Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Like I say, it was just an example off the top of my head. Just a CB who's proven himself in the league would be nice. They don't have to be a world-beater, just someone consistent and decent. Not another punt like every single CB we've signed over the last million years has been.

Who honestly wanted Caulker in the summer for 8/9 million pound. I can't remember many screaming for us to sign him and being gutted when Cardiff stumped up. 10 games in and suddenly we've missed out on him?

I think most people were concentrating on the ridiculous notion that we might strengthen our strike force. CB didn't exactly feel like a priority compared to the ridiculous lack of depth elsewhere.

Who honestly wanted Caulker in the summer for 8/9 million pound. I can't remember many screaming for us to sign him and being gutted when Cardiff stumped up. 10 games in and suddenly we've missed out on him?

It's just another example though isn't it, man. We're allowed to have hindsight cos we're not paid tens of thousands of pounds a year to identify transfer targets! :razz:

You can sit there and lose count of the amount of decent CBs we've missed out on in the past, when they were utterly attainable. Instead, we've signed guff from abroad and/or persisted with shite from the academy (including Taylor, who's not shite but has never been reliable). Look at the value Everton have got out of Phil Jagielka, for example - I'm sure they got him for something like £5m.

You can go back years listing our failures when it comes to signing CBs. Marcelino, Boumsong, Rozehnal, Cacapa, Moore, Bramble, etc, etc, etc. Rubbish. Coloccini's a rare gem, but he cost a lot and even he took a year to get going. Abdoulaye Faye was exactly what we needed at the time, it was a real pity he didn't work out. But we've been rubbish at buying CBs for ages and need to sort it out, this is my general point.

I think 8 mill pounds was a fair price for a future international centre half, with 2 years experience in the top flight. I was shocked when Cardiff was his destination, thought an established club would have snapped him up.

I always sign Caulker as Colo's successor on FIFA, make of that what you will. And Dede as the beast.

Two 6'3 CBs, makes Tony Pulis and Pardew giddy. Also, those 2 would fucking boss people around - the bash brothers.

I always sign Caulker as Colo's successor on FIFA, make of that what you will. And Dede as the beast.

Two 6'3 CBs, makes Tony Pulis and Pardew giddy. Also, those 2 would fucking boss people around - the bash brothers.

True, Caulker is fairly mobile and good on the ball though. In FIFA at least.

Everyone knows what we need.... a leader with the physical attributes to adapt instantly.

Being comfortable on the ball would be nice but not a necessity; Williamson is a good leader but is far too frail and Taylor while having the correct physique to be a success isn't much of leader.

But will the fat man and his cronies supply the funds to make this happen? not a chance.

I think 8 mill pounds was a fair price for a future international centre half, with 2 years experience in the top flight. I was shocked when Cardiff was his destination, thought an established club would have snapped him up.

When Mackay was unveiling him on the FL92 show, I wasn't feeling anything angry towards our board because we hadn’t got him or felt we had missed out. Obviously in hindsight that is now looking good value and i would have liked to have him here.

Everyone knows what we need.... a leader with the physical attributes to adapt instantly.

Being comfortable on the ball would be nice but not a necessity; Williamson is a good leader but is far too frail and Taylor while having the correct physique to be a success isn't much of leader.

But will the fat man and his cronies supply the funds to make this happen? not a chance.

Well summed up. It'd be great to have a big fucker at the back dominating in the air  and scaring the shit out of the opposition.