Newcastle United 2 - 2 West Brom - 18/01/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

These got lost at the bottom of a page, so I'll repost (with a slight amendment)

Harper 7

Simpson 4.5

Coloccini 5

S.Taylor 6

Enrique 6.5

Jonas 7

Smith 5

Nolan 5

Guthrie 6

Ameobi 4

Lovenkrands 6

Carroll 5

R.Taylor 5.5

West Brom, for all their attacking prowess, showed themselves to be absolute twats in my eyes. Easily the dirtiest side we've played against this season. The way Olsson and Tamas constantly berated the officials and got off scot free with countless fucking fouls has left a really bitter taste in my mouth. I honestly can't believe how they finished with 10 men on the pitch, absolute disgrace.

As for the performance, we looked tired, laboured, but nonetheless a threat. West Brom were the classier side by a distance but I think we just about deserved the draw.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Harper   7

Simpson   4.5

Taylor   6

Coloccini   6

Enrique   6

Guthrie   7

Smith   6

Nolan   4

Jonas   7

Shola   4

Lovenkrands   7

You wish.. At fault for their second.

I agree but if you watch it back, Nolan dosnt track the guy with the ball, he ends up doing nothing. Colo's marking was poor but Nolan is more at fault, if he'd have bust a gut (albeit a sizeable one) he would have nullified the situation

Harper   7

Simpson   4.5

Taylor   6

Coloccini   6

Enrique   6

Guthrie   7

Smith   6

Nolan   4

Jonas   7

Shola   4

Lovenkrands   7

You wish.. At fault for their second.

I agree but if you watch it back, Nolan dosnt track the guy with the ball, he ends up doing nothing. Colo's marking was poor but Nolan is more at fault, if he'd have bust a gut (albeit a sizeable one) he would have nullified the situation

Oh, the cross should have been kept out, no doubt about that, but his marking air was absolutely ridiculous..

Guest optimistic nit

very good game. i thought attack wise we were very good, final balls let us down though. defense wise we were pretty poor, both goals were scored by horrific defending.

I've not been as nervous and tense in a game as this for a long time. It really could have gone either way, gutted Jonas couldn't cut back for Carroll after that run at the end, and absolutely shit myself when the ball fell for Miller on the 83rd.

Shame we couldn't have picked up the three points, but we didn't lose and can still give ourselves a healthy lead if we win our game in hand. It really was a good game.

West Brom, for all their attacking prowess, showed themselves to be absolute twats in my eyes. Easily the dirtiest side we've played against this season. The way Olsson and Tamas constantly berated the officials and got off scot free with countless f***ing fouls has left a really bitter taste in my mouth. I honestly can't believe how they finished with 10 men on the pitch, absolute disgrace.

As for the performance, we looked tired, laboured, but nonetheless a threat. West Brom were the classier side by a distance but I think we just about deserved the draw.

I agree they were very cynical, a stronger ref would have helped us no end.

Guest optimistic nit

Not too disappointed with the draw, it could have gone either way.

The longer this season goes on, I just hav a horrible feeling that we're overperforming and we can't sustain it for a whole season. So many poor players and so many weaknesses. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

in what way are we overperforming? player for player the team that played tonight is better than any other in the championship by a long way. it was clear that individually we had by far the better players. hughton is not a tactician however, so we are always going to be limited in that department.

Play like that against any team other than west brom and we'd have bummed them, and we were still very unfortunate with a few decisions and they were fouling bastards.

Do we or Man yoo pay for Simpsons counselling after that raping he received tonight?

That Thomas guy looked pretty good for them in fairness to Simpson, right footer playing on the left, kept cutting in and was causing Simpson problems all night. I'm torn on Simpson, he's obviously got some things he needs to work on, but he's tried hard for us and overall been pretty solid, not sure where, in our current predicament, we are going to find anything better than him and we need a right back for sure.

Not too disappointed with the draw, it could have gone either way.

The longer this season goes on, I just hav a horrible feeling that we're overperforming and we can't sustain it for a whole season. So many poor players and so many weaknesses. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

in what way are we overperforming? player for player the team that played tonight is better than any other in the championship by a long way. it was clear that individually we had by far the better players. hughton is not a tactician however, so we are always going to be limited in that department.

Play like that against any team other than west brom and we'd have bummed them, and we were still very unfortunate with a few decisions and they were fouling bastards.

Couldn't agree more, we are not overperforming at all, in fact quite the opposite, we've been getting results all season despite underperformances.

First home game i missed in a long time silly (sisters 30th birthday :rant:) don't think my heart could have handled this one by reading above, gonna watch the highlights on ITV in 15 mins IIRC looking forward to seeing millers miss.

Edit: BBC 23:35

Harper 7 - Did okay. Not at fault for the goals.

Simpson 4 - Couldn't cope with Thomas.

Taylor 6 - Okay but not commanding.

Coloccini 5 - Bad lapse for their 2nd goal.

Enrique 6 - He's a vital attacking weapon for us, but often gives the ball away in dangerous situations.

Jonas 7 - a very important player tonight, despite his poor final ball. Easily our best attacking threat from midfield.

Smith 5 - Outpaced by the opposition, but kept going.

Nolan 5 - See Smith

Guthrie 6 - Showed the occasional flash of skill. Struggled physically as per.

Ameobi 7 - Until he tired, kept our attacking effort together almost single-handed. Will get no credit for it.

Lovenkrands 6 - Would have got a 4 if it wasn't for a very important goal.

Fair result for me and got to give us a bit of credit for coming from behind (ooh-er Missus!) twice. On the down side though, the lack of pace we have especially in middle of midfield is a major worry, as is Nolan doing his usual disappearing act. We got over-ran at times which happens against sides who have a bit of pace and nous about them. Dorrans looks a good player and made them tick.

We need to sort this blip out and I get the impression that some players are coasting at the moment. A kick up the arse is needed, methinks!