When did you start following The Toon?

MyPalAl

Guest johnson293

I also missed the Barca game - had a ticket to see Oasis at the Arena on the same night.

During the concert, Noel Gallagher kept updating the scores - when he said it was 3-0 to Newcastle, most people just thought he was taking the Pish!

Liam Gallagher wore a Newcastle shirt for the whole gig as well.

Had recorded the match, and watched it in full when I got in from the gig.

i didn't know that  :coolsmiley:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/johnson293/82_1_b.jpg

The only pic I ever found of it.

Relatively new to the scene, about 04/05 (and now I lost all my cred on this board).

:nods: 05.

Liverpool fan for a day until I learned what the Champions League was. Couldn't bandwagon. Waited for the next season, decided I would support the worst team I saw.

I chose them after visiting Newcastle and really falling in love with the area.  It was right around the time when Fox Soccer started broadcasting here so I chose them and have watched almost every match since - missing very few indeed.

Similar story for me. I was initially leaning towards Arsenal, because they play really beautiful football. I don't remember the exact game of my conversion, but I absolutely fell in love with the Toon the first game I saw them play. I knew Shearer from 96 and Robson from 1990--I was in Italy at the time. Until fairly recently, it was easier to see international football than European leagues in the US.

So I enjoyed 1 1/2 seasons of bliss as a fan and then Partizan happened and its been nothing but misery since.

1995. I was 12.

Me and 3 friends were going to order shirts with our name on the back and I didnt know what shirt to buy. I played football but I didnt follow any team. They all started to explain why I should buy one of their teams shirts and when the Newcastle fan told me about Shearer and Newcastle I decided to go for a Nufc shirt.

So it was a coincidence but Im glad I wound up with Nufc. Wouldnt wanna be one of a million Liverpool or Man U fans here in Norway :)

96 i was 5, watching CNN World Sports with my father i saw Alan Shearer score on highlights. From that day on i followed them, then one day a friend of my dads tried to make me support Manchester, i refused and said i supported the team in black and white and from 99 i started to follow seriously by every single day turning on the Television text and seeing if they had played. 2000 i started to follow them on TV, luckily with SBR.

I also missed the Barca game - had a ticket to see Oasis at the Arena on the same night.

During the concert, Noel Gallagher kept updating the scores - when he said it was 3-0 to Newcastle, most people just thought he was taking the Pish!

Liam Gallagher wore a Newcastle shirt for the whole gig as well.

Had recorded the match, and watched it in full when I got in from the gig.

i didn't know that  :coolsmiley:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/johnson293/82_1_b.jpg

The only pic I ever found of it.

I wanted to be at that gig.  I was totally obsessed with Oasis then (many say I still am - they are my favourite band) but couldn't miss the match, and don't think my parents wanted me going to an Oasis gig age 8.

In 1993, I was three. My brother and dad were Man U fans and my mum was a Newcastle fan 'cause of Keegan so I joined her.

My favorite player back then was Pavel Srníček  :doh: because I liked to play goalie.

have you met dave ?

In 1996. A new family moved in next door and they supported Newcastle and had a kid a around my age so the more time I spent hanging out with them the more hooked I got..

Bought my first shirt in 1997, saw my first game at SJP in 1999 vs Everton with Shearer missing a pen (and scoring one)...

Dad took me to my first game, v West Ham in March 1976. We had the likes of Supermac, Alan Gowling. They had Frank Lampard (senior), Billy Bonds. Mervyn Day was in goal. I remember being in the old Leazes, and everyone was singing "Mervyn Day is a puff!"

I had terrible toothache and had my black and white bar scarf tied around my gob on the bus home, before a trip to the dental hospital the next day. You could say i've felt pain from that day onwards. It just comes and goes, that's all.

As long as I can remember - my Gran used to sing me a dandling song

"you've heard of Hughie Gallagher, the wee Scots Lad

The best centre-forward Newcastle ever had

If he doesn't score a goal

We'll put him on the dole

and send him back to Scotland in the morning"

so say around 1950......................................

Since i first started getting into football circa 1992, aged 6/7. Whole family is from the round about and Newcastle fans so it was unlikely anything else was going to happen.

First match was NUFC 3-0 P'boro in Promotion year.

1996, aged 6. Sole reason being Shearer.

Same with me! Put I started probably a year or two later, but yes, Shearer was the main reason. I had little interest in footy back then, and as a naive young lad saw him and instantly fell in love (with him and NUFC). Been hooked since.

From about the age of 10/11 so 1988, never went to a match until about age 13 (Testamonial for John Anderson).  Actually went off them for a bit during the glory years (cousins and the likes who didnt really like football or supported liverpool or manure coming back and giving it large about how much they loved NUFC!).  

But back now, get to the odd home game.

another game I remember was B&W's v Leeds, Boxing day game in the 70's in Leazes End game was a lock out at 13.30 for 15.00 kickoff,Frank Clark played sh*te then gets sold on to Forest and wins a European Cup Winners Medal could'nt believe it.

I hated football, and all sport as a kid. Went to Loughborough Uni in 96, then got booted out. Went to Newcastle Uni. And after a year or two of living in the Toon, I realised I had been sucked into the world of Newcastle United, as I sat in a restaurant craning my neck out the window to watch the match on the big screen in the pub across the road. This was Gullit era, but immediately before Robson became manager. Now, well, there's no looking back.

for what its worth me auntie still follows the team (but is too old to go these days) 

She remembers us winning the League............................. and her dad started following the club in around 1910 when he was a bairn................

I started to be a Bayern Munich fan (like almost everyone in my area) but soon it became boring to win the league every year. In about 2000 I've watched the Premier League highligths and saw Shearer play for Newcastle and somehow became a NUFC supporter.

First match was Ollie Burton's testamonial in 1973 aged 4, although can't remember it. I do remember my Dad taking me to welcome the team back after the FA Cup Final a year later though, can still recall the incredible noise to this day.

Starting going at the back end of the 77-78 relegation season with my old man and 81-82 was the first season on my tod. Have been going ever since.