Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Ameobi 7? There's no way I'm having that, he was f***ing abysmal. How on earth can you say "he will get no credit for it", there was nothing from him at all tonight.

Have to agree - Shola was poor tonight and still looks short of match fitness.

Harper 7 - Did okay. Not at fault for the goals.

Simpson 4 - Couldn't cope with Thomas.

Taylor 6 - Okay but not commanding.

Coloccini 5 - Bad lapse for their 2nd goal.

Enrique 6 - He's a vital attacking weapon for us, but often gives the ball away in dangerous situations.

Jonas 7 - a very important player tonight, despite his poor final ball. Easily our best attacking threat from midfield.

Smith 5 - Outpaced by the opposition, but kept going.

Nolan 5 - See Smith

Guthrie 6 - Showed the occasional flash of skill. Struggled physically as per.

Ameobi 7 - Until he tired, kept our attacking effort together almost single-handed. Will get no credit for it.

Lovenkrands 6 - Would have got a 4 if it wasn't for a very important goal.

Ameobi 7? Have you been snorting crack of a whores arse cheeks again?

Ameobi 7? There's no way I'm having that, he was f***ing abysmal. How on earth can you say "he will get no credit for it", there was nothing from him at all tonight.

Have to agree - Shola was poor tonight and still looks short of match fitness.

He's looked short of match fitness his whole career.  This is about as fit as he gets.

I don't agree that Ameobi was terrible, I think he got nowt from the ref and his touch and link up play was a lot better then Carrolls when he came on.  However it is a bit odd to give him a 7 when he was 100% at fault for the first goal.

Guest WashyGeordie

poor tbh

Had West Brom brought some fans it would have been well over 40k at least :lol:

This.

They only had about 500-800 fans, I'd be surprised if it was more.

After I slight calming down. WBA are not the 1st team who have came to SJP, played football & looked better than us. We are geared up to play against cloggers with a load of northern lads: Harper, Simpson, Taylor x 2, Smith, Nolan, Butt, Guthrie, Carroll & Ameobi.

Not too disappointed with the draw, it could have gone either way.

The longer this season goes on, I just hav a horrible feeling that we're overperforming and we can't sustain it for a whole season. So many poor players and so many weaknesses. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

in what way are we overperforming? player for player the team that played tonight is better than any other in the championship by a long way. it was clear that individually we had by far the better players. hughton is not a tactician however, so we are always going to be limited in that department.

Play like that against any team other than west brom and we'd have bummed them, and we were still very unfortunate with a few decisions and they were fouling bastards.

I meant that our league position is much higher than our general quality deserves, and I'm worried that it can't continue for the whole season.

I meant that our league position is much higher than our general quality deserves, and I'm worried that it can't continue for the whole season.

Its a cliche but the league never lies. We will get what we deserve in the end.

Guest toonlass

Just got back in, West Brom were the better team for much of the game, but all credit to us for coming back twice against them, it shows a bit of strength in us where we would have just collapsed before. HOWEVER there was something seriously wrong with the balance of the team tonight. I can't put my finger on it, but something was just not right. The defence was twitchy, the midfield desperately needs some creativity in it and Shola was absolutely static all night and had no awareness of where Lovenkrands was. The ref was absolutely shite, there was a couple of times he could have given us penalties and no-one could have complained, but he didn't and he should have sent Jara off for his horrible challenge on Jonas.

Harper 7

Simpson 4.5

Taylor 6

Colocinni 5

Enrique 6

Guthrie 6.5

Nolan 5

Smith 5

Jonas 7

Ameobi 4

Lovenkrands 6.5

Very much a point gained tonight. We didn't deserve to win tonight and WBA are a good team who'll go close to winning this league.

6 points is a nice cushion but we need to get our shit together if we're going to go up automatically. A month ago i was certain we were going to win this division but if we continue to play as poorly as we have done since Xmas then we'll finish 3rd. Need to ger their fingers out. 

Guest The_Scoreboard

poor tbh

Had West Brom brought some fans it would have been well over 40k at least :lol:

This.

They only had about 500-800 fans, I'd be surprised if it was more.

each block is about 500 isnt so i would say about 600, very poor.

Briefly:

Ameobi is shit and a lazy fucker

Ref was a clueless twat

missed their second goal cos I was having a piss

Best song of the season was 'Peter Lovenkrands.........' after his header, sounded class

West Broms second goal tonight was nowt short of criminal. Their winger sauntered down the whole side of our half without so much as a hint of a challenge. Caught with our pants down so soon after half time and thoroughly unprofessional.

Was it a good game on TV? Think that was one of the most exciting matched I've ever seen at SJP, certainly since we should have won the title in 96. We were completely overrun in midlfield and down our right side generally but I think the team deserves huge credit for not buckling and creating lots of chances of our own. Great game.

Guest Heneage

Very much a point gained tonight. We didn't deserve to win tonight and WBA are a good team who'll go close to winning this league.

6 points is a nice cushion but we need to get our s*** together if we're going to go up automatically. A month ago i was certain we were going to win this division but if we continue to play as poorly as we have done since Xmas then we'll finish 3rd. Need to ger their fingers out. 

I don't know I think they are made for the counter attack.

At home where times sit back they struggle, because the space in the opponents half becomes limited, at which point you have to be pretty damn good at pass and move. (See Arsenal's first yesterday). Wba aren't on that level, really, we played to each others strengths, they sat back for us which meant we could hit it long, we spaced out the midfield and defenders so they had gaps with in which to play.

Guest toonlass

Definite song for Saturday

"Where were you, where were you, where were you on Monday night?"

600 WBA fans if you were lucky, and one bloke sat all on his own in one of the middle blocks who didn't come back out in the second half.

Well, I have just watched one of the teams that will get automatically promoted and it isnt us. I thought West Brom were excellent and shouild have won the game easily. Even before the Carroll penalty decision, the Jonas run and the Lovenkrands offside decision, they should have had the game sewn up after the Miller miss and the Olson free header.

IMO, they had the midfield all day and the games best performers in Thomas and Dorrans. I thought DiMatteo made a mistake in taking off Bednar and if he had stayed on, WBA would certainly have won.

As for us, we looked decidely ordinary and seemed to want to play down one side of the park only. We were far too slow in the centre of midfield with Nolan and Guthrie giving the ball away continually and Ameobi totally ineffecvtive up front. I honestly cannot see us finishing ahead of WBA and Forest even though we are 3 and 6 points clear with a game in  hand.

Hughton desperately needs players of quality and fat ash, who was at the game, MUST see this. WE NEED PLAYERS.