The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

I wonder how much Colin Calderwood has to do with all of Hughton's relative success. Players in interviews always seem to mention "Chris and Colin" when referring to the mammoth job being done at bringing the club some stability and ultimately results.

Hughton is clearly coming into his own as a manager. He's even slowly started to develop the persona, and no longer looks like the shy assistant boss he did a while back.

The post-match suit was what did it for me! He might be planning to gradually introduce it so he can start wearing it during games!

How long is it since we had a manager and a set of players we could actually like BTW? Owner apart, this is the best group for a while.

yeap was nice to see him in a suit for once, need's to start wearing a lot more

I don't know if it's Hughton, Calderwood or Nolan who is the driving force but one thing stood out for me last night and it was our relentless desire to put Forest down for the count. They battled hard but we just kept going at them till the last minute., After last season's abject surrender it was a privelege to watch and while it will be different in the premier I don't have any real fears because the side is clearly being well led.

In a nutshell really. Think a lot of last season was lack of confidence and direction with change after change throughout the year. We'll never be world beaters under Hughton, but see no reason why we'll not be back to where we were before we came down, ie, upper bottom-half.

I wonder how much Colin Calderwood has to do with all of Hughton's relative success. Players in interviews always seem to mention "Chris and Colin" when referring to the mammoth job being done at bringing the club some stability and ultimately results.

Hughton is clearly coming into his own as a manager. He's even slowly started to develop the persona, and no longer looks like the shy assistant boss he did a while back.

The post-match suit was what did it for me! He might be planning to gradually introduce it so he can start wearing it during games!

How long is it since we had a manager and a set of players we could actually like BTW? Owner apart, this is the best group for a while.

How long is it since we were winning more games than not?

Delighted for Hughton, think he's done an excellent job and is a likeable fella to boot. He's definintely starting to win me over, obviously this squad is much much better than everyone else and it's hard to discount that when you look at how we're doing this season but the thing that I like about him is that a couple of times this season we've gone through poor spells and he's managed use his skill as a manager to lift the players again. He's also made some pretty brave decisions for a rookie manager such as dropping Butt and he's also activiely showing that he's a learning as he goes by playing Guthrie in the centre, on top of all that he's made a few decent buys and shown that he has an eye for a player.

I obviously have my concerns with the Premiership next season because its a completey different ball game with 7-8 teams who can quite easily spank you 5-0, but Im starting to think he definitely deserves a chance, it would be nice to see if we could nurture a good manager like we've started to nurture a few young players!

If he can get us to perform away from home this season, he'll have my support. Must say alot of our home performances have certainly improved recently - especially when he's realised he doesn't have to set up negatively against weaker teams.

What did he do to celebrate the 2nd goal? On the podcast Lowes said he went "full length" in the dugout, so he either fell or brought out his Klinsmann impression. I guess that's why he broke out the suit, didn't fancy being interviewed in a messy tracksuit

What did he do to celebrate the 2nd goal? On the podcast Lowes said he went "full length" in the dugout, so he either fell or brought out his Klinsmann impression. I guess that's why he broke out the suit, didn't fancy being interviewed in a messy tracksuit

he did his shaky fun time dance all the way up the dugout. i liked the ten foot circle he did for the first one.

i was one of his biggest critics earlier in the season, but he's certainly won me over somewhat. Big test is of course next year, and who he brings in and how ruthless he is. But for the time being, he deserves a lot of credit. Top job.

Hughton is the kind of manager that succeeds. He changes the team when players aren't performing, he gives every player a chance and if they are able to perform, they keep the shirt. His signings so far seem very astute and either by design or by circumstances, he hasn't gone for the older, more experienced pro who's usually not motivated enough. He's also rotated the squad well to keep the players fresh (we've played about 45 matches, I think), we play decent football and I just really like the fact that he's not afraid to drop underperforming players, even if they're experienced (Butt and Smith, for example).

I think he's grown into the job and feel that he can do well for us because he's a modern manager. He's not Allardyce or Souness who stick to their formulas even if the results are poor. He's flexible with the team and our style of play, and this characteristic will be important next year.

At every single point this season where i've thought, "this is where Hughton needs to prove himself", for me - he's passed the test every single time. Right from the very start of the season - with collecting team spirit... to signing the right players in January... to the numerous times where we've lost or hit a dry spell, and it's looked a real challenge to up the momentum and get back to playing really well. He's done an absolutely fantastic job this season, no doubt about it.

Hughton is the kind of manager that succeeds. He changes the team when players aren't performing, he gives every player a chance and if they are able to perform, they keep the shirt. His signings so far seem very astute and either by design or by circumstances, he hasn't gone for the older, more experienced pro who's usually not motivated enough. He's also rotated the squad well to keep the players fresh (we've played about 45 matches, I think), we play decent football and I just really like the fact that he's not afraid to drop underperforming players, even if they're experienced (Butt and Smith, for example).

I think he's grown into the job and feel that he can do well for us because he's a modern manager. He's not Allardyce or Souness who stick to their formulas even if the results are poor. He's flexible with the team and our style of play, and this characteristic will be important next year.

All good points, I don't think we'll struggle as badly as many are expecting next season either, although it will be a bigger challenge of his abilities that's for sure. I think one of the things Hughton has got bang on is his lack of grandstanding. He lets the players take the limelight and it's produced a great spirit in the squad. Just loved the way we never stopped going at Forest for 90 mins yesterday.

George Caulkin on Hughton etc.

Link - Hughton's trusted formula gives Newcastle hope for future.

"The Premier League will be better with Newcastle in it and, with a bit of luck, Newcastle will be better for their year in the wilderness. There has been a value in simply going to the match and enjoying the uncomplicated buzz of victory, the squad has been weeded of malingerers and, by and large, the players who are there want to be there. The team may not be graceful, but it is just that: a team"

Long, but worth it for the warm feeling you'll get.  :thup:

Guest Chris P

How do i say this. Mourinho started as bobbys translater. Hughton started as manager at Newcastle united.

I can not believe how fickle some of the posters are on this board, (basically being led by yorkshire administrators).

The best thing thats happened too this club in a long time is being relegated so that we can regroup and move forwards, and last nights result proves that . Far to many Twats listen to the enlightenment that is Sky , BBC etc.

We need a proper manager etc.

We've already got one. :coolsmiley:

If Jonny Hall is starting to crack I think we have won this war :lol:

:lol:

Last night I was adament. Then I watched the highlights on Sky before, saw Hughton's celebration, then his reaction post-game with the players and part of me went "What a guy, he's actually a decent manager..." :lol:

How do i say this. Mourinho started as bobbys translater. Hughton started as manager at Newcastle united.

I can not believe how fickle some of the posters are on this board, (basically being led by yorkshire administrators).

The best thing thats happened too this club in a long time is being relegated so that we can regroup and move forwards, and last nights result proves that . Far to many Twats listen to the enlightenment that is Sky , BBC etc.

We need a proper manager etc.

We've already got one. :coolsmiley:

:lol: