Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

The guy is a hero. Wish he had scored today though.

Had a rocky spell before his injury, but in general he is one of the best readers of play we have had at the back, his pace obviously lets him down but he is generally a great calming influence at the back and strong in the air. Great to have him back in the team.

Guest WashyGeordie

http://www.nufc.co.uk/javaImages/b/3b/0,,10278~10369803,00.gif

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

After meeting Sir Richard Branson at the Northumberland Street branch of Virgin Money, Newcastle defender Mike Williamson admitted to being "star-struck" by the billionaire magnate.

Williamson, along with Davide Santon and Sammy Ameobi, went along to the city centre store to meet Sir Richard, whose company have recently taken over Northern Rock and last week agreed a two-year deal as the club's new shirt sponsors.

And the centre-half told nufc.co.uk that he was honoured to spend time with the fourth richest man in the UK, who built up his business empire after leaving school with barely any qualifications.

"I think it's hard not to admire him, the achievements he's set, the things he's done and the businesses that he's ran," said Williamson.

"It's incredible and I'm quite star-struck at the minute!

"I've just been watching him going around and communicating with people and doing interviews. He's got a real aura about him and he's a chatty, nice, welcoming guy as well.

"For somebody with the assets that he's got, he's very down-to-earth."

Since Virgin Money began their sponsorship of the Magpies last week, United have won both of their games,

They beat Manchester United 3-0 before progressing to the third round of the FA Cup with victory over Blackburn on Saturday, and Williamson is pleased that it has proven to be such a good partnership.

"It has been, and long may it continue," he said.

"We're in confident form and the results are coming in, so we'll hopefully be able to carry that on."

Full credit to Williamson and the physios that he's come straight into the team, during an injury 'crisis', after 3-4months out and managed to slot straight back into the team with only half a (very leggy) reserve game under his belt.

Hasn't suffered any recurrences of his previous injury (touch wood) and for the last couple of games he's looked back to full health.

A pleasant change from the 'bad' old days of rushing players back too soon for them to hobble back into the treatment room.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says defender Mike Williamson's return after an ankle injury has been crucial in their recent mini revival. "We have had two clean sheets from Mike in four games, and that's fantastic. It just goes to show how he has conditioned himself in that time off. He can be very proud of himself,"

:thup: well done Mike, another clean sheet today please.

He has always been a solid CB for me. It was imperative that as soon as Saylor got injured that we get Willo back as soon as we could. Just had a feeling that our defence would look alright when he was fit again.

(Would also like him to score a goal for us one day!)

Guest Heneage

Very very poor on the ball though, same as Simpson. I'm not sure if it's because they play opposite Coloccini and Santon but the pair of them always look petrified on the ball.