Football podcasts

Gash

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You've nailed a point that I've wondered about that show for a while tbh. If they're wrong about Newcastle, are they wrong about everyone, and I just don't know any better? It's probably not as bad as that, but it does make you question the validity of their overall analysis and you wonder if they're just perpetuating the popular view for the sake of creating a (presumably lucrative) podcast. 

I know TFS's roots are much older and I do like James Richardson, but I have to say I find The Athletic's podcast output horribly pretentious at times, particularly 'The Football Show' and that obnoxiously loud fucking jingle. Mark Chapman and his terribly thoughtful hypothetical questions that he already knows the answer to, etc. So many contributors across the board just come across disingenuous and speak in such a false 'broadcast' tone which I find very tedious. Joe Devine on Tifo has a bit of stick and I don't mind him, but you still get a slightly false impression and that he's just trying to be Richardson. The Football Clichés one is alright in terms of its attitude but I never find it that interesting. 

I might as well have another go at Pod on the Tyne whilst I'm here. It's quite telling that, out of the millions of podcasts that Manscaped has infected - with their playfully-branded products we've all heard marketed a thousand times by now - it's Taylor Payne who can't get to the end of a plug without wheezing hysterically at the word 'balls'. Fucking grow up man, tedious bellend. 

Aye, they all sort of have that feel to them now and I can't get away from that point Disco made about James Horncastle being Gog from Peep Show :lol: . I actually don't mind Horncastle, but it feels true with some of the others on Tifo and TFS like. The attempts at humour are excrutiating, their analogies and insight are either forced or terrible, and it's all done with this air of superiority and sense that what they're saying is profound and important. Despite all that I still like James Richardson and I get the impression sometimes that he can't be arsed with the way they go on either. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, gdm said:

I know it’s been said before but it’s quite sad how unbelievably shite the football ramble has got. Doubt I’ll listen to it again 

I've been listening to it again recently and it's not great like. Marcus and Jim are still decent and I quite like Jules Breach, but the rest of them, even including Pete, are miles removed from what made it so popular in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've been listening to it again recently and it's not great like. Marcus and Jim are still decent and I quite like Jules Breach, but the rest of them, even including Pete, are miles removed from what made it so popular in the first place. 

Yeah Marcus is great but as you say miles removed from what made it popular. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye, they all sort of have that feel to them now and I can't get away from that point Disco made about James Horncastle being Gog from Peep Show :lol: . I actually don't mind Horncastle, but it feels true with some of the others on Tifo and TFS like. The attempts at humour are excrutiating, their analogies and insight are either forced or terrible, and it's all done with this air of superiority and sense that what they're saying is profound and important. Despite all that I still like James Richardson and I get the impression sometimes that he can't be arsed with the way they go on either. :lol: 

Yeah, exactly. 

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I feel like Richardson hates us for some reason. 

The Ramble is the one I listen to most consistently. Their On The Continent offering and Luke's Game alone are grand. 

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before but the Football Clichés podcast is always a good listen.

It's not focused on any one team or league more on the language and culture around football. 

Yeah I like Football Cliches too.

That, WFPI, Zonal Marking, Life Goals and some of the 90s pods. Didn't know Set Piece Menu had finished, thats a shame.

Stopped listening to Guardian years ago because of Glendenning and never liked a couple of the original Ramble guys.

I've felt for a while that I'm more than a bit sick of the whole format tbh. All the Preview/Review shows feel absolutely stale as fuck to me now. Pumping out 4 or 5 shows a week didn't help like: "let's spend an hour reviewing 3 bog standard PL fixtures from last night"

Once I started skipping a few, I started skipping more, and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything particularly interesting or insightful when I do.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before but the Football Clichés podcast is always a good listen.

It's not focused on any one team or league more on the language and culture around football. 

Probably my favourite podcast. Got read out the other week on one of the XI’s n all which is always nice.

7 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Yeah I like Football Cliches too.

That, WFPI, Zonal Marking, Life Goals and some of the 90s pods. Didn't know Set Piece Menu had finished, thats a shame.

Stopped listening to Guardian years ago because of Glendenning and never liked a couple of the original Ramble guys.

Temporary hiatus, so they say. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Joe Devine on Tifo

Think I’ve said it before on here but I genuinely hate him. He is literally incapable of speaking sincerely which is absolutely infuriating and he’s about as funny as pancreatic cancer. Awful. Which is a shame as the content of the show is decent but I can’t listen to it.

Finally sacked off Football Weekly this season n all. Will definitely tune in to the episode after we stay up if it happens though. Drink it those delicious salty tears.

Know what others are saying about Totally. The European one is contrived as fuck although I still listen as I don’t watch much European football these days. Julian Laurens has the presence of a rampant sex offender mind, weird little fucker.

I listened to Tifo the other day for the first time. They seem to have tapped into that cynicism about watching football that may have been refreshing decades ago when pundits were expected to be gushing but now just feels showy and obnoxious- ‘look at us, we know it’s pointless really!’ The host gave a big build up to one of the game and, sniggering, each of the panel said they hadn’t watched it. Well, neither had I, so what am I listening to this for?

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

You've nailed a point that I've wondered about that show for a while tbh. If they're wrong about Newcastle, are they wrong about everyone, and I just don't know any better? It's probably not as bad as that, but it does make you question the validity of their overall analysis and you wonder if they're just perpetuating the popular view for the sake of creating a (presumably lucrative) podcast. 

I know TFS's roots are much older and I do like James Richardson, but I have to say I find The Athletic's podcast output horribly pretentious at times, particularly 'The Football Show' and that obnoxiously loud fucking jingle. Mark Chapman and his terribly thoughtful hypothetical questions that he already knows the answer to, etc. So many contributors across the board just come across disingenuous and speak in such a false 'broadcast' tone which I find very tedious. Joe Devine on Tifo has a bit of stick and I don't mind him, but you still get a slightly false impression and that he's just trying to be Richardson. The Football Clichés one is alright in terms of its attitude but I never find it that interesting. 

I might as well have another go at Pod on the Tyne whilst I'm here. It's quite telling that, out of the millions of podcasts that Manscaped has infected - with their playfully-branded products we've all heard marketed a thousand times by now - it's Taylor Payne who can't get to the end of a plug without wheezing hysterically at the word 'balls'. Fucking grow up man, tedious bellend. 

True Faith the best of the lot IMO.

56 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pete was always a massive weak link on there IMO. Really frustrating when the resident NUFC fan is the only one who doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

• 2 months later...

Anybody else having bother downloading the totally football ones and other from the Athletic? I'm trying to do it on the podcast app on my phone and it keeps saying 'episode not currently unavailable' Any ideas?

On 11/02/2022 at 20:39, joeyt said:

Could never stand any of the Ramble lot.  I imagine Pete is the kind of guy who gets his cock out in the pub and thinks he's really funny and zany.

Marcus is great tbh - Vish and Jim decent too- Brassell is good but not in this context

6 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Marcus is great tbh - Vish and Jim decent too- Brassell is good but not in this context

OTC is the only one I bother with now. Brassell is class and I don't think they've had a guest on I don't like (Even Miguel Delaney seems alright when he doesn't have the opportunity to rant about us and City).

My only issue is Dotun absolutely torturing the fuck out of his links and segues. The other week it took him like 5 tries to recite a bit of Romeo and Juliet for no reason other than someone had mentioned Verona. He does it all the time too. Fucking know your audience mate! Nobody is listening to a football podcast for the Shakespeare.

I know he's just trying to add a bit of fun but I wish he'd fuck off with the food recommendations too.

• 1 month later...

S'true like. I don't mind TG and the rest of em but I dunno why the likes of them and that Lawrence Alcott fella are held in some sort of high regard when it comes to analysis.