Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Taylor treats the ball like a hotcake. Doesn't want it anywhere near him, which can be good for a centre back in certain situations but for a top table side that looks to keep possession and build from the back, it's far too primitive.

Absolute nonsense. Have you actually watched much of Taylor? He loves running the ball out from the back. In my book, his biggest problem is that he thinks he's some sort of Beckenbauer, when he should just stick to basics.

The idea that Williamson is better than him in the air ("wins everything in the air" my arse) is equally misguided.

I agree with your first point about Taylor, sometimes he takes it too far.

Your second point though i open to question, i'm not sure Taylor is better in the air than Williamson.

Overall though, i'd rather have Mike at the back than Taylor as i think Taylor is far to dodgy and i never feel confident when he is at the back.

Taylor treats the ball like a hotcake. Doesn't want it anywhere near him, which can be good for a centre back in certain situations but for a top table side that looks to keep possession and build from the back, it's far too primitive.

Absolute nonsense. Have you actually watched much of Taylor? He loves running the ball out from the back. In my book, his biggest problem is that he thinks he's some sort of Beckenbauer, when he should just stick to basics.

The idea that Williamson is better than him in the air ("wins everything in the air" my arse) is equally misguided.

I agree with your first point about Taylor, sometimes he takes it too far.

Your second point though i open to question, i'm not sure Taylor is better in the air than Williamson.

Overall though, i'd rather have Mike at the back than Taylor as i think Taylor is far to dodgy and i never feel

confident when he is at the back.

If Taylor had made the basic errors Williamson has made in recent months, he'd be hung, drawn and quartered. Not least by the hatred on here.

Guest Nikos34

Taylor's problem is that he can't stay fit for more than 2 games! Maybe if he could string a run of games together alongside Colo then they could become a good partnership.

Williamson is a steady stopper who, when confident, can be solid but up against the better sides in the league I think he gets found out.

I'd sooner have a fit Taylor in the team when possible. I think Taylor is more aggressive and is less likely to be intimidated by an opponent or an occasion.

However, the fact that we're debating who we'd prefer in the team suggests that perhaps neither of them are a worthy enough partner for wor Fabricio.

By the way, does anyone think Tamas Kadar has ever done much wrong when he's played? Looks a crackin' footballing defender if you ask me.

Don't rate either of them massively but then of course they will look shit alongside Colo. Out of the two, Taylor would just edge it.

Personally, i think it would be great to see us sign another quality centre back for Colocccini. He deserves to have a quality partner alongside him.

He's further than most from ideal when he's just plopped in alongside a random partner for a shortish period of time having not been in serious contention previously, though.

There's a few possible justifications for him being a back up defender for us, but in a larger scheme of things I can see better types than him for the role. I say that as someone who wants him as first choice alongside Colo for the foreseeable future and would only swap him for a very large upgrade, mind.

He's done very well since he arrived at our club and particulary well in the last two very difficult away games when we needed height against route one teams.

Can't we just love him, Colo, Taylor, Sol and everyone else just as long as they give their best and they're wearing black and white ?

He's done very well since he arrived at our club and particulary well in the last two very difficult away games when we needed height against route one teams.

Can't we just love him, Colo, Taylor, Sol and everyone else just as long as they give their best and they're wearing black and white ?

Agree with that last bit. No point in being overly critical about players who are doing a decent job.

When you're not satisfied about Willo, just look back to the good 'ol days of Huntington-Ramage

Officially the fourth best central defender I've seen in a Newcastle shirt.

Man, we've had some s*** ones :lol:

Without going into a counting game I agree with your sentiment. I'm wrestling with the thought that Boumsong was bought for 8 times the price of Williamson.

Officially the fourth best central defender I've seen in a Newcastle shirt.

Man, we've had some s*** ones :lol:

Without going into a counting game I agree with your sentiment. I'm wrestling with the thought that Boumsong was bought for 8 times the price of Williamson.

Pretty perfect perspective.

I thought he was our best player at Brum.

Agreed. He won every duel against Zigic. I do not think Tayls would have pulled off the same feat.

No, there's no way Tayls would have coped with a strikeforce which has scored less than a goal a game at home in the Premier League.

I doubt he'd have been bum raped by Jason Roberts, half a dozen Arsenal players and Stevenage this season either.

Colo and Williamson both got raped at Bolton without Tiote in front of them and the anonymous midfield inviting pressure on them time and time again, but by all means continue to single out the player you have an agenda against to suit the purposes of your argument.

Steven Taylor

Goals Conceded/Game  1.55

Shots on Target/Goals Conceded  5.06

Clean Sheets/Game  0.18

Mike Williamson

Goals Conceded/Game    1.38

Shots on Target/Goals Conceded    3.97

Clean Sheets/Game  0.25

Stats from this season taken from .co.uk so not sure how accurate he stats are.