Football podcasts

Gash

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I usually don't mind TF.  But found the last two a tough slog and turned the last one off.  There are a few on there that all merge into one, who don't really offer any insight or have much to say that you don't hear down the pub or at the match.  Constantly getting things wrong and just seem to be involved as they're all mates.

Hurst seems like a bellend on social media, but he's a good host on there I think.  There are a couple of more analytical types and some of the more jovial ones who I like listening to.  

I'm going to sound like a massive sexist here for singling her out :lol: and I'm sure she is a nice person.  But Charlotte is fucking awful on there.  It's like me talking to my sister, who doesn't really follow football, about a game.  After she has just done a night shift and then had a few bong hits for good measure. 

She genuinely comes out with some of the worst analysis I have ever heard and it boils down to things like 'run faster' and 'why are we passing the ball to the wrong person'. 

It is painful to listen to. 

:lol:

Don't usually bother with football pods but have tried with the main NUFC ones: Pod on the Tyne, True Faith and All Wi' Smilin' Faces in seasons gone by and AWSF is the best one of the three. Not that it's saying much. Remember listening to it way back when in the grim Carver era when it was just Kris and Mark in some pub in Shields but have given it a go again in recent months. At it's best when it's just Kris, Mark and Deka but that hardly happens now. Even then the pod as a whole is just more or less listening back to the conversation I had in the pub post game with the people I go to the match with rather than providing any real insight. Agree with what they say most of the time but hear nowt new if you get me.

The patter on POTT and TF is on the whole pretty lifting. POTT is self explanatory and TF provides no real insight either other than just 'yeah we're class'. Like aye, sound.

POTT is unlistenable. If you heard people bantering like that in the pub after the match you’d leave your pint and go literally anywhere else.

It should be much, much better than it is. There’s about 5 mins of decent football chat in among all the “Sergeant Waffles lolololol” and ads for the Athletic.

1 minute ago, christ said:

POTT is unlistenable. If you heard people bantering like that in the pub after the match you’d leave your pint and go literally anywhere else.

It should be much, much better than it is. There’s about 5 mins of decent football chat in among all the “Sergeant Waffles lolololol” and ads for the Athletic.

And fucking Taylor Payne wheezing like a fucking old kettle between every word.

The harsh truth is that none of them are any good at it. Needs a serious refresh.

Just now, Minhosa said:

And fucking Taylor Payne wheezing like a fucking old kettle between every word.

The harsh truth is that none of them are any good at it. Needs a serious refresh.

I think Waugh comes out with some genuinely insightful stuff. He’s obviously a bit of a tactics wonk. He can stay. Other two are dreadful.

Just now, christ said:

I think Waugh comes out with some genuinely insightful stuff. He’s obviously a bit of a tactics wonk. He can stay. Other two are dreadful.

He still sounds like a work experience kid man. Talks at a hundred mph, gets dragged into the inane bullshit the other two spout and has zero gravitas.

7 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I usually don't mind TF.  But found the last two a tough slog and turned the last one off.  There are a few on there that all merge into one, who don't really offer any insight or have much to say that you don't hear down the pub or at the match.  Constantly getting things wrong and just seem to be involved as they're all mates.

Hurst seems like a bellend on social media, but he's a good host on there I think.  There are a couple of more analytical types and some of the more jovial ones who I like listening to.  

I'm going to sound like a massive sexist here for singling her out :lol: and I'm sure she is a nice person.  But Charlotte is fucking awful on there.  It's like me talking to my sister, who doesn't really follow football, about a game.  After she has just done a night shift and then had a few bong hits for good measure. 

She genuinely comes out with some of the worst analysis I have ever heard and it boils down to things like 'run faster' and 'why are we passing the ball to the wrong person'. 

It is painful to listen to. 

Got to agree with regards to Charlotte like. Can never go more than a sentence without saying 'erm' it does my bloody head so much. Her knowledge is awful - Even last night she said we were into the semi finals and had to be corrected. Remember her saying Dubravka was also the best keeper we've ever had (think Caulkin was a guest and even he was slating her) 

Easily the best is AWSF by far although Besty is starting to get on my tits more and more these days as well :lol: Just goes off subject completely and always seems negative (tbf his knowledge is spot on though) 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

POTT is the worst by far, I actively hate Caulkin now. 

The very definition of don't meet your heroes.

He was superb, hidden behind the veil of the Times, only unleashed for public consumption every now and again.

The more you hear him, the less likeable he becomes.

Don't really care for mono club focused pods now though others are annoying too now since pretty much everyone hates us now. Tried Totally Football Show and god James Richardson who i used to like a lot just sounded bored stiff through every pod somehow, had no life in it. 

38 minutes ago, christ said:

Never has a man needed a sub-editor and a strict word limit more than Caulkin. 

Shearer's columns absolute stink of Caulkin. Messi and Mbappe, thank you for the 'beautiful madness.' Aye alright, 'Alan'. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Shearer's columns absolute stink of Caulkin. Messi and Mbappe, thank you for the 'beautiful madness.' Aye alright, 'Alan'. :lol:

Yep - it's as blatent as fuck, it's just Caulkin with Shearers name at the top [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I don't think it's hidden I'm sure I've seen it mentioned by both that Caulkin writes them from discussion with Shearer

Oh yeah, absolutely, I'm just pointing out the lack of subtlety. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not completely a football podcast but one I stumbled across and enjoyed while looking on the BBC football site was Gabby Logans' desert island discs. Spoke very affectionately about her time in Newcastle working at Metro radio and how she was almost in tears as she left for London for a new job with the Tyne bridge and SJP behind her. Chose the local hero song at that point and said anyone who knows Newcastle will tell you NUFC means everything to that city. Spoke about escaping the 1985 Bradford fire. Her dad Terry Yorath was working for Bradford at the time. Also spoke about losing her brother when he was only 15.

• 3 weeks later...