Football League Awards - Nolan Player of the Year

Thespence

Clyne captures Young Player prize

Crystal Palace starlet Nathaniel Clyne been named the FourFourTwo Young Player of the Year.

The announcement was made at the 2010 Football League Awards incorporating FourFourTwo’s Top 50 Football League Players at Grosvenor House, Park Lane on Sunday March 14 in front of more than 850 attendees from clubs, sponsors and representatives of the football industry.

The 18-year-old defender is ranked 17th in FourFourTwo’s Top 50 Football League Players list, making him the highest under-21 representative.

Past winners of the award include Fabian Delph, Michael Kightly, Gareth Bale and David Nugent.

The Stockwell-born attacking full-back continues to shine at Selhurst Park in a season blighted by off-field frustrations for the South London side.

A product of the club’s youth system after arriving from Tottenham Hotspur, Clyne has since made 45 league appearances for the Eagles, scoring once in a 4-2 win at Reading in December.

“It is very pleasing as there are a lot of young players out there playing first-team football. I’m very happy,” Clyne – who reportedly rejected a move to Wolverhampton Wanderers last month – says in the April issue of FourFourTwo magazine, in shops Monday.

And the England U19 international, who has represented his country on three occasions, paid tribute to former manager Neil Warnock – now at QPR following Palace’s move into administration – for handing him the opportunity to perform on the big stage.

“He gave me my first-team debut and I owe a lot for that opportunity. He gave me a lot of confidence to perform out on the field.”

The full interview with Clyne, plus additional exclusive one-on-ones with Kevin Nolan, Graham Dorrans, Jermaine Beckford, Craig Dawson, Lee Camp, Robbie Savage, Lee Hughes, Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert and the full rundown of the Top 50 Football League Players can be found in the April issue of FourFourTwo magazine – out Monday.

First time for everything.

They signed him a few years ago so he still spent time in their academy.

Would be like us saying Vuckic, Kadar, Ranger, Alnwick etc were products of our Academy.

I think if players join you before they are 15-16 you can claim they are academy players imho. It's like when we say Messi, Iniesta... are barça academy players when they started at other clubs, but moved there when they were 12-13.

Guest toonlass

Clyne captures Young Player prize

Crystal Palace starlet Nathaniel Clyne been named the FourFourTwo Young Player of the Year.

The announcement was made at the 2010 Football League Awards incorporating FourFourTwo’s Top 50 Football League Players at Grosvenor House, Park Lane on Sunday March 14 in front of more than 850 attendees from clubs, sponsors and representatives of the football industry.

The 18-year-old defender is ranked 17th in FourFourTwo’s Top 50 Football League Players list, making him the highest under-21 representative.

Past winners of the award include Fabian Delph, Michael Kightly, Gareth Bale and David Nugent.

The Stockwell-born attacking full-back continues to shine at Selhurst Park in a season blighted by off-field frustrations for the South London side.

A product of the club’s youth system after arriving from Tottenham Hotspur, Clyne has since made 45 league appearances for the Eagles, scoring once in a 4-2 win at Reading in December.

“It is very pleasing as there are a lot of young players out there playing first-team football. I’m very happy,” Clyne – who reportedly rejected a move to Wolverhampton Wanderers last month – says in the April issue of FourFourTwo magazine, in shops Monday.

And the England U19 international, who has represented his country on three occasions, paid tribute to former manager Neil Warnock – now at QPR following Palace’s move into administration – for handing him the opportunity to perform on the big stage.

“He gave me my first-team debut and I owe a lot for that opportunity. He gave me a lot of confidence to perform out on the field.”

The full interview with Clyne, plus additional exclusive one-on-ones with Kevin Nolan, Graham Dorrans, Jermaine Beckford, Craig Dawson, Lee Camp, Robbie Savage, Lee Hughes, Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert and the full rundown of the Top 50 Football League Players can be found in the April issue of FourFourTwo magazine – out Monday.

Was expecting Nicky Butt to win this award.

Clyne is a player I'd like to see us bring in during the summer, looks a real talent.

We won't!

I could name at least 5 Newcastle players who have had a better season than Fat Boy. Although I suppose they must have voted when he was scoring a few (those goals dried up a long time ago) which is a tad retarded. You know, voting on a player of the year when the season is nowhere near being over...

Some of the comments in this thread are awful, a Newcastle player has been recognised by Southern media and given an award. Is he supposed to turn around and say "actually 442, I can't accept this as the majority of Newcastle fans see Jose as our best player this season, we don't have our own Player of the Year award, so please give this to him"

:shifty:

Surely the likes of Brunt, Ambrose and Whittingham and Charlie Adam have performed better than him week in week out?

Wittingham has missed half the season has he not? and Brunt? really? Dorrans is a much better player...

Adam is superb, and probs a bit closer to the national opinion of Nolan than Nolan actually is...though Nolan is over-criticised on this forum like, his actual level of ability lies somewhere inbetween...

Guest firetotheworks

Forevermore the media, and other fans will talk like they know he was amazing for us in the Championship, and base it on this. It's a joke, he's not even in our top 5 players.

Surely the likes of Brunt, Ambrose and Whittingham and Charlie Adam have performed better than him week in week out?

Wittingham has missed half the season has he not? and Brunt? really? Dorrans is a much better player...

Adam is superb, and probs a bit closer to the national opinion of Nolan than Nolan actually is...though Nolan is over-criticised on this forum like, his actual level of ability lies somewhere inbetween...

Whittingham has played in 32 games so I assume not. Scored 16 goals ... 9 assists. Aye Dorrans is probably a better candidate than Brunt.

Can't see how Nolan has won this, at all.

Calculated using a mathematical formula developed by PA Sport alongside statisticians from Salford University, each player’s contribution to matches is examined including goals, shots, passes, dribbles, tackles, crosses, saves, clearances, blocks, interceptions, time on the pitch and number of points gained by their team. The formula has not been made public, and the lack of public scrutiny had rendered the index largely irrelevant.

Guest firetotheworks

Calculated using a mathematical formula developed by PA Sport alongside statisticians from Salford University, each player’s contribution to matches is examined including goals, shots, passes, dribbles, tackles, crosses, saves, clearances, blocks, interceptions, time on the pitch and number of points gained by their team. The formula has not been made public, and the lack of public scrutiny had rendered the index largely irrelevant.

It certainly looks that way based on the evidence we calculated using our eyes.

:lol:

To be expected, really. Think about it. It is natural that the player of the year would come from the club that is top of the league and has dominated the headlines all season. Other than Nolan ,the main options are Jonas, Enrique, and Colo: foreigners that are not particularly well known in England and don't score many goals. Kevin Nolan is a player who is well known and has been productive statistically, scoring more goals than all three of those combined. It is not illogical that fans of other teams would select him.