Football podcasts

Gash

Listened to Pod on the Tyne a few times now. Not sure what to make of it.

Often enjoyed Caulkin’s articles and his takes on the club. But he’s allergic to criticising Bruce. Seemed daft that he was questioning why we didn’t implement this style and tactics earlier in the season..... Then basically said 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 is no different, before back tracking. Then when he started criticising the tactics and the set up in more detail, it was always “Newcastle” and not “Bruce”.

Waugh seems pretty good and clued up. I don’t mind him.

The clips from Woodman’s interview were decent. He comes across really well.

Think he's pretty pally (paly?) with Bruce isn't he?

Under the Cosh seems like a great concept. Get some low cost former players who no doubt have plenty of good stories to tell and host it authentically.

Don't know how many subscribers they got, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the road to riches.

Under the Cosh seems like a great concept. Get some low cost former players who no doubt have plenty of good stories to tell and host it authentically.

Don't know how many subscribers they got, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the road to riches.

IMG-20210226-221807003.jpg

Not sure they've hit the big time just yet, I'm currently watching them on YouTube live and Parkin has just got a donna meat and chips takeaway after his 10th Peroni.

:lol: aye, Hollywood they ain't, but I quite like all three of them, crucially for this kind of podcast they don't interrupt the guests too often and just let them talk, so many of these the hosts won't shut the fuck up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If you love footballers talking about football, check out Jamie Carragher's Greatest Game podcast. There's no banter, it's players going over their career. One of the best selling points is players doing their five a side of best players they've played(I love a five a side/best 11s) with at the end and the best game they've ever played/watched. Just got through the Michael Owen one. My word is he a windbag. 

Edited by Astroblack

• 2 months later...

What do people listen to for a preview/review of the weekends PL action? Open to both light hearted and informative.

Used to enjoy the Football Ramble more when it was just the four of them, as natural as you could get. Still listen now but it's so forced at times.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

What do people listen to for a preview/review of the weekends PL action? Open to both light hearted and informative.

Used to enjoy the Football Ramble more when it was just the four of them, as natural as you could get. Still listen now but it's so forced at times.

Still quite like the Totally football show with James Richardson. 

41 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Guardian Football Weekly is the other big one on the preview/review schedule. It's good unless Barry Glendenning ever mentions Newcastle. I think Second Captains tend to do a bit of a round up as well though @Wullie may be able to comfirm. There's Football Daily on BBC Sounds as well, though I rarely bother with that. 

I gave up on the Ramble about a year ago when they made the rotating panel permanent.

It's all about the contributors rather than the specific podcast. I find all of the main weekend ones have a number of bland and uninteresting contributors. There's people, especially on the TFS, who I've heard speaking for dozens of hours and I couldn't even tell you their name or any opinion they hold.

I like Cox and Storey on the Totally Football Show but I can take or leave most of the others, I find the Guardian's Football Weekly line up to be generally more interesting despite Glendenning being thoroughly obnoxious re: NUFC.

Second Captains is absolutely the most interesting listen for my money. Ken Early is brilliant and they always have interesting contributors on. It tends to focus on the big stories from the weekend though (which usually means the big clubs) so you might not like it so much if that's not your bag. Over time I've found I actually prefer that. I get bored by the "3 minutes on Burnley vs Wolves, 4 minutes on Southampton vs Leeds" that the other formats settled on long ago.

Ramble is only good if Marcus is hosting ,

I think the athletic podcasts are good - always like the one with Chapman on though not a preview show 

Football Weekly and TFS both decent though sometimes bland

Totally and Guardian are my two for preview/review. Like others it usually depends who is on it to how good it is though. Guardian is pretty tabloid / Talksport at times. Usually listen to the Mark Chapman Athletic one mentioned albeit I can't remember what they changed the name too and the Set Piece Menu as well although both are less time sensitive. Dip in and out of Second Captains and the Totally Euro show as well, haven't found a good alternative for a Euro round up as it's so pundit dependent and some are total arse wipes.

Haven't listened to the Ramble in years. Went downhill IMO as soon as they tried to build their brand which was fairly predictable.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Totally and Guardian are my two for preview/review. Like others it usually depends who is on it to how good it is though. Guardian is pretty tabloid / Talksport at times. Usually listen to the Mark Chapman Athletic one mentioned albeit I can't remember what they changed the name too and the Set Piece Menu as well although both are less time sensitive. Dip in and out of Second Captains and the Totally Euro show as well, haven't found a good alternative for a Euro round up as it's so pundit dependent and some are total arse wipes.

Haven't listened to the Ramble in years. Went downhill IMO as soon as they tried to build their brand which was fairly predictable.

The Ramble European show is actually pretty good. Andy Brassel and Lars Sivertsen with Dotun hosting it these days. 

Karl Anka and James Horncastle are the only ones I don't like from across the board. The latter is a pretentious div but I can't put my finger on why I don't like Anka. Think it's literally just his intonation and general choice of language.