ?

Do you believe we as fans have a divine righter attitude though? or are we not just expecting higher standards than last season?

At the moment I think a fair few do, that is why I asked Midds whether, if we were stuck down in the lower leagues for a few years or more, would it make any difference to him feeling weird celebrating promotion. He said it wouldn't which surprised me. I think there is the feeling that we deserve to be in the premiership and that in regards to Hughton, he, his staff, and the players maybe don't deserve much of the credit for it.

I just don't see it that way. We could have easily decimated the squad, fucked around with managers and buggered it up like Boro, or worse. I think Hughton and the players have done a tremendous job so far this season tbh.

So you're effectively saying Hughton is doing better than Keegan with a far worse team?

The man is a GOD! :clap2:

We're top of the league, you psychotic plebeians!  :lol:

Some of the utter drivel that has been spouted in this thread is shameful.  We get it: if Hughton took us up unbeaten (scoring three goals a game), had off-field carnal relations with Cheryl Cole, Megan Fox and Katy Perry, donated his entire salary to charity and discovered the cure for cancer, it would all be undone as soon as Butt's name appears on the scoresheet.

Let's face it, we're not doing *that* bad.   I'm not going to repeat my monologue on why I think it's worth giving him a chance next season, should we get promoted, but methinks asking for the moon on a stick during our most important season in recent memory is a tad excessive, especially seeing as we're on course for automatic promotion with less than a dozen games to go.

Butt's name on the scoresheet wouldn't be a problem. Teamsheet on the other hand :facepalm:

Chris Hughton deserves cheers, not jeers, from the Toon Army

Chris Hughton can hardly have been happy to see his substitutions being jeered by the Toon Army during the second half at Boro on Saturday.

Replacing Peter Lovenkrands with Nicky Butt earned boos and at the time, following a five minute attacking spell by United, seemed needlessly negative.

Indeed, Boro soon took the lead.

But I’d like to think that Hughton has achieved enough this season to be given a break when he decides to switch tactics and personnel.

In actual fact, Hughton has managed his squad expertly this season, freshening up his starting line-up and tinkering with tactics for home and away games.

The results are clear to see. United are hard to beat, have been energetic enough to sneak points in games in which they haven’t deserved a result, and even injuries have been coped with well.

The result is Hughton’s squad is nine points clear of third place, with a game in hand, and could be promoted at this rate in early to mid-April.

That doesn’t merit booing. It merits the unswerving support that the Toon Army gave Newcastle for the other 89 minutes at the Riverside.

bit of arse-licking going on there I reckon.  Still believe he's stumbled upon/found out his best team on occasions by mistake.

Fair play to him, he's really upped his game in the last month or two, especially at home. 

The criticisms which were rightly levelled at him over our negative style of play in games where should be forcing the pace can't be made now & the right selection of the right players in their strongest positions is really paying off.

Guest firetotheworks

My step dad (who's a taxi driver) delivered an envelope marked 'VS Boro' to Hughton from the training ground to his house in Jesmond the other day. My step dad took the piss out of him for not running very fast down the drive to collect the envelope. I wonder what it was? Especially with it being a while since the boro match.

Fair play to him, he's really upped his game in the last month or two, especially at home. 

The criticisms which were rightly levelled at him over our negative style of play in games where should be forcing the pace can't be made now & the right selection of the right players in their strongest positions is really paying off.

:thup:

Performances at home have improved, and we're taking advantage of weaker teams now which is what I was crying out for.

He needs to sort out our failure to turn up away from home to get some real praise from me.

:thup:

Performances at home have improved, and we're taking advantage of weaker teams now which is what I was crying out for.

He needs to sort out our failure to turn up away from home to get some real praise from me.

Agree with all of that.  A bit disappointed again that Ranger didn't get half an hour as well with the game effectively over.