Football podcasts

Gash

Anyone listened to the recent Wilson and Antonio podcast?

They were discussing the best 5-a-side combined West Ham and Newcastle.

Antonio is absolutely deluded, somehow seems to think West Ham are superior in every position. Good to hear Wilson sticking up for his teammates though. Can't wait to hear the podcast after they play against each other.

I gave up on it quite early on.  Both seem like nice enough blokes.  Just a lot of OTT laughing at stuff that isn't that funny and then a load of filler and breaks.  I thought it might give a bit more of an insight into the game at the top level.  But I never really got that from it. 

• 2 months later...
On 24/11/2022 at 17:17, Yorkie said:

@Theregulars and I have had a bash at making one cos why not. Feedback welcome. 

Excellent 👌 Should make it a regular thing. You both balance each other nicely. Maybe get a few more off the forum on for guest appearances. Hopefully gets more attention when World Cup is over.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually don't mind TF.  But found the last two a tough slog and turned the last one off.  There are a few on there that all merge into one, who don't really offer any insight or have much to say that you don't hear down the pub or at the match.  Constantly getting things wrong and just seem to be involved as they're all mates.

Hurst seems like a bellend on social media, but he's a good host on there I think.  There are a couple of more analytical types and some of the more jovial ones who I like listening to.  

I'm going to sound like a massive sexist here for singling her out :lol: and I'm sure she is a nice person.  But Charlotte is fucking awful on there.  It's like me talking to my sister, who doesn't really follow football, about a game.  After she has just done a night shift and then had a few bong hits for good measure. 

She genuinely comes out with some of the worst analysis I have ever heard and it boils down to things like 'run faster' and 'why are we passing the ball to the wrong person'. 

It is painful to listen to. 

The TF podcast is awful man. Genuinely terrible. Their lack of knowledge annoys the fuck out of me.

”Aye, it was a good performance, reminded me of the time Graham Fenton scored our 5th against Man United in the early 2000s. That lob over Bosnich is etched in my memory forever”

Haha.  That was one of my gripes this morning.  Started going on about how well Joelinton and Willock linked up against Southampton.

Joelinton was banned :lol: 

Hurst regularly used to go on about ASM and Joelinton being left footed, and all.  

I still listen to it and some of them seem sound.  I'm sure I'd be shit at it doing it in that format and when you're kind of put on the spot.  But I honestly think there is more interesting and insightful analysis down the pub when I watch a game.  

Aside from Tifo, Ramble, Totally Football and Football Weekly, are there any decent general football pods? Really enjoy Totally Football and Tifo at the moment but I need more content tbh.

Would quite like to see Waugh on some of the athletics general pods, think hes pretty good, maybe a little wasted on POTT.

Yeah, I agree that he is wasted on there. Caulkin I find hit and miss. But often on the pod, whenever some tactical or in depth chat is offered by Waugh. It is just Caulkin and the idiot host getting stuck into him.

The ‘banter’ on it makes it unlistenable, most the while.  

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

Aside from Tifo, Ramble, Totally Football and Football Weekly, are there any decent general football pods? Really enjoy Totally Football and Tifo at the moment but I need more content tbh.

Would quite like to see Waugh on some of the athletics general pods, think hes pretty good, maybe a little wasted on POTT.

From The Athletic, the ones you're missing are Football Clichés and the Football Tactics podcast. The Football Podcast has some good episodes but it's mostly the usual fare of smartarses being pretentious, a la Totally Football.

Set Piece Menu is the best ever; it's finished now but doesn't date because they're all general topics.

I enjoyed the Quickly Kevin coverage during the World Cup, and they've got some really good episodes in their back catalogue. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

From The Athletic, the ones you're missing are Football Clichés and the Football Tactics podcast. The Football Podcast has some good episodes but it's mostly the usual fare of smartarses being pretentious, a la Totally Football.

Set Piece Menu is the best ever; it's finished now but doesn't date because they're all general topics.

I enjoyed the Quickly Kevin coverage during the World Cup, and they've got some really good episodes in their back catalogue. 

I'll check out the Football Cliches I've heard it advertised but never listened. I'll have a look for the Set Peice Menu

I like the pretentiousness of Totally Football to be honest, always liked James Richardson since Football Italia.

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah, I agree that he is wasted on there. Caulkin I find hit and miss. But often on the pod, whenever some tactical or in depth chat is offered by Waugh. It is just Caulkin and the idiot host getting stuck into him.

The ‘banter’ on it makes it unlistenable, most the while.  

Caulkin definitely half arses it, the best episodes of POtT are when they have opposition teams reporters on.

If you scroll through Undr the Cosh's back catalogue, the ones with John Beresford, Alan Thompson and Steve Howey are well worth a listen. Some class stories about the Keegan era as well as their general careers, all very good story tellers. Steve Watson did one too although I think it was one of their Patreon paid subscription ones & Trippier was on recently although given he's still active his is quite tame and feels very "media managed". Andy Woodman part 2 also has some interesting stuff on the Pardew era, although I'd recommend both parts anyway as Woody is very funny.

Andy Griffin has one on there too but as it's the second or third pod they ever made it isn't quite as good as the other ones.

There's one or two other ex-Toon players who've been on although they skim over their time here a bit - Marlon Harewood and Bradley Orr spring to mind.

Edited by Pilko

Football cliches is excellent. I think Hurrey seems justifiably a bit pissed off about the spurs lad using the general concept of it to make himself the cliche guy- his poetry book of commentary was fucking awful. 

Totally Football, despite its host being a national treasure, is just silly. The Guardian ran an article after England’s defeat to France being due to the latter’s ‘institutional memory’ of such ties. Which didn’t exist when they played Argentina of course, and would have been harder to sell if Kane had put his penalty away. Just kind of highlights how fatuous attempts to intellectualise football based on single games almost in real time is really. Definitely a place for Goodblatt placing football’s history in a social context, or Wilson using pivotal  matches from the game’s annals to riff about wider points related to tactics and the development of the sport, but self-evident nonsense when you’re Carl Anka (?) doing a bad version of that based on a game that was played last Tuesday and could have easily went the other way if not for a close VAR call. And they all do this pained intake of breath before delivering their sermon, as though forewarning us that our tiny minds are about to be blown. It jars horribly with the overall flimsiness of the conclusions being drawn. And they all hate Newcastle as well.

34 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Football cliches is excellent. I think Hurrey seems justifiably a bit pissed off about the spurs lad using the general concept of it to make himself the cliche guy- his poetry book of commentary was fucking awful. 

Totally Football, despite its host being a national treasure, is just silly. The Guardian ran an article after England’s defeat to France being due to the latter’s ‘institutional memory’ of such ties. Which didn’t exist when they played Argentina of course, and would have been harder to sell if Kane had put his penalty away. Just kind of highlights how fatuous attempts to intellectualise football based on single games almost in real time is really. Definitely a place for Goodblatt placing football’s history in a social context, or Wilson using pivotal  matches from the game’s annals to riff about wider points related to tactics and the development of the sport, but self-evident nonsense when you’re Carl Anka (?) doing a bad version of that based on a game that was played last Tuesday and could have easily went the other way if not for a close VAR call. And they all do this pained intake of breath before delivering their sermon, as though forewarning us that our tiny minds are about to be blown. It jars horribly with the overall flimsiness of the conclusions being drawn. And they all hate Newcastle as well.

The absolute worst of the worst. 

Well summed up, btw. Plenty of them are fine of course but many of them are exactly as you describe. Like if they get Michael Cox or Daniel Storey on, their input is usually more listenable. Richardson is obviously fine. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I've enjoyed Carl Anka on the Tifo podcast.

I do think there's something to knowing they can get the job done that France have and England don't. Also largely true of the Real Madrid's, Liverpool's compared to the Newcastle's.

Quite possibly, yes. But when I was reading the article, it was hard to shake the thought that had Kane scored his penalty (perhaps the fact that he didn’t supports the point, I suppose) the whole thing would have had to have been rewritten. Which does not make solid grounds for a thesis that was presented as definitive. I can enjoy that type of thing for what it is, in small doses, but it doesn’t half come across as pleased with itself despite its quite obvious limitations as analysis. Just lacked that bit of institutional memory in the final third for me, Clive. 

Edited by Hovagod

1 hour ago, TRC said:

Hot take, but I like Joe Devine on Tifo, I thought he was annoying but over the world cup and listening to him every day he has grown on me. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Quite possibly, yes. But when I was reading the article, it was hard to shake the thought that had Kane scored his penalty (perhaps the fact that he didn’t supports the point, I suppose) the whole thing would have had to have been rewritten. Which does not make solid grounds for a thesis that was presented as definitive. I can enjoy that type of thing for what it is, in small doses, but it doesn’t half come across as pleased with itself despite its quite obvious limitations as analysis. Just lacked that bit of institutional memory in the final third for me, Clive. 

Had he scored it would've been 2-2, with it all to play for. England were the better side for 10 minutes at 1-1 but created little opportunities. After that France got on top for 10 minutes, had 1 big chance saved and scored the other. Very typical of the sides.

Beyond that game. It's a theme for both countries. England have never beaten a team with the standing of Spain and Portugal on neutral ground at a major tournament KO round. Had England beaten France, it would have broken a generational curse or institutional PTSD - whatever you want to call it, it would be true. It's a narrative that many bought into going into the tournament not devised in retrospect.

3 hours ago, TRC said:

As always, the answer is Second Captains. Ken hates the Saudi ownership though, so you've got to be prepared for that.

23 minutes ago, Wullie said:

As always, the answer is Second Captains. Ken hates the Saudi ownership though, so you've got to be prepared for that.

Regular contributions from forum fav Miggy Delaney too. 

Edited by CFlan